We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Repeal Article 6.2 of the Election Act

I propose we repeal article 6.2 of the Election Act

In 2017 the Assembly repealed Article 5 regulating of Local Council Elections, however it missed this point in the following section of the Act.

Due to this oversight the High Court has struck down the portion of the Local Council passed game side election act dealing with vacancies in office.  Repealing this section will allow the Local Council to again address the issue of LC vacancies in its own regulations.

Quote:6. Vacancies of Office

(1) A special election will be held for vacancies arising within the Cabinet, if more than half of the term remains. If less than half of the term remains, or the position is vacant due to nobody running in its election, the Cabinet may appoint a replacement until the next regularly scheduled election.

(2) A special election will be held for vacancies arising within the Local Council, if more than half of the term remains. If less than half of the term remains, or the position is vacant due to nobody running in its election, the Delegate may appoint a replacement until the next regularly scheduled election.

(3) (2) Should the office of Delegate become vacant, the next person in the line of succession will become interim Delegate until the next regularly scheduled election. If no person qualifies for the office, then a special election will be held.

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

I support this amendment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bleakfoot's post:
  • Volaworand

(07-21-2020, 05:19 AM)Bleakfoot Wrote: I support this amendment.

Your excellent brief to the High Court (https://tspforums.xyz/thread-8404-post-2...#pid203203) pointed out the oversight this repeal seeks to correct.

Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

I support it as it is a good amendment for a new structured Local Council
[-] The following 1 user Likes Whole India's post:
  • Volaworand

I motion to vote.

Second
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 1 user Likes USoVietnam's post:
  • Volaworand

I presume this bill will need to be debated and voted upon gameside if it makes it through in the Assembly.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Volaworand

(07-27-2020, 04:51 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I presume this bill will need to be debated and voted upon gameside if it makes it through in the Assembly.

That's determined by the Chair of the Assembly though if our CoA does end up determining that it does need gameside signoff, I doubt there would be much opposition, since this is a pretty minor cleanup.  And it's not like there's any massive urgency to rush anything along, since nominations just opened for LC, so it's doubtful there would be any vacancy issues immediately following the elections.