We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Nomination of Griffindor to the High Court

[Image: v1Wgfs1.png]

NOMINATION OF GRIFFINDOR TO THE HIGH COURT

MAY 26, 2020

Fellow Legislators, dear Chairwoman,

after careful deliberation, including consultation with Justices Kringalia, Belschaft and Nat, the Cabinet has decided to nominate Griffindor to serve on the High Court of the South Pacific. Griffindor has a background in the High Court, having served as a law clerk under then-Permanent Justice Kringalia. The submitted answers demonstrate the balanced mindset that is to be expected from a justice, and while they were not flawless, the required signoff mechanisms in our judicial system mean that there will be a collegial discussion about any opinions reached by the court to smooth over any such imperfections.

For your convenience, Griffindor's answers to the judicial survey as well as the Court's opinion are attached below.

Chairwoman, with the power vested in me as Prime Minister of the Coalition, I declare that the Cabinet has in good faith appointed Griffindor to serve as Associate Justices in accordance with per Article 1 Section 5 of the Judicial Act, and request that the corresponding assembly procedure is initiated.

Faithfully yours,

CABINET OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

[Image: AgbOHUt.png]

[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 3 users Like Roavin's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14, Seraph, Somyrion

Congratulations to Griffindor!

Might I ask why this nomination is considered a security matter and, therefore, located in the Private Halls?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Roavin

(05-26-2020, 05:48 AM)Amerion Wrote: Might I ask why this nomination is considered a security matter and, therefore, located in the Private Halls?

It isn't - I suppose I should have put it in the public halls. The Madam Chairphoenix can set it on fire and reconstruct it there if she pleases.
[-] The following 2 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Amerion, phoenixofthesun14

Congratulations!

I'm here cause I was pinged!
Local Councillor (3/15/20 - 6/23/20)
Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs (2/19/20 - 4/9/20)
Senior Fellow of Integration (12/20/20 - 2/19/20)
Fellow (1/12/19 - ~10/14/20) 
Ambassador to Osiris and TWP (4/3/20 - 7/8/20)
Legislator (1/19/19 - 11/1/21)
Chair of the Assembly (6/23/20 - 9/3/20)
Secretary of State (7/8/20 - 2/4/21 | 6/14/21 - 11/1/21) 
Deputy of Media (2/14/21 - 11/1/21)
Ambassador to TNP and Lazarus  (6/14/21 - 10/22/21)
MoE Leadership (10/14/20 - 11/1/21)

Has the cabinet taken into consideration Griffindor's, at times, shady past within the South Pacific and other regions?
Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.

Hello!

If this matter isn't considered a security matter, I will go ahead and move this thread to the public halls.  According to the Legislative Procedure Act, there will need to be 3 days of discussion before being moved to a vote (aside from being waived), 3 days for voting, and requires a simple 50% majority to pass.

If anyone objects to me moving this thread to the public halls, please let me know within the next few hours.
Fire Fire Fire Empress of Fire  Fire Fire Fire
Current Minister of Military Affairs
Chair Perch of the Assembly (February to June 2020)
SPSF Soldier
MoRA Fellow
Ambassador to Forest and Lazarus

I am humbled by the vote of confidence and nomination from the cabinet. I will also answer any and all questions presented.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

(05-26-2020, 05:03 PM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: Has the cabinet taken into consideration Griffindor's, at times, shady past within the South Pacific and other regions?

Yes. In fact, we even asked the Court explicitly if they had considered it in the opinion they provided to us. That being said, I'd like to note for the record that your phrasing suggests much more shady activity than there really was.

The "shady past", as you called it, comprises two incidents. The first was Griffindor's removal of Legislator Status in early 2018 for, essentially, using two accounts to vote. At the time of the removal, it was left open by the investigating entities whether formal charges would be pressed against Griffindor for the incident. That was not done, however, in part due to specific extenuating circumstances that I cannot elaborate upon. Nonetheless, Griffindor went on a sort of "self-imposed exile", moving to Balder for some time. The second incident is what led to his removal from Balder after a guilty conviction of treason earlier this year. Many of you will likely have heard about this from an article in NationStates Today, but the article missed a few key facts. For example, the article did not mention that three other high level government officials, including the then-incumbent Staatsminister (their equivalent to our Prime Minister position), were just as involved as Griffindor was in "Operation Heimdall", but were granted full immunity for their testimony against specifically Griffindor. Griffindor testified, and maintains plausibly to this day, that Operation Heimdall did not seek to overthrow the Balder government, but rather to introduce additional democratic elements to the monarchy.

To even get to this point, those two incidents had been evaluated and cleared by four distinct entities. First, as part of his Legislator application, both the Legislator Committee and the Council on Regional Security had full knowledge of these incidents and cleared Griffindor for not applying in bad faith and not being a security threat, respectively (as specified in the Legislator Committee Act). Then, as part of the judicial application, both Cabinet and Court also considered this issue with full knowledge of these incidents and did not see these as an impediment to performing well in the judiciary.

I'd be happy to elaborate on any of this or answer specific questions, though note that there will be some things I can't talk about for reasons of confidentiality and/or privacy.
[-] The following 3 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Omega, Seraph, Tsunamy

(05-26-2020, 08:39 PM)Roavin Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 05:03 PM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: Has the cabinet taken into consideration Griffindor's, at times, shady past within the South Pacific and other regions?

Yes. In fact, we even asked the Court explicitly if they had considered it in the opinion they provided to us. That being said, I'd like to note for the record that your phrasing suggests much more shady activity than there really was.

The "shady past", as you called it, comprises two incidents. The first was Griffindor's removal of Legislator Status in early 2018 for, essentially, using two accounts to vote. At the time of the removal, it was left open by the investigating entities whether formal charges would be pressed against Griffindor for the incident. That was not done, however, in part due to specific extenuating circumstances that I cannot elaborate upon. Nonetheless, Griffindor went on a sort of "self-imposed exile", moving to Balder for some time. The second incident is what led to his removal from Balder after a guilty conviction of treason earlier this year. Many of you will likely have heard about this from an article in NationStates Today, but the article missed a few key facts. For example, the article did not mention that three other high level government officials, including the then-incumbent Staatsminister (their equivalent to our Prime Minister position), were just as involved as Griffindor was in "Operation Heimdall", but were granted full immunity for their testimony against specifically Griffindor. Griffindor testified, and maintains plausibly to this day, that Operation Heimdall did not seek to overthrow the Balder government, but rather to introduce additional democratic elements to the monarchy.

To even get to this point, those two incidents had been evaluated and cleared by four distinct entities. First, as part of his Legislator application, both the Legislator Committee and the Council on Regional Security had full knowledge of these incidents and cleared Griffindor for not applying in bad faith and not being a security threat, respectively (as specified in the Legislator Committee Act). Then, as part of the judicial application, both Cabinet and Court also considered this issue with full knowledge of these incidents and did not see these as an impediment to performing well in the judiciary.

I'd be happy to elaborate on any of this or answer specific questions, though note that there will be some things I can't talk about for reasons of confidentiality and/or privacy. 

I know that you said you wouldn't elaborate upon it, but, If I may ask, are there any of the 'extenuating circumstances' you alluded to that you can share with us?
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

(05-27-2020, 10:06 AM)North Prarie Wrote: I know that you said you wouldn't elaborate upon it, but, If I may ask, are there any of the 'extenuating circumstances' you alluded to that you can share with us?

I cannot share any details on the circumstances without violating the privacy of multiple individuals. What I can add, however, is that the circumstances I've alluded to are such that a repeat offense is incredibly unlikely, in the estimation of those that are familiar with the details.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Tsunamy