We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: Which proposal do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Qwert/Omega Proposal
44.74%
17 44.74%
Jay Proposal
7.89%
3 7.89%
Status Quo
34.21%
13 34.21%
Support both Qwert/Omega and Jay proposals
13.16%
5 13.16%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

RA Reboot - Preparing Things for a Decision

Introduction

Hi, all -- We've all debated ourselves to death; now it's time to take whatever came out of that debate and figure out how we're going to turn that into action, anywhere from status quo to complete reorganization. 

If you still have ideas or comments about the main substance of the various proposals (e.g. "I think we should only split X and Y"), please post those in the debate thread rather than here. This thread, rather, is for organizing the products of the mess of that debate into coherent legislation that can go to vote (and figuring out how/when it will go to vote).

Please also vote in the indicative poll above so the Assembly can get a sense of where we stand on the proposals before heading into a final vote.

Proposals

Here are the proposals so far. Let me know if I've missed anything. Are there other proposals that should be added?

Qwert/Omega Proposal
This proposal replaces the Ministry of Regional Affairs with two new Ministries -- Culture (events and roleplay) and Engagement (integration and education) -- as well as two non-policy-focused, public services called "Departments" -- Art & Design and Media. 
To-Do Items
  • Any minor amendments? (e.g. wording changes, constitutional vs. non-constitutional Department Act)
  • Do we want to continue, in this proposal, with having department heads nominated by Cabinet and confirmed by Assembly? Where do people stand on the question at this point?
  • This proposal needs some enabling legislation prepared for it. Perhaps the text from Jay's proposal could be imported?
    • Enabling legislation has been added as of Omega's most recent update (05/11/2020)

Jay Proposal
This proposal removes integration duties from the Ministry of Regional Affairs and places them under a Ministry of Integration Affairs, leaving Regional Affairs with responsibility for events, roleplay, media, and design.
To-Do Items
  • Any minor amendments? (e.g. wording changes, changes to the addendum)

Status Quo
This proposal keeps the Ministry of Regional Affairs exactly as it currently stands structurally, but would likely also see some minor internal reforms that are already planned for the Ministry.

To-Do Items
  • For those who'd like to see basically the same structure we currently have remain in place -- are there other non-split ideas you have that you'd like people to be aware of?

Other To-Do Items
  • What's the progress on a unified Discord server? Pretty much any of the proposals which create multiple RA bodies make this a necessity. Could we have an executive server or a single server in place before the next Cabinet term? 
    • @Roavin says: Making the unified Discord server could be done in that time, though maybe not necessarily through the process I'd prefer. A more pragmatic solution would be to say that the RA Discord will house the new ministries + the departments initially, if a split passes.
  • Will these proposals go to vote as competing legislation? Should the status quo somehow be an option that you can select in the vote?
  • Other things?
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!

The Qwert/Omega proposal needs a continuing resolution, though that can be copied almost verbatim from the Jay proposal.

Quote:What's the progress on a unified Discord server? Pretty much any of the proposals which create multiple RA bodies make this a necessity. Could we have an executive server or a single server in place before the next Cabinet term? 

Making the unified Discord server could be done in that time, though maybe not necessarily through the process I'd prefer. A more pragmatic solution would be to say that the RA Discord will house the new ministries + the departments initially, if a split passes.

Quote:Will these proposals go to vote as competing legislation? Should the status quo somehow be an option that you can select in the vote?

These would logically be competing bills once more. I don't see a legal mechanism by which the status quo can be an option in the vote (how we do competing bills is legislated pretty clearly), but what the Chair could do is offer guidance in the vote announcement explaining what vote a Legislator should cast in which situation (i.e. "if you want Jay, vote yes there, no on the other; if you want neither, vote no in both").
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Somyrion

I have no idea what all this is all about, but from what I'm reading, Omega's seems the most reasonable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Damination's post:
  • Somyrion

(05-11-2020, 09:22 PM)Moonstar Wrote: I have no idea what all this is all about, but from what I'm reading, Omega's seems the most reasonable.

I can't tell you how to vote, but I strongly recommend you read the points for each proposal before voting for one. There are legitimate benefits and costs to each and every proposal, and this is also the reason why the debate has dragged on for a long time now and more than once.

Please don't vote without taking a good look at the arguments behind each one.

PS: The name "Status Quo" is misleading. "Status Quo" would entail small scale reforms within the ministry which we are intending to do before the final vote passes.
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

To be fair here, I'm talking more along the lines of TSP's legislative history and culture. Even if I read every single word, debate, etc just on this one thing I would still be lacking just not knowing anything.

(05-11-2020, 09:29 PM)Moonstar Wrote: To be fair here, I'm talking more along the lines of TSP's legislative history and culture. Even if I read every single word, debate, etc just on this one thing I would still be lacking just not knowing anything.

Generally, in these cases, the best practice is to abstain (or as this is an informal poll, not vote).

I know I'm biased here in that you voted for what I think is the worst proposal, but voting carelessly for the "one that looks nicest" isn't a good idea.

This is why official votes have an abstain option: so legislators aren't forced to vote for proposals they do not know much about.

Also, status quo should link to this post, which also has proposals for the small-scale reforms I suggested.

(05-11-2020, 09:27 PM)Jebediah Wrote: PS: The name "Status Quo" is misleading. "Status Quo" would entail small scale reforms within the ministry which we are intending to do before the final vote passes.

I've added a summary explaining that.
Aumeltopia ~

The version linked here (sorry I thought we were changing threads) does include some wording changes and a continuing resolution.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(05-11-2020, 10:20 PM)Omega Wrote: The version linked here (sorry I thought we were changing threads) does include some wording changes and a continuing resolution.

Awesome, I've updated.
Aumeltopia ~