We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Discussion] Normalizing Relations with Osiris

Howdy members of the Assembly. In an effort this term to ensure the Assembly is aware of and happy with what FA is doing, I will be letting the Assembly know the details of what we are doing in terms of negotiations when they begin and what we, in the Ministry, see the long term goals as being.

At this point in time, the MoFA has begun to engage the Osiris Fraternal Order (OFO)  in discussions regarding a potential detente and normalization of relations. Our goal here is simple: we seek to promote peaceful and cooperative relations among GCRs who are willing to accept our sovereignty. At this current juncture, or at any point in this term, I would not seek to pass any kind of treaty or NAP with the OFO. Simply put, there is no reason for us to ally, or even pledge to be non-aggressive, with regions who are on the opposite end of the R/D spectrum from us.  I want to be clear about that from the onset of this discussion.

Furthermore, we are encouraged by the lifting of the proscription Osiris put on members of TSP from participation in their region. We believe that this was a signal from Osiris that they would be willing to normalize relations, and we see that as a possibility with the proscription of the Rahl family in Osiris. All this entails is a commitment to maintaining lines of communication and the establishment of onsite embassies. These measures are similar to those taken during the detente with TWP, a region similar in many regards to Osiris.

This detente would be a joint statement from the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Vizier of Foreign Affairs simply laying out our commitment to ensure open lines of communication and normalized diplomatic relations. No commitment will be made towards non-aggression or mutual defense. This will simply be a formal change in Ministerial policy.

I would welcome any and all comments or concerns about this proposal. Please let us know what we can do in order to ensure we, as a region, feel comfortable with the normalization of relations with the OFO. We also want to ask the broader question of if this is a foreign policy we are interested in pursuing. 

Thanks for y'all's time and thoughtful consideration. 

Faithfully yours,
Omega
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 5 users Like Omega's post:
  • Jay Coop, phoenixofthesun14, Rabbitz, Seraph, Somyrion

I am strongly supportive of the Ministry as they take this step. Osiris and TSP are certainly not natural allies-- we're opposed in both military ideology and government system. Nonetheless, we've found ourselves, notably, on the same side of quite a few issues recently (Commend/Condemn Cormactopia II, for instance). That might be because, despite our differences, we're both stable regions with reasonable and reasoned people. And two such reasonable regions should be able to have reasonable relations, too.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 4 users Like Somyrion's post:
  • Jay Coop, Omega, Rabbitz, Seraph

Will there be any embassy building between our regions, not on the premise of an alliance or a NAP but as a simple normalization of relations?
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes Griffindor's post:
  • Rabbitz

(04-11-2020, 07:50 PM)Griffindor Wrote: Will there be any embassy building between our regions, not on the premise of an alliance or a NAP but as a simple normalization of relations?

Yes there will be.
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omega's post:
  • Rabbitz

I personally think there are some regions that are better to leave to exist on their own, and Osiris would be one of them. Our embassies should be reserved for those we value as friends in my opinion
[-] The following 1 user Likes Daytime to Night's post:
  • Rabbitz

(04-12-2020, 03:27 AM)Daytime to Night Wrote: I personally think there are some regions that are better to leave to exist on their own, and Osiris would be one of them. Our embassies should be reserved for those we value as friends in my opinion

While I respect your opinion, I chose to take the approach that treaties should be signed among friends, and embassies simply recognize the legitimacy of one's government (when discussing GCRs). In this case, establishing embassies is simply a mutual recognition of legitimacy between our two governments and a commitment to friendly engagement between our regions. Again, I would not advocate a NAP or MDT at any time in the near future with Osiris, barring the abandonment of their raider ideology.
Has Been
What's Next?

[-] The following 3 users Like Omega's post:
  • Daytime to Night, Rabbitz, Seraph

As long as this is going to give warm fuzzies to  both regions, I trust your judgement Omega.
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Penguin's post:
  • Rabbitz

I concur with Somyrion. Simply returning to a normal relationship and establishing in-game embassies can never be a net-negative to the South Pacific. I support and respect our Minister of Foreign Affairs’ position here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robespierre's post:
  • Rabbitz

As ambassador to Osiris, I whole-heartedly agree with any effort to normalize relationships with our fellow region.
Local Councillor (3/15/20 - 6/23/20)
Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs (2/19/20 - 4/9/20)
Senior Fellow of Integration (12/20/20 - 2/19/20)
Fellow (1/12/19 - ~10/14/20) 
Ambassador to Osiris and TWP (4/3/20 - 7/8/20)
Legislator (1/19/19 - 11/1/21)
Chair of the Assembly (6/23/20 - 9/3/20)
Secretary of State (7/8/20 - 2/4/21 | 6/14/21 - 11/1/21) 
Deputy of Media (2/14/21 - 11/1/21)
Ambassador to TNP and Lazarus  (6/14/21 - 10/22/21)
MoE Leadership (10/14/20 - 11/1/21)

It's not something I feel especially strongly about, but that is my view. You are our Minister for good reason, so that is all I have to say about it!