We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Competing bills are kinda messy.

Hello. There's a problem and I have no solution I can think of for it. So I'm throwing it out to the Assembly cause someone out there probably has some idea.

Currently, under the Legislative Procedure Act:
Quote:(5) Should a debate lead to multiple competing bills or resolutions on the same matter, the Chair will separately and simultaneously bring the competing bills or resolutions to vote, in the same manner as regular business is done. The bill or resolution that receives the most votes in favor and meets minimum threshold requirements for passage will become law.

We have no solution if multiple votes meet the minimum threshold and have the same number of votes in favour.

This seemed like it was a genuine possibility at one point in the MoRA splitting vote. While it is a rare situation that we get competing bills that are close to each other, it could lead to exploitation in those situations: for example, people who do not like either of two competing bills could co-ordinate to make sure the bills are drawn, meaning that there is no clear winner and leading to legal issues, which could delay the passing of the bills in question for months, even if a vast majority of the region wants them. (The same could happen even without exploitation, of course, but that's less dramatic.)

So I bring this to the Assembly to discuss. What should we do about this?

Okay, since both have commanded the support needed to become law then a head to head between the two should be held to decide which is to become law.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(01-26-2020, 07:16 PM)Omega Wrote: Okay, since both have commanded the support needed to become law then a head to head between the two should be held to decide which is to become law.

Counter issue: Three or more competing votes get sufficient support, one can win with a minority of votes in favour in the run-off.

(01-26-2020, 07:16 PM)Omega Wrote: Okay, since both have commanded the support needed to become law then a head to head between the two should be held to decide which is to become law.

Isn't a competing bill scenario already a head-to-head? (Especially in situations where there were only two to begin with.)

(01-26-2020, 07:25 PM)Nakari Wrote: Isn't a competing bill scenario already a head-to-head?

I'm assuming Omega means that there would be a second vote in which one of the two options will become law. The first vote was aye or nay, but the second vote is one proposal over the other.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(01-26-2020, 07:25 PM)Nakari Wrote:

Isn't a competing bill scenario already a head-to-head? (Especially in situations where there were only two to begin with.)

Perhaps he means (or could mean) have the two bills as a poll where legislators can choose either (or none) but not both?
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(01-26-2020, 07:39 PM)Seraph Wrote:

Perhaps he means (or could mean) have the two bills as a poll where legislators can choose either (or none) but not both? 

Ah that could work, yeah.

That could lead to a tie as well, though Tounge
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(01-26-2020, 07:50 PM)Roavin Wrote: That could lead to a tie as well, though Tounge

What if we make it so that, if there is a tie, neither becomes law?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(01-26-2020, 07:39 PM)Seraph Wrote:

Yes, that is what I mean. CoA could not vote in case this leads to a tie and then they get a casting vote.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021