We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Charter Article 1 - who gets to vote on laws gameside

Quote:I. CONSTITUTIONAL LAWS

Defining the supreme laws of our community.

(1) Laws that form the foundation of our community, are considered fundamental to governance, or otherwise are considered of great importance by the Assembly, are to be known as “constitutional laws” and marked as such.

(2) Constitutional laws hold precedence and supremacy over all other laws, regulations, and policies of all branches of government.

(3) This Charter is a constitutional law holding supremacy over all others, and defines the purpose of our government and its framework.

(4) Any constitutional law that directly affects the gameside community or its home governance, as determined by the Chair of the Assembly, must also be debated and voted upon by the gameside community through a poll of Native World Assembly members.

The original doesn't say that it should be Native WAs voting only, but that's what's been done in all previous votes. Turns out that was probably illegal. Let's make it not illegal.

Putting this separate to all the other amendments because it's about something not entirely related, but should probably be fixed before we start voting on the other amendments, cause else we'll need to open all those votes to the whole world when we put them to gameside... or they'll all have to wait on a solution for how we legitimately run a vote.
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Auphelia, Belschaft, Somyrion, Tsunamy

It's 100% not illegal as a necessary technical limitation for free, fair and democratic votes - but Kris & Nat have decided to be silly and refused to issue a more limited ruling despite being warned of this potential issue.

I motion to wave debate and move to a vote.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Auphelia, Divine Owl

Seconded
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(08-15-2020, 04:01 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Kris & Nat have decided to be silly and refused to issue a more limited ruling despite being warned of this potential issue.

Like I have said repeated times, the High Court does not shy away from issuing appropriate rulings simply because they might be seen as inconvenient.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 3 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Jay Coop, Jebediah, Seraph

(08-15-2020, 04:29 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 04:01 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Kris & Nat have decided to be silly and refused to issue a more limited ruling despite being warned of this potential issue.

Like I have said repeated times, the High Court does not shy away from issuing appropriate rulings simply because they might be seen as inconvenient.

But maybe the High Court should consider whether it’s rulings have any unintended consequences that could be avoided by using more careful language or by not issuing unnecessarily broad rulings.....
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

The ruling has no unintended consequences.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

It's not procedurally necessary, but I third the motion to waive the regular debate time.

Unfortunately, in accordance with Article 2 Section 2 of the Legislative Procedure Act, I need to see a reason for why I should waive the mandatory debate time. Now, I know the reason is probably very evident and I'm just not seeing it, but I need to see one. 

I'll waive the debate upon receiving one.
Local Councillor (3/15/20 - 6/23/20)
Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs (2/19/20 - 4/9/20)
Senior Fellow of Integration (12/20/20 - 2/19/20)
Fellow (1/12/19 - ~10/14/20) 
Ambassador to Osiris and TWP (4/3/20 - 7/8/20)
Legislator (1/19/19 - 11/1/21)
Chair of the Assembly (6/23/20 - 9/3/20)
Secretary of State (7/8/20 - 2/4/21 | 6/14/21 - 11/1/21) 
Deputy of Media (2/14/21 - 11/1/21)
Ambassador to TNP and Lazarus  (6/14/21 - 10/22/21)
MoE Leadership (10/14/20 - 11/1/21)

Waive because otherwise the way we've been doing Assembly -> gameside votes forever doesn't work and it would be nice to have it work ASAP. (Aka, the reasoning already provided as to why it's important to have this law, or similar, passed ASAP). There has been no debate or objections.

The reason has been deemed acceptable, and the debate time has been waived.
Local Councillor (3/15/20 - 6/23/20)
Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs (2/19/20 - 4/9/20)
Senior Fellow of Integration (12/20/20 - 2/19/20)
Fellow (1/12/19 - ~10/14/20) 
Ambassador to Osiris and TWP (4/3/20 - 7/8/20)
Legislator (1/19/19 - 11/1/21)
Chair of the Assembly (6/23/20 - 9/3/20)
Secretary of State (7/8/20 - 2/4/21 | 6/14/21 - 11/1/21) 
Deputy of Media (2/14/21 - 11/1/21)
Ambassador to TNP and Lazarus  (6/14/21 - 10/22/21)
MoE Leadership (10/14/20 - 11/1/21)