We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Merging the Cultural and Holidays Acts (and adding Defender Day)

Alrighty, in this legislative proposal, I hope to repeal the Holidays Act and amend the Cultural Act to incorporate the contents of the Holidays Act with one notable addition in a separate amendment: Defender Day on 17 July, the day the Assembly passed the defender resolution, making the South Pacific a defender region.

Process:
1. Vote on merging the Cultural and Holidays Acts
2. Vote on adding Defender Day to the then-amended Cultural Act
Amendment to the Cultural Act Wrote:
Cultural Act
An act outlining the customs of the South Pacific

3. Holidays

(1) The following days will be official holidays of the Coalition
a. 1 January shall be Delegates Day, celebrating those who have served as Delegate of the Coalition,
b. 18 March shall be Max Barry Day, celebrating the creator and founder of NationStates,
c. 2 June shall be Coalition Day, celebrating the creation of the Charter, Government, and the Coalition,
d. 20 July shall be Independence Day, celebrating our freedom and independence, marking the end of UCR control over the South Pacific,
e. 13 November shall be Creation Day, celebrating the creation of NationStates, and
f. 31 December shall be Foundation Day, celebrating the creation of the South Pacific.

(2) Further holidays may be added by the Delegate, the Cabinet, or the Assembly.

Addendum 1
Repeal of the Holidays Act Wrote:
Holidays Act
An act recognizing historical events worthy of celebration

1. Public Holidays

(1) The following days will be official holidays of the Coalition--

a. December 31st shall be declared Foundation Day, celebrating the creation of the South Pacific.
b. January 1st shall be declared Delegates Day, celebrating those who have served as Delegate of the Coalition.
c. March 18th shall be declared Max Barry Day, celebrating the creator and founder of NationStates.
d. June 2nd shall be declared Coalition Day, celebrating the creation of the Charter, Government, and the Coalition.
e. July 20th shall be declared Independence Day, celebrating our freedom and independence, marking the end of UCR control over the South Pacific.
f. November 13th shall be declared Creation Day, celebrating the creation of NationStates.

(2) Further holidays may be added by the Delegate, the Cabinet, or the Assembly.

Amendment (Step two)
Amendment to the Cultural Act Wrote:
Cultural Act
An act outlining the customs of the South Pacific

3. Holidays

(1) The following days will be official holidays of the Coalition

d. 17 July shall be Defender Day, celebrating the day the South Pacific officially became a defender region,
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 3 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Poppy, Purple Hyacinth, Swifty

Yes, full support. TSP DEFENDER POG
swifty
Nation: Imperial Dodo
Discord Tag: swiftygamer#1448

[Image: K732CSn.png][Image: IL1nUV5.png][Image: iEwICrf.png][Image: 5bDBXB8.png]
[Image: q6bfWoR.png] [Image: vJjA98X.png]
Other Achievements/Roles:
- Minister of Culture (October 2020 - February 2021)
- SPSF Tidal Force Coordinator (April 2021 - Present)
- Deputy Chair of the Assembly (September 2020 - October 2020)
- MoM Member (October 2020 - Present)
- MoE Member (October 2020 - Present)
- Cabinet Advisor (August 2020 - October 2020)
- A TSP Legislator (July 2020 - Present)
- SPSF Soldier (June 2020 - Present)
- Ambassador to South Pacific (August 2020 - October 2020)
- Ambassador to The League (April 2021 - Present)
- Local Council Candidate (July/August 2020)
- Chair of the Assembly Candidate (September 2020)
- The MasterMind behind SPSFphoenixcoup2020
- The Loyal Servant of Goddess Phoenix
- The Most Active Member of OWL
- A very cute bear on the outside but on the inside, well, no one knows...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Swifty's post:
  • Poppy

Change the Defender Day language to "celebrating the day the South Pacific officially became a defender region."

Other than that, full support. Adds an awesome holiday that celebrates one of the biggest moments in regional history, while axing a now unnecessary Act.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 2 users Like North Prarie's post:
  • Poppy, Swifty

(09-06-2020, 12:00 AM)North Prarie Wrote: Change the Defender Day language to "celebrating the day the South Pacific officially became a defender region."

Done.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Poppy

I don't especially support the whole "Defender Day" idea -- it seems sort of superficial. But I'm open to being convinced.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 2 users Like Somyrion's post:
  • Poppy, USoVietnam

I give a 100% support to it. I had that in mind and was planning to make the merge of the laws but when appropriate time had come.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Whole India's post:
  • Poppy

With Independence Day on the 20th July, I think it might be a bit busy. That being said, of people organised a week-long holiday celebrating both it could work.

Also the second Defender in that amendment should also be capitalised, I think, as you're primarily taking about being Defenders as ideological adherents rather than defenders as those in the act of defending.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 2 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Poppy, Witchcraft and Sorcery

I support this amendment as it is important to commemorate the adoption of the South Pacific’s policy of defending regions so that new nations will be influenced to defend instead of raid/invade. It also reduces the number of laws in the Matt Duck Law Archive by merging two laws together thereby saving space. Also, this does not contradict my own amendment to the Cultural Act. Therefore, I support this fully.
[-] The following 2 users Like Philippinia's post:
  • North Prarie, Poppy

Well, I certainly like the idea of adding a day commemorating the transition to a defender region. And I like seraph’s idea of a week-long event celebrating both. Two monumental achievements in close proximity to one another.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Poppy

Putting the defender day on the 17th of July seems like a bit of an arbitrary date, especially since we've been a defender region long before that resolution was passed (which makes the whole concept of defender day questionable and I don't like it in the first place) but if you really wanted it I guess it would be better to have it a month earlier on the 13th of June when it was proposed.

As for moving it to the cultural act, i don't think it really makes sense. The cultural act is more for placing definitions and official things to tell people how to describe our region, and it's very much a "we would like you to call it this" while the holiday act is a much more important and much more tsp focused law about the events inside the tsp.
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jebediah's post:
  • Poppy