We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

An Address from the Minister-Elect of Foreign Affairs

COMMUNIQUÉ

[Image: 8zU6AFz.png]

ADDRESS TO THE ASSEMBLY

17 JUNE 2020

Esteemed Chair and members of the Assembly,

Earlier this week, you voted to elect me as the Minister of Foreign Affairs on the promise of delivering a defender's voting bloc in the World Assembly Security Council. As such, I fully intend to keep this promise, and we are about to enter a new term with a new Cabinet.

We have had a considerable amount of discussion on the matter of building the aforementioned voting bloc, and this discussion has evolved well beyond a simple voting bloc in the Security Council, and so have my views. So, with your consent, this is the agenda I wish to pursue upon entering into office:

I will approach 10000 Islands and the Rejected Realms on the offer of a comprehensive multilateral treaty and ask on the inclusion of the Union of Democratic States. The reason for the latter is because, while the UDS has a treaty with the South Pacific, they do not have one with 10000 Islands and the Rejected Realms.

However, because all four regions share embassies, I have confidence that 10000 Islands and the Rejected Realms will allow the UDS to be part of these talks. If the UDS is not part of these talks, it will continue because bilateral treaties already exist between the South Pacific, 10000 Islands, and the Rejected Realms.

Now, the comprehensive multilateral treaty I wish to negotiate with these regions shall feature provisions for mutual defense, military cooperation, a Security Council voting bloc, an interregional training program to develop the militaries of emerging regions, and cultural exchange.

I firmly believe that the South Pacific, 10000 Islands, the Rejected Realms, and the Union of Democratic States are more than ready to negotiate and eventually ratify such a treaty of its kind. We are all committed to the defender cause and prepared to secure our interests in the Security Council.

Furthermore, I intend to ascertain 10000 Islands' interest in acceding to the January Accords between the South Pacific, the East Pacific, and the Rejected Realms. The reason behind this is because of the recent treaty ratified between 10000 Islands and the East Pacific, and bilateral treaties now exist amongst all four regions.

If 10000 Islands accedes to the January Accords, such an accession will improve multiregional security and the relationship between all regions. I believe that 10000 Islands joining the Accords would allow for greater military cooperation between all parties, bringing more advantages to the January Accords than disadvantages.

Third, I intend to offer the Order of the Grey Wardens an in-game embassy with the South Pacific, believing that they have earned this privilege due to their commitment to defender values and longtime military cooperation with the South Pacific Special Forces. I shall extend this offer and bring it to a gameside vote between World Assembly natives if accepted.

My fellow legislators, we have the opportunity to undertake an ambitious project and build a formidable alliance, and I intend to deliver on this promise, cognizant that the esteemed members of the Assembly elected me on a campaign platform that promised as much.

Now, I welcome any comments, suggestions, and concerns on these issues.

Faithfully yours,

Minister-Elect of Foreign Affairs,
Jay

[Image: wGnDN2V.png]

4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 7 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Amerion, North Prarie, Omega, phoenixofthesun14, Seraph, Somyrion, USoVietnam

So ... perhaps I'm misreading this, but our entire foreign policy will essentially run through the 10,000 Islands?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(06-16-2020, 10:23 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: So ... perhaps I'm misreading this, but our entire foreign policy will essentially run through the 10,000 Islands?

No, the fact that 10000 Islands is part of two of the three items mentioned in the agenda is a coincidence. The encompassing element of this agenda is building on our relationship with other defender regions, thus strengthening our security and increasing our voting power in the Security Council.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Amerion

(06-16-2020, 10:37 PM)Jay Coop Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 10:23 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: So ... perhaps I'm misreading this, but our entire foreign policy will essentially run through the 10,000 Islands?

No, the fact that 10000 Islands is part of two of the three items mentioned in the agenda is a coincidence. The encompassing element of this agenda is building on our relationship with other defender regions, thus strengthening our security and increasing our voting power in the Security Council. 

I mean, I was being a bit flip, but including another region within not one but two sets of proposed alliances seems to give them unusual sway over our foreign policy. The same might be said for TRR, which is also involved in both alliances.

Not to mention, I'm unsure of what the benefit there is to TSP to approach 10KI and TRR about a multilateral treaty ... with a region we're already allied with? How does that make us safer? And, honestly, the same goes for inviting 10KI into the January Accords. What do we get out of any of this? We have these alliances already; why are we spending our foreign policy capital to connect other regions to each other

If you want to build a WA voting bloc, well, build a WA voting block. That doesn't require intertwining all our alliances.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Jebediah

I agree with Tsu, though perhaps for a different reason. If the goal is to codify a defender voting bloc in the Security Council, requiring that regions join a collective security treaty to do that could be a big hurdle.

If this is regarding the defender alliance that many of us have talked about, I think for that we need to step back from the traditional way we do treaties. An alliance of that level needs something different than your basic mutual defense treaty, because it will involve a much deeper level of coordination.
[-] The following 2 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Jebediah, North Prarie

Glen makes a good point. It looks like you're at least partially basing your idea for that "defender alliance" off my post in the Commonwealth Act. I'm glad that seems to be going somewhere, but like Glen I think it's a much deeper project than just "a standard comprehensive multilateral treaty with a few perks". That alliance would be of a much different ilk than, say, the January Accords. I think it'd have to be planned more as an interregional entity with a permanent structure than as merely a document with provisions.

In other words: the goal shouldn't be to get a multilateral treaty signed within your term. It should be to get a dialogue and maybe even a Discord server going that will eventually require a treaty to serve as its constitution.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 4 users Like Somyrion's post:
  • Jebediah, North Prarie, Omega, Seraph