We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DRAFT] Gameside voting on Cabinet

Just an idea. Not sure if it'd work or have strong advantages, but in light of the recent discussions about gameside integration, I thought I'd post it. I don't mean to signal, by posting amendment text as opposed to a discussion thread, that this is actually much more than a vague idea at this point -- but it might be useful to have something like gameside voting for cabinet on the table while we're working out the parallel cabinet-expansion/LC involvement discussions.

[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Somyrion's post:
  • Beepee

I think this is really putting the cart before the horse. We dont even know what gameside wants from us, since this is the first group of LC in years to have any care to bring up that gameside MAY want something to do with the offsite government.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Beepee, Omega

(12-20-2019, 08:41 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: I think this is really putting the cart before the horse. We dont even know what gameside wants from us, since this is the first group of LC in years to have any care to bring up that gameside MAY want something to do with the offsite government.

Maybe the Local Council should post a nonbinding poll on the matter.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 3 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Aga, Beepee, Omega

Following on from the discussion last night and this morning.

The LC will be asking the gameside shortly what they want, if anything, from any assembly, cabinet / Ministers.

As the representatives of the players in the region, our (LC) initial thoughts are that we seek greater interaction between the off-site and game side communities, but we shall expand on this after further discussion with gameside.

Either myself or Slab will inform the Assembly once this is complete.

Yours,
[-] The following 3 users Like Beepee's post:
  • Jay Coop, Seraph, Somyrion

I’m not inclined to support this, as I’m not convinced that the RMB is an effective platform for discussing the kind of issues that are relevant to Cabinet elections. Nor am I convinced that the average WA member in TSP has sufficient knowledge of the issues relating to foreign, security and military policy to cast a meaningful and informed vote.

Delegate elections are a special case and I’ve always been an advocate of having them conducted in-game from the moment it became viable within game mechanics. I would be more interested in looking at the way the LC & MoRA interact with each other than moving Cabinet elections in-game.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 6 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Beepee, Omega, Roavin, Ryccia, Seraph, Somyrion

Why do we have to do this every 6 months? This has been proven to be a bad idea time and time again. The RMB barely likes the Local Council elections. Every single time more politics is forced into the RMB, the majority of people there get annoyed and angry. And the minority who like it end up causing problems and, let’s face it, become a source of toxicity.

Polling the RMB is a fool’s errand, and I just don’t understand why the lesson is never retained. Every time the Cabinet is composed of a relatively new set of leaders, particularly in RA, we have to go through this painful exercise. Yes, the RMB will say it wants everything to happen on the RMB. (And yes, it’s obvious if you ask an LC member if they want more influence and power for the LC, they will say yes...) Yes, they will say they want more power. No, they won’t actually mean it and won’t like it if it’s ever implemented. Please, for the sake of the community, stop trying this. You aren’t doing the right thing, even if you think you are.
[-] The following 3 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Omega, Rebeltopia, Ryccia

I've been staying out of this discussion — and plan to remain that way.

But ... how many times are Bel and Glen on the same side of an issue?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 6 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Belschaft, Jay Coop, Omega, Rebeltopia, Roavin, Ryccia

(12-22-2019, 12:15 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I've been staying out of this discussion — and plan to remain that way.

But ... how many times are Bel and Glen on the same side of an issue?

It's a Christmas miracle.
[-] The following 6 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Beepee, Omega, Rebeltopia, Ryccia, Seraph, Tsunamy

(12-22-2019, 10:51 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: Why do we have to do this every 6 months? This has been proven to be a bad idea time and time again. The RMB barely likes the Local Council elections. Every single time more politics is forced into the RMB, the majority of people there get annoyed and angry. And the minority who like it end up causing problems and, let’s face it, become a source of toxicity.

This is pretty much EXACTLY what I was saying in discord the other day. In theory it works. In practice... not so much.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

To be fair ... I think it's been a bit more than six months since the last time we've had this discussion.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 4 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Beepee, Belschaft, Omega, Seraph