We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to the Regional Officers Act

Quote:2. Regional Officers

(4) The Council on Regional Security will be allotted [font]at least[/font] three Regional Officer positions and granted Border Control and Communications powers.
The new phrasing is bad. The math doesn't add up to 12 slots either*. Let's just keep this open-ended.

*(Between 8 and 11 out of a maximum of 12. But even the 11 requires the existence of a fifth Cabinet member, so the law only lets us have a maximum of 10.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Farengeto's post:
  • Amerion, Divine Owl, phoenixofthesun14

Also, given the simplicity of this amendment which is intended to fix a clear oversight/error, and that without it half of the CRS should currently be unnecessarily stripped of their Regional Officer positions, I request we waive the debate time and send this to vote. (With the requisite motion to vote.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Farengeto's post:
  • Amerion, Divine Owl, phoenixofthesun14

A slightly amended draft to bring this proposal in line with the Law Standards Act.

Amendment to Article 2 of the Regional Officers Act Wrote:
Regional Officers Act

2. Regional Officers

(4) The Council on Regional Security will be allotted at least three Regional Officer positions and granted Border Control and Communications powers.

I also Second the Motion to Waive and Second the Motion to Vote.

Hi there!  

Understanding the nature of the amendment and the fact that it has been waived and seconded, according to the Legislative Procedure Act,

Quote:
Legislative Procedure Act
An Act to define the procedural rules of the Assembly

2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair

(7) The Chair may waive the mandatory debate period remaining on a particular piece of legislation should a legislator motion for them to do so, provided that there has been no objection within 24 hours of the motion being made and seconded  

I will open this amendment to vote Saturday, February 7th 2020, 01:30 UTC.

Wasn't this the intention (if not the phrasing) of the original allocation? Like, I always thought the CRS spots were expendable? 

I mean, I'm in favor this is vote/change, but want to make that clear.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(02-06-2020, 11:41 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Wasn't this the intention (if not the phrasing) of the original allocation? Like, I always thought the CRS spots were expendable? 

I mean, I'm in favor this is vote/change, but want to make that clear.

Perhaps. I suspect we might have briefly discussed that possibility in an earlier instance of this bill and that when the original bill failed and this addendum was created as a standalone bill, we forgot to amend the language.

When I first proposed the amendment to the Regional Officers Act, it was in the context of a proposed Cabinet expansion. The assumption I made in that was that we would have a Prime Minister, four Cabinet ministers, three CRS members, three Local Council members, and one vacant RO spot for when we need an Election Commissioner.

Adding this altogether, that would be 12 Regional Officers, which is the game-enforced cap at the moment. However, I would be supportive of amending the Regional Officers Act to give vacant spots to the CRS.

EDIT:

I'm also gonna have to object to the motion to vote because the following clause will have to be amended too:

Quote:(6) Members of the Council on Regional Security who concurrently serve as another Regional Officer named in this Act shall be granted the powers of both offices. This will not count toward the three Regional Officer positions allotted to the Council on Regional Security.

ONE MORE EDIT:

Should we also change "will" to "shall" in the Regional Officers Act?

Quote:The Council on Regional Security willshall be allotted...

This should also apply to the other clauses.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Amerion

(02-07-2020, 12:39 AM)Jay Coop Wrote: When I first proposed the amendment to the Regional Officers Act, it was in the context of a proposed Cabinet expansion. The assumption I made in that was that we would have a Prime Minister, four Cabinet ministers, three CRS members, three Local Council members, and one vacant RO spot for when we need an Election Commissioner.

On the last point about the Election Commissioner, I think we can also strike that from the text as the CRS generally chooses an EC from amongst its ranks. It is very unlikely that all members will be unavailable for EC duties. With that being said, if people are supportive of leaving it in there just in case such an event does happen, I am fine with that as well.

(02-07-2020, 12:39 AM)Jay Coop Wrote: ...

I'm also gonna have to object to the motion to vote because the following clause will have to be amended too:

Quote:(6) Members of the Council on Regional Security who concurrently serve as another Regional Officer named in this Act shall be granted the powers of both offices. This will not count toward the three Regional Officer positions allotted to the Council on Regional Security.

Rather than striking this portion out entirely, would it be satisfactory to amend that particular sentence to 'This will not count toward the three Regional Officer positions allotted to the Council on Regional Security'?

(02-07-2020, 12:39 AM)Jay Coop Wrote: ...

ONE MORE EDIT:

Should we also change "will" to "shall" in the Regional Officers Act?

Quote:The Council on Regional Security willshall be allotted...

This should also apply to the other clauses.

Is there a difference between will and shall? I have always used them interchangeably.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Jay Coop

(02-07-2020, 04:30 AM)Amerion Wrote: On the last point about the Election Commissioner, I think we can also strike that from the text as the CRS generally chooses an EC from amongst its ranks. It is very unlikely that all members will be unavailable for EC duties. With that being said, if people are supportive of leaving it in there just in case such an event does happen, I am fine with that as well.

You make a good point here and I too will leave it to opinion of other legislators.

(02-07-2020, 04:30 AM)Amerion Wrote: Rather than striking this portion out entirely, would it be satisfactory to amend that particular sentence to 'This will not count toward the three Regional Officer positions allotted to the Council on Regional Security'?

If we go along with amending the Regional Officers act with Farengeto's proposed language, I don't see any need for this portion because, by adding "at least", there is no limit (other occupied seats notwithstanding) to how many CRS members can be appointed as Regional Officers.

(02-07-2020, 04:30 AM)Amerion Wrote: Is there a difference between will and shall? I have always used them interchangeably.

I suppose this could be a difference between American and Australian English, but when I see the use of the word "will", there's an implication that it shall be done at an unspecified time in the future. "Shall", on the other hand, is a strong assertion of what must be done. I mean, no action may actually be necessary if this is just me.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Personally, I'd be supportive if we generally use RFC 2119 for the definitions of "shall", "may", etc.

Given the debate and the understanding that our Delegate has more than enough BC slots (roughly 140) that they may easily re-appoint if necessary, I hereby object to the motion to waive debate time.

Some thoughts on suggested changes I'd also suggest (I'm at work and just checking in for a moment, can't write a draft right now):
  • Change the paradigm; rather than assigning slots to individuals directly in all cases, change it up so that institutions have slots that they may assign to nations of their choosing. That way, Cabinet could sacrifice a slot for the duration of a festival to have a non-Cabinet organizer take charge, and the CRS could appoint trusted non-CRS members to perform an expensive BC action between updates.
  • Remove the Delegate line. The Delegate has these powers anyway.
  • PM always has all non-BC powers (not a slot but a fixed appointment), while Cabinet gets at least 2 additional non-BC slots of their choosing.
  • LC gets three non-BC slots of their choosing (usually they'll appoint themselves)
  • CRS gets at least three slots with all powers
  • CRS may order the Delegate to grant or revoke BC to any other RO
  • Redundant slots filled by the same nation are counted for both allotments, except for CRS members
  • Explicitly leave everything else up to the Delegate
  • Leave in the EC
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 2 users Like Roavin's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14, Seraph