We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Tighter restrictions on CRS membership and updating requirements

I'm introducing this amendment because I think we should set a higher bar on CRS nominations and updating requirements so as to make sure that no one enters the CRS just because they only got 50%+1 votes in the Assembly. That isn't to say that we'd ever be in such a situation because most CRS confirmation votes are near unanimous, if not unanimous, but setting a higher requirement for approval makes such situations even more unlikely.
Amendment to the Charter Wrote:
THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

IX. THE COUNCIL ON REGIONAL SECURITY

(4) If applying directly to the Council, applicants should explain why they are well suited to protect regional security. Applications will remain private. The Council will review the application and determine whether or not the applicant is well suited. If the application is approved, the Council will forward the nomination to the Assembly for approval via a three-fifths simple majority vote.

(5) The Delegate and Prime Minister may jointly nominate any person meeting the requirements for membership and who are well suited to protect regional security. Prior to the nomination, the Delegate and Prime Minister will consult with the Council for their advice. To ensure collegiality and prevent dysfunction, if two-thirds of the members of the Council object to the prospective nominee’s membership, the nomination will not move forward. If no such objection exists, then the nomination will be submitted to the Assembly for approval via a three-fifths simple majority vote.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Typhonka

I am fully on board with this. The CRS are among the most trusted leaders in the region, and we give them much power in the region as a result.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes Griffindor's post:
  • Omega

Prospective members only get to a vote in the first place after thorough vetting and much deliberation by the CRS itself. I don't think upping the vote threshold adds any value there. It just makes the process more difficult, while not actually serving a real security interest.

In any case, your first change there has nothing to do with voting on CRS membership. The influence and endorsement requirements are based on a formula and an analysis of endorsement spread in the region. There's no need for it to be subject to a supermajority requirement to change. Ironically enough, doing so would make it easier for less qualified people to meet the requirements to apply.
[-] The following 2 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Farengeto, WI SD EA D

Support

I have updated the proposal by removing the amended text that would have required the support of three-fifths of the Assembly in changing the influence and endorsement requirements.

My History

I think that a simple majority is fine because the CRS already has approved the nominee.

I motion to vote on this bill.

My History

Second
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 

This has been brought to vote here.

This has passed.