We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Allowing Assembly Commendations

I know Amerion's proposal was a joke, but I think it'd be actually really cool if we did inter-regional Assembly Commendations. How would we go about allowing that + making it a thing within the assembly? Would we be able to just pass legislation that commends someone right off the bat, or would we have to add it to the abilities of the Assembly?
~~Rose~~
You may know me as Eggraria!
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

Office of WA Legislation Staff
Roleplayer - the State of Eggraria

Citizen of The South Pacific above all else.

[-] The following 4 users Like rosaferri's post:
  • Omega, phoenixofthesun14, TheBig0tt0, Tsunamy

So, There is nothing in our laws that says we can't do them. However, there's also nothing in the laws that outlines how we would do that sort of thing. I would love to see us do this, not going to lie, but I think we would need to decide how we would do this. Would we treat it as Assembly Resolutions (3 day discussion/3 day vote/simple majority to pass)? That would make the most sense to me, though if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it!

Another point to think about, more on the logistics side. Where would we archive past commendations? What would we do to signify that any specific Legislator has been commended? Would we keep it to just legislators or all TSPers?
Fire Fire Fire Empress of Fire  Fire Fire Fire
Current Minister of Military Affairs
Chair Perch of the Assembly (February to June 2020)
SPSF Soldier
MoRA Fellow
Ambassador to Forest and Lazarus
[-] The following 2 users Like phoenixofthesun14's post:
  • Omega, rosaferri

I think the simplest thing would be to add a section to the Law standards act outlining what resolutions of this nature should look like and amend the Legislative Procedures Act to detail where they should be stored.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 4 users Like Omega's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14, Rabbitz, rosaferri, Seraph

(04-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Omega Wrote: I think the simplest thing would be to add a section to the Law standards act outlining what resolutions of this nature should look like and amend the Legislative Procedures Act to detail where they should be stored.

That appears to be the most straightforward way of codifying the resolutions themselves. I'd assume we'd be making them very similar to the style of what the SC commendations look like?
~~Rose~~
You may know me as Eggraria!
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

Office of WA Legislation Staff
Roleplayer - the State of Eggraria

Citizen of The South Pacific above all else.

[-] The following 2 users Like rosaferri's post:
  • Omega, phoenixofthesun14

(04-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Omega Wrote: I think the simplest thing would be to add a section to the Law standards act outlining what resolutions of this nature should look like and amend the Legislative Procedures Act to detail where they should be stored.

But won't those examples eventually get amended to be stricken with red?
Local Councillor (3/15/20 - 6/23/20)
Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs (2/19/20 - 4/9/20)
Senior Fellow of Integration (12/20/20 - 2/19/20)
Fellow (1/12/19 - ~10/14/20) 
Ambassador to Osiris and TWP (4/3/20 - 7/8/20)
Legislator (1/19/19 - 11/1/21)
Chair of the Assembly (6/23/20 - 9/3/20)
Secretary of State (7/8/20 - 2/4/21 | 6/14/21 - 11/1/21) 
Deputy of Media (2/14/21 - 11/1/21)
Ambassador to TNP and Lazarus  (6/14/21 - 10/22/21)
MoE Leadership (10/14/20 - 11/1/21)

(05-01-2020, 05:55 PM)Rabbitz Wrote:

This is a valid complaint, last time we decided to have some sort of commendation system we never used it.

TSP, historically, has been very passive about oversight concerning their ministries and other parts of the region - as we've repeated very recently - and this not only applies to taking out inactivity and violations of the rules but also to praising the successes of each person and ministry.

I'd say a better way to go around this is to have some sort of way for everyone to know what's happening around the region... i.e a good, regular newspaper
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

(05-01-2020, 05:55 PM)Rabbitz Wrote:

That is a good point.

Perhaps before we legislate this, we may produce a few ones informally and see if there is an appetite for it long-term?