We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[COMMUNICATION] AMA about the TEP Coup

Fellow South Pacificans,

almost as soon as it started, it has already ended - the coup of our ally the East Pacific is over. Vizier (TEP's equivalent of CRS member) Aelitia now holds the Delegacy, and things will slowly but surely transition back to normal over there.

A significant component of the successful anti-coup efforts were the speed at which TEP's allies (including us) responded to the situation. However, an unfortunate side-effect of that speed was that there simply wasn't that much time to keep all of you fully informed on what was happening in those stressful 24 hours. More reports and statements about all of this will be coming out in due time, both from us and from other regions that helped with the effort, but it's important to answer all of your questions as well.

In this thread, I welcome and encourage all of you (no matter if you're a Legislator or not) to ask all that you want to know about the coup, what led to it, and what's going to happen now. I'll try to answer as soon as I can.

-- Roavin
Interim Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces

Some reading about the situation for those that are interested:
Official Statement from The Legitimate Government of TEP
Master List of Statements on TEP Coup (includes our statement!)
TEP Liberation Memes
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 4 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Aga, Belschaft, Poppy, Rebeltopia

Couldn't the cabinet make it more exciting next time?

In all seriousness, how will the cabinet ensure the safe passage of delegacy to Marrabuk in a timely manner, and when will pilers be ordered to retreat?
Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aga's post:
  • Roavin

Regarding what Aggie said: there were a number of nations that are not proper military members (and don't intend to be) that still helped for various reasons. Will you address them separately in any way?
These people may not want to stay in a foreign region for too long :p
[-] The following 2 users Like Sasha's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin

(10-15-2019, 06:10 AM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: Couldn't the cabinet make it more exciting next time?

We'll let the coupers dangle a while longer next time. Tounge

(10-15-2019, 06:10 AM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: In all seriousness, how will the cabinet ensure the safe passage of delegacy to Marrabuk in a timely manner, and when will pilers be ordered to retreat?

The exact details are TBD, but we'll be coordinating with the Viziers in TEP and the involved regions. Pile orders will be required for some time, as even though this coup was a short one the influence structures in TEP were quite destabilized. I don't have a specific time frame I could give you, but just based on experience, I wager it will probably be a couple of weeks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Poppy

(10-15-2019, 06:16 AM)Sasha Wrote: Regarding what Aggie said: there were a number of nations that are not proper military members (and don't intend to be) that still helped for various reasons. Will you address them separately in any way?
These people may not want to stay in a foreign region for too long :p

MoMA Heliseum will address the individuals from the citizen military separately, and the citizen militia will likely be returning home significantly sooner than the SPSF piler force (within this week for sure, maybe even today).

I don't have the numbers (yet) but once again I'm very happy to see that when the going gets tough for an ally, our citizen militia can and will put in the effort to help out where it can. The South Pacific is not a fair-weather ally, and things like these reinforce that very much.
[-] The following 5 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Gordon Freeman, Nakari, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Sasha

How will the cabinet discourage future coups?
Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aga's post:
  • Poppy

Will there be ribbons distributed to the people who deployed to tep?
Legislator
Minister of Media
Former Deputy Chair of the Assembly (x3)
Former MoRA
Former Deputy MoRA
Ambassador to XKI
Anti-Establishment Populist
[-] The following 1 user Likes islands_of_unity's post:
  • Poppy

(10-15-2019, 06:23 AM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: How will the cabinet discourage future coups?

Well, there will always be bad faith actors that will attempt to do such things in various places across NS. That can't really be prevented, only mitigated and worked against by having sound regional security protocols and mechanisms in place.

That being said, I sincerely hope that the brutally effective response to the coup is a deterrent to others that are toying with that idea.

(10-15-2019, 06:23 AM)islands_of_unity Wrote: Will there be ribbons distributed to the people who deployed to tep?

Breaking News: YES.
[-] The following 5 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Aga, Gordon Freeman, islands_of_unity, Nakari, Poppy

I've included a few dispatch links in the OP for some reading.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Poppy

What's your favourite of the coup memes?
[-] The following 3 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin