We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Transcript of MoFA Debate

[16:30] Islands: Hello and welcome to TSP decides: Cabinet election edition! Today we have @Omega for FA and @Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA who are both running for MoFA. The debate will go like this: ill ask a question that has been submitted or one i thought of and theyll have a moment to respond
[16:30] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: https://giphy.com/gifs/doctor-who-allons...ba4JdKkZWw
[16:30] Omega for FA: Get pumped
[16:31] Islands: So to start off i have a question for both of yall

[16:31] Islands: "What are some things that other MoFA people have done that you liked?  What about disagreed with?"
[16:31] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: Will you go first Omega or should I?
[16:31] Islands: Please feel free to type and awnser at your leisure
[16:34] Omega for FA: I have liked when we are some of the first to respond to a crisis abroad. Glen was always exceptional at making sure we had a reasoned response to what was going on but that it was representative of our values. 

To he second part of that, I remain opposed to having a full ambassador corps as I don’t think that is the best use of our resources.
[16:35] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I personally liked the fact that, under Glen, we officially became fendas - I think that was one of the best decisions made.
On the other hand I also kind of dislike that the FA has become increasingly less visible and that for example a treaty (CAIN) that is no longer in effect is still listed as current diplomatic document - I believe we need to make FA a lot more active and transparent, to let everyone engage with it and understand what is happening

[16:35] Islands: Q: What do you wish to accomplish by being elected MoFA?
[16:36] Islands: After this well be going into the weeds a bit
[16:37] Omega for FA: Create a more agile and effective Ministry that works to build up our image internationally by having genuine action and unwavering principles be the foundation of our foreign policy.
[16:37] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I primarily want to create an engaging and transparent office that will try to grow both NS and TSP, whether directly or indirectly. Keeping the FA small and invisible will hurt our visibility in the world and will hurt transparency. We should try to open up and engage.

[16:37] Islands: Question: Given that the New Pacific Order has recently reopened its diplomatic corps, do you think we should approach them and see if we can reestablish relations? If so, paper or paperless?
[16:39] Omega for FA: Great FA relies upon having a personal relationship with FA ministers across NS. I would approach their new head of FA but I would let them approach with any official requests. To that same end, we need to make sure the cabinet as a whole is on board with any official plan.
[16:39] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I believe we should try to have good relations with all GCRs.
As for paper vs paperless: I believe some informal discussions and agreements to warmer relations are a good step towards having an actual written agreement which I would strive for.

[16:39] Islands: Question: What regions do you think we should approach for more formal ties?
[16:42] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I believe we should primarily focus on democratic regions and defenders.
TSP has strong democratic ideals and we want to see these ideals protected and supported across the world.

And defenders are natural allies for us, since we are defenders ourselves, however that does not mean we should bend over backwards to acommodate authoritarian backwaters because they are defenders.
[16:42] Omega for FA: That was my answer!
[16:42] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: Sorry but we obviously agree on this part :p

[16:42] Islands: i have a question for mofa candidates - are there any important fa situations they would have handled differently themselves, and if so, how exactly?
[16:43] Omega for FA: In all honesty we are a bit limited when it comes to GCRs at this point so... let’s wait.
[16:43] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I do agree that we are limited with regard to GCRs but I would still like to see solid GCR relations if possible.
[16:44] Islands: After this next q well be moving onto direct questions
[16:44] Omega for FA: In response to that question, I got into this a bit with Roavin earlier in my campaign thread. The Funk coup continues to be my example only because I wish we had assembled a broader coalition. What TSP did was great, we just needed to get our allies to work with us.
[16:44] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: And other than making the FA less visible, there are no recent decisions I would criticise currently

[16:45] Islands: "Great FA relies upon having a personal relationship with FA ministers across NS." - how does each candidate think their relationships are with other fa ministers already, have they already started working on this? + does sasha agree that this is what is necessary?
[16:48] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I have been trying to build up more knowledge about other regions and specifically joined the TNP discord recently - however, I will openly admit that I currently do not have significant relations with any other region and that this is something I will very much need to work on and for which I will need support from my advisors.

And while I do think that good relations with other FA ministers are very helpful, they are not strictly necessary and I believe they can be supplemented by skilled advisors and ambassadors.
[16:48] Omega for FA: With the major GCRs I am at least acquainted with the FA ministers there so I feel good about my ability to quickly build up those relationships.

[16:48] Islands: a question for sasha specifically: he's said that if he wins he'll appoint glen as an advisor. let's say glen isn't an option. who would he pick to make up his team?
and for omega specifically, to be fair: only major ucrs are covered in the plan, but as defenders, we end up helping founderless small ucrs fairly often. would fa get involved with those founderless regions, or would he prefer that our involvement with founderless regions remain purely military?
[16:50] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I would definitely like to ask Omega, especially after seeing his efforts in his campaign.
Otherwise, I would start an open recruitment to see who is available and I would try to have the assembly pass one or more informal resolutions endorsing my choices.
[16:50] Omega for FA: I prefer that we keep those relationships largely military based. Not to devalue those regions, but our resources can be better used elsewhere. Of course, if a smaller region wants a closer relationship with TSP I would be open to discussing the possibility with them.

[16:50] Islands: Question for sasha : with your lack of experience, why do you think you’re fit for the job?
And for omega : omega, while not super established in TSP, you’ve been here for a while. How will you incorporate new blood in your term?
[16:51] Omega for FA: Well I would open applications for my core positions to anyone and I would not be opposed to my 4 core staffers having a small staff of their own.
[16:52] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I believe that despite my lack of experience, I can reasonably judge situations, (try to) learn things and use the information advisors, ambassadors and the general region gives me.
I want to be open to criticism and advice and I believe that I am able to be so and engage with people.
[16:52] Omega for FA: Also, I have been here since 2015 for the record albeit with a major lapse until about 6 months ago.

[16:53] Islands: Now for the feel good questions from my brain: Compliment the other guy.
[16:54] Omega for FA: Sasha presents a plan, that while I disagree with, is very well thought out. If they can think that out that well, I am excited to see what they will do next.
[16:54] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I think that Omega has had a very focused and intelligent campaign and I agree with almost everything, except trying to keep FA small and invisible and not having active ambassadors.

[16:54] Islands: Its to my understanding that youre enjoying breakfast rn omega? What are you having? What did you have for breakfast sasha?
[16:54] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I had bread with cheese and a home made pepper sauce
[16:55] Omega for FA: Ah yes brunch. Biscuit, sausage, Swedish meatballs, and coffee.
[16:55] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: oh and tea ofc, always tea

[16:55] Islands: Question: Where is TSP in the greater context of interregional politics? Where should it be?
[16:57] Omega for FA: That's a bit vague but I think the best thing we can do is make sure we control the debate over the values that matter in NS.
[16:57] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I think TSP is in a good position - we are big, fairly stable and have solid allies - but I believe TSP needs to try and engage more actively/transparently with the world and should try to make itself a valuable asset with the WIB

[16:57] Islands: Moderator question: what are those values?
[16:57] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: democracy I hope!
[16:58] Omega for FA: Self determination is key.
[16:58] Islands: Can you both describe what you mean
[17:00] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: democracy means that a region should actively, fairly decide who runs it and how without resorting to undemocratic practices as ejecting (potentially) opposition members (unless they break actual, non-political rules) and that regions should not be controlled by foreign invaders but by their native population
[17:01] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: essentially, I absolutely agree with Omega's "self-determination", even if I prefer the more narrow term democracy
[17:03] Omega for FA: We need to respect the rights of natives to decide what government they want and we need to make sure other regions do the same. If natives truly want a dictatorship that is okay but it's up to natives. However, a raider ideology is diametrically opposed to this idea and so we can not trust raiders to uphold these same values.

[17:03] Islands: What action should tsp take on tep?
[17:04] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I believe we still need to see how it develops further, though we should contact TRR and be prepared to withdraw from the January Accords.
Hasty action is not wise action.
[17:05] Omega for FA: Without being to specific, I think we ought to coordinate with TRR on a specific response that both regions agree with. We should wait until this election concludes (barring any irregularities) to act but be prepared to act should the situation rapidly deteriorate.

[17:05] Islands: Would you consider bringing tsp into the parameters laid out by the internationale for alliance?
[17:08] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I am currently not sufficiently aware of them, so I decline to comment, other than saying that I would not oppose any democratic and fenda alliance, unless it would require us to break with another close ally or if that democracy espouses extreme or hateful ideas or if it would require us to do things we are not actually able to do
[17:08] Omega for FA: I am afraid I am unfamiliar with those parameters but based on the fact no other GCR has in-game embassies with them, it may not be wise.
[17:08] Islands: These are the requirements
[17:08] Islands:
[17:09] Islands: Question to Sasha: If elected, can you stop using the term "fenda" in most situations
[17:09] Islands: Question to Omega: do you expect another long hiatus from ns and tsp anytime?
[17:09] Omega for FA: Again, based on the fact no other GCR has relations, I would be warry of it.
[17:09] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I do not agree with giving TSP the communist tag, therefore, no
[17:10] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: and I will try to refrain from using it as abbreviation in official communications
[17:10] Omega for FA: No. My previous one was because I no longer had access to a computer that could access NS. That will not be a problem again. Tee only thing is Saturdays of home LSU football games I am not the most available.

[17:10] Islands: Would either of yall seek to formalize relations with xki?
[17:11] Omega for FA: Yes. They are a great defender region with a strong democratic tradition. I would of course coordinate with MA on this matter.
[17:12] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I would like clarification on which region you mean exactly - I believe I know but still
[17:12] Islands: More non serious questions:
[17:12] Islands: Cake or pie?
[17:12] Islands: Oh my bad- thousand islands
[17:12] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: BISCUITS! and both of those
[17:12] Omega for FA: Cake. Pie doesn't go great with my morning coffee.
[17:13] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: and yes, I believe that they are a good region to ally with

[17:13] Islands: It is the opinion of your humble moderator that the two greatest albums ever are pure heroine by lorde and jagged little pill by alanis morrisette, which do you prefer?
[17:14] Omega for FA: I just listen to jukebox and the ghost these days sorry.
[17:14] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I decline to answer and choose to listen to Stairway to Heaven for the umpteenth time now

[17:14] Islands: What region would you least like to exist in ns?
[17:15] Omega for FA: Umm they aren't regions but I wish LWU and the Rhals would cease to exist.
[17:15] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: any region that is not just roleplaying as fascist without taking it seriously but actually fascist and hateful, or any other kind of extremist hateful ideology

[17:16] Islands: Where do you see yourself in one year tsp wise?
[17:16] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: hopefully still active and established?
[17:17] Omega for FA: I'm not sure in all honesty. Hopefully advising a new MoFA as they prepare to wrap up their term.
[17:17] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I honestly don't know exactly - I like to see what will happen

[17:17] Islands: Would you seek to negotiate formally with the government in osiris?
[17:18] Omega for FA: If they repeal the proscription I'd be willing to talk with them. Until then, no.
[17:18] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I would make it clear that formal negotiations require them to lift the proscription - it is not possible to communicate properly with them otherwise
[17:18] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I would however informally ask if there is any assurance TSP can give so they will lift the proscription

[17:19] Islands: Now for two hardball questions:
[17:19] Islands: If you plan on asking omega to be deputy or main advisor, then why not just let him be mofa?
[17:20] Islands: If you plan on only letting the staff be a few people big, then what happens when they get bored? Arent you setting the ministry up to burn? <omega
[17:22] Omega for FA: If they get bored, I would always be open to incorporating new members to the staff. Hopefully, with the larger portfolios they will always be able to find something to do and I would always be happy to work with them to find ways to keep them interested in foreign policy.
[17:22] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: Omega and I have very different opinions on the size and engagement of the FA and on my World Info Book idea - I want people to see and believe that a more active and engaged TSP and Nationstates is possible, make them talk about my idea.
And I would like to see my idea enacted which I believe would not happen under Omega.
[17:22] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: Also, I believe that I can do a decent job if I have skilled advisors.

[17:23] Islands: The other day i saw a man with a hat on it that said "Mofa" on it, do you think this is a sign that youll win?
[17:24] Omega for FA: Maybe.
[17:25] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: that is an odd and most likely unrelated sight - I am not superstitious and don't believe in things like astrology
(though ofc I will follow certain cultural taboos that are the result of superstition because it would be rude not to)

[17:25] Islands: What is one thing youd change about tsp?
[17:27] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I'd like TSP to embrace its role as feeder more because I believe doing so would greate (positive) activity, amke TSP friendlier and grow the game in general.
I believe that it would also make it harder for other regions to just attack TSP because we'd be providing them with new people, growth and activity.
[17:27] Omega for FA: I wish we had greater interest in FA as a region.

[17:27] Islands: What do you hope your legacy will be mofawise when people look back at this term?
[17:28] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: A successful World Info Book and Expat Service! What else but my key policies?
[17:28] Omega for FA: In a year I hope people look back and see that I started us down the path to become a superpower.

[17:29] Islands: Last question: do you have a question for me?
[17:29] Omega for FA: Why did you agree to do this?
[17:29] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: Yes! What do you expect us to ask you?
[17:29] Islands: I had nothing to do this morning and wanted to make sure i was up for football
[17:30] Islands: And i thought that youd make a "who will you vote for :stuck_out_tongue: " joke
[17:30] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: Oh, I would never jinx my campaign like that :p
[17:30] Islands: In any case thank you both!
[17:30] Omega for FA: Thanks to you for hosting!
[17:31] Islands: @Legislators make sure to read this!
[17:31] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: You're welcome! Have a very merry TSP day everyone! Thank you, Islands and Omega for the debate and thanks to everyone following and asking questions!
[17:33] Omega for FA: Sasha I look forward to the rest of this campaign. Islands thanks for hosting and for everyone watching thanks for tuning and taking an interest in this race. No matter who wins, I feel confident in the future of TSP foreign policy.
[17:34] Sir Winnie | Running for MoFA: I look forward to the rest of the campaign and the vote too! You're all allowed to ask us questions of course, even if the debate is over!
[-] The following 3 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, Rebeltopia