We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to the Elections Act (RON-threshold in Approval Voting)

This Amendment to the Elections Act seeks to resolve a discrepancy in the law. While both the Office of the Delegate and the Office of the Chair uses approval voting, only the latter requires that a victorious candidate be elected with approvals from more than 50% of those who have cast their ballot. Moreover, this Amendment clarifies the language used in Article 5(2)c.; noting that there may only be one winner in the Chair election.

Tip of the hat to @Farengeto who pointed out this issue.

Amendment to Articles 3 & 5' Wrote:
ELECTIONS ACT

3. Office of the Delegate

(2) On the first of every January and July, the Assembly will convene for the first round of Delegate elections.
a. Any eligible legislator wishing to run for Delegate may declare their candidacy, and the Assembly will debate the merits of their platform. Any player who has been banned from World Assembly membership will be considered ineligible and any candidate who is later discovered to be banned from World Assembly membership will be immediately disqualified.
b. The campaign and debate period will last one week, after which the Assembly will vote for 3 days.
c. This round of voting for delegate will be conducted using Approval Voting.
d. The two candidates with the highest number of approvals will move to a second round of voting conducted via a poll of Native World Assembly members.
e. Should the voting result in a tie, more than two nations may move onto the second round of voting.
f. If an advancing candidate receive less than 50% approval, the option to Re-Open Nominations will be "approved", and the process for that slot shall begin again at the campaign and debate period.

5. Office of the Chair

(2) The voting for the Chair will be conducted using Approval Voting.
a. Voters may vote for as many candidates as they approve of, or vote for none by voting to Re-Open Nominations.
b. The candidate with the highest percentage of approval will be elected.
c. Should no If the winning candidate receive at least less than 50% approval, the option to Re-Open Nominations will be "elected".
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Seraph

No thanks
Legislator
Minister of Media
Former Deputy Chair of the Assembly (x3)
Former MoRA
Former Deputy MoRA
Ambassador to XKI
Anti-Establishment Populist

(01-13-2020, 03:23 AM)islands_of_unity Wrote: No thanks

Could you please elaborate?

I feel like these amendments clarify the language used as well as fixing the discrepancy that you have spotted. I don't see anything wrong with the amendments. I agree that if the Delegate candidate receive less than 50% of the votes that the option for re-nomination should be approved. Do you see a problem I am not detecting, Islands of Unity?
Al0neForever, joined 9th January 2020
Regional Fellow
SWAN Knight
Legislator
[-] The following 1 user Likes Al0neForever's post:
  • Amerion

I agree with this. I don't think we want people getting put through to the second round without at least 50% support offsite.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 2 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Amerion, Somyrion

Yes, a position such as important as this should require at least 50% approval to move on. If it was anything less, I would be a little worried.
Al0neForever, joined 9th January 2020
Regional Fellow
SWAN Knight
Legislator
[-] The following 1 user Likes Al0neForever's post:
  • Amerion

Should be "receives", not "receive". Also, I'd swap it to the 50%+1 definition (e.g. "greater than" instead of "at least") rather than a straight 50%.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farengeto's post:
  • Amerion

(01-15-2020, 10:27 PM)Farengeto Wrote: Should be "receives", not "receive". Also, I'd swap it to the 50%+1 definition (e.g. "greater than" instead of "at least") rather than a straight 50%.

Does this work?:

Amendment to Articles 3 & 5' Wrote:
ELECTIONS ACT

3. Office of the Delegate

(2) On the first of every January and July, the Assembly will convene for the first round of Delegate elections.
a. Any eligible legislator wishing to run for Delegate may declare their candidacy, and the Assembly will debate the merits of their platform. Any player who has been banned from World Assembly membership will be considered ineligible and any candidate who is later discovered to be banned from World Assembly membership will be immediately disqualified.
b. The campaign and debate period will last one week, after which the Assembly will vote for 3 days.
c. This round of voting for delegate will be conducted using Approval Voting.
d. The two candidates with the highest number of approvals will move to a second round of voting conducted via a poll of Native World Assembly members.
e. Should the voting result in a tie, more than two nations may move onto the second round of voting.
f. If an advancing candidate receives less than 50%+1 approval, the option to Re-Open Nominations will be "approved", and the process for that slot shall begin again at the campaign and debate period.

5. Office of the Chair

(2) The voting for the Chair will be conducted using Approval Voting.
a. Voters may vote for as many candidates as they approve of, or vote for none by voting to Re-Open Nominations.
b. The candidate with the highest percentage of approval will be elected.
c. Should no If the winning candidate receives at least less than 50%+1 approval, the option to Re-Open Nominations will be "elected".

Looks good to me.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Oh boy did I forget about this haha.

I motion for this bill to go to a vote.