We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] Citizenship and Residency Amendment

I've brought forth an amendment to clarify who is a resident and who is a citizen in TSP given the recent ruling by the High Court. I don't believe the current wording in the Charter and our laws are sufficient in defining who is a member. Instead, we've had to rely on the High Court to define this term.
Amendment to the Charter Wrote:
THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

III. RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

Establishing citizenship and residency in the South Pacific.

(1) Residents of the South Pacific shall be those individuals with a nation that resides within the region in good faith.

(2) Citizens of the South Pacific shall be those individuals who maintain native World Assembly membership in the region, as defined by NationStates, in good faith or who are registered as a Legislator of the Assembly.

Recognizing the democratic rights and freedoms of all citizens and residents members of the Coalition.

(3 1) All residents members of the South Pacific will enjoy the freedoms of expression, speech, assembly, and the press, limited only by reasonable moderation policies.

(4 2) The right to a fair trial and defense against criminal accusations will not be abridged. No resident member may be subject to any bill of attainder, be tried for the same crime more than once, or be tried ex post facto.

(5 3) No resident member, who had joined the region in good faith, may be banned or ejected from the in-game region without the due process of law.

(6 4) No citizen member may be denied the right to vote or hold office, unless otherwise stated in the Charter or prohibited by constitutional law.

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

Elections

(5) Executive elections will be held every four months, where the Prime Minister and all Cabinet positions will be up for election amongst the members of the Assembly.

VII. THE DELEGATE

(1) The Delegate will be the head of state of the Coalition. They will be responsible for helping maintain the security of the region, promoting growth and activity, and serving as an advisor to the forum-side government. Barring reasonable circumstances, the Delegate will hold the in-game Delegate seat. No citizen person may be Delegate if they have participated, in whole or in part and at any time, in any coup d'etat of the Coalition or any of its allies, excluding normal raiding, defending, or liberation efforts as part of an organized military.

(3) The Delegate must fulfill in-game actions required by law but assigned to others if those actions can only be taken by the citizen person holding the in-game Delegate seat.

IX. THE COUNCIL ON REGIONAL SECURITY

(1) The Council on Regional Security will be composed of experienced and trustworthy citizens members of the Coalition, and will be responsible for monitoring and responding to regional security issues. The Council will choose a Chair as needed, who will fulfill all secretarial requirements of the Council that may arise.

(3) Eligible citizens members may become members of the Council on Regional Security via two methods, either application to the Council itself, or nomination by the Delegate and Prime Minister.

(5) The Delegate and Prime Minister may jointly nominate any citizen person meeting the requirements for membership and who are well suited to protect regional security. Prior to the nomination, the Delegate and Prime Minister will consult with the Council for their advice. To ensure collegiality and prevent dysfunction, if two-thirds of the members of the Council object to the prospective nominee’s membership, the nomination will not move forward. If no such objection exists, then the nomination will be submitted to the Assembly for approval via simple majority vote.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 3 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Belschaft, Poppy, Seraph

Do you have any idea how much work I'm gonna have to do if I put this to vote?!

Ugh...

You're mean...
Local Councillor (3/15/20 - 6/23/20)
Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs (2/19/20 - 4/9/20)
Senior Fellow of Integration (12/20/20 - 2/19/20)
Fellow (1/12/19 - ~10/14/20) 
Ambassador to Osiris and TWP (4/3/20 - 7/8/20)
Legislator (1/19/19 - 11/1/21)
Chair of the Assembly (6/23/20 - 9/3/20)
Secretary of State (7/8/20 - 2/4/21 | 6/14/21 - 11/1/21) 
Deputy of Media (2/14/21 - 11/1/21)
Ambassador to TNP and Lazarus  (6/14/21 - 10/22/21)
MoE Leadership (10/14/20 - 11/1/21)
[-] The following 2 users Like Rabbitz's post:
  • Jay Coop, Poppy

I support it, It required as far as I feel.

Wait I can't feel anything Huh  my senses are down today Omg
Smile Best senseless joke 2020Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Whole India's post:
  • Poppy

But what's going to happen to the citizen mask on Discord???

In actuality, I do think this is an interesting change that could solve our issue. My only concern as of right now is, how would the EC confirm that a non-WA native nation does indeed have an account on the forums?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Poppy

(08-18-2020, 06:18 PM)Rabbitz Wrote: Do you have any idea how much work I'm gonna have to do if I put this to vote?!

Ugh...

You're mean...

Fear not as the almighty Thanos once said that "it's a small price to pay for salvation".

(08-18-2020, 11:14 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote: But what's going to happen to the citizen mask on Discord???

In actuality, I do think this is an interesting change that could solve our issue. My only concern as of right now is, how would the EC confirm that a non-WA native nation does indeed have an account on the forums?

We can have a res and cit mask, of course! Tounge

As for the second question, the people in question would need to provide their nation in TSP and why it isn't in the WA, like the SPSF, for example.

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Poppy

I like this solution. It feels snazzy and clever, rather than just "let's tack on another exception".

One issue: if residents are defined as nations, then the wording of the citizen definition should be edited to clarify that having two of your puppet nations with separate forum accounts doesn't count as two citizenships. Tounge
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 2 users Like Somyrion's post:
  • Jay Coop, Poppy

(08-19-2020, 01:15 AM)Somyrion Wrote: I like this solution. It feels snazzy and clever, rather than just "let's tack on another exception".

One issue: if residents are defined as nations, then the wording of the citizen definition should be edited to clarify that having two of your puppet nations with separate forum accounts doesn't count as two citizenships. Tounge

I hope the changes I made are sufficient.

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Poppy

Yes! 

This is the one solution I can comment on as being satisfactory, without any problems or moral dilemas or so on. It just works.

At least the general concept, so far... [insert jinx here]
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jebediah's post:
  • Poppy

I think this is a great solution.

One minor thing though:
Quote:(6) No citizen member may be denied the right to vote or hold office, unless prohibited by constitutional law.

We might want to tidy up the Voting Act to make it airtight in accordance with this. Otherwise, we're could end up with all WAs being given the right to vote in Cabinet elections.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Poppy

I have a very visceral reaction to the word "citizen" and flashbacks to the 2014 era of TSP. 

That being said, please don't use the phrase "native World Assembly member." The game definition of "native" versus the normative definition isn't the same. In this case, I would use the direct game definition-- "World Assembly members who have more influence in The South Pacific than any other region."
[-] The following 2 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Poppy, USoVietnam