We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Cabinet Ministers vs. Cabinet ministers

I've noticed some inconsistencies in capitalization. I want to discuss whether "Cabinet Ministers" or "Cabinet ministers" is more appropriate, so I can make an informed decision when correcting capitalization. Please comment your opinion below. Here are all of the places where "cabinet minister" (in whatever capitalization) shows up (with the words underlined, so you don't have to look):
Quote:
THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

(13) The executive may exercise the collective authority of executive orders, by unanimous consent among the Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers. Executive orders may only be issued to address an immediate and pressing issue created by ambiguity or holes in a particular law, which will immediately have the effect of law. 

(15) The Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers may elect to appoint deputies and advisors, who will be considered junior members of the Cabinet, but will not have voting rights in any executive decision.

Quote:
Elections Act

1. Election Commission

(3) The Commissioner may not run for office or hold the office of Delegate, Prime Minister, or Cabinet Minister, during their tenure as Commissioner.

4. Offices of the Cabinet

(3) The terms for the incoming Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers will begin the week after elections, during which any and all election-related disputes must be settled. The outgoing Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers will maintain their offices until then.

7. Separation of Powers

(1) Offices of the Coalition are the Delegate, the Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers, the Chair of the Assembly, Local Councillors, the Chief Justice, and any of their appointed deputies.

Quote:
Judicial Act

2. Judicial Conduct and Requirements

(3) The Chief Justice must fulfill the requirements to be an Associate Justice, and additionally may not serve as senior or junior cabinet minister, as Chair of Assembly or their deputy, or as Delegate.

Quote:
Regional Officers Act

2. Regional Officers

(3) The Cabinet ministers will be allotted between one and four Regional Officer positions and granted Appearance, Communications, and Polls powers. They will decide which Cabinet ministers among them will be granted Embassies power.

Are there any non-Cabinet ministers?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(09-18-2020, 03:58 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Are there any non-Cabinet ministers?

Not that I know of.

Canadian style guidelines would to capitalize when it is used in place of a name or for a specific cabinet ministry, otherwise all generic and plural usage would be lowercase.  Though I don't think we would need ever capitalize the word cabinet, but I don't know if that's really widely followed, since I see "Cabinet" capitalzed in all sorts of daily news.

So while Minister of XYZ is capitalized, cabinet ministers would always be a generic or plural usage, and so never capitalized, because "Cabinet Minister"  is not the name of a specific ministry.  Prime Minister is a specific office and so would be capitalized, as would any appearance of the Minister of Media the Minister of Defence, etc.

Does that makes sense?

Of course TSP is free to adopt it's own style guidelines - just pick something and stick with it.  It may just be simpler to capitalize it every time and move on?

(summarized very poorly from:  https://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tcdnst...t4&info0=4)

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

[-] The following 1 user Likes Volaworand's post:
  • Swifty

(09-18-2020, 04:27 PM)Volaworand Wrote: Canadian style guidelines would to capitalize when it is used in place of a name or for a specific cabinet ministry, otherwise all generic and plural usage would be lowercase.  Though I don't think we would need ever capitalize the word cabinet, but I don't know if that's really widely followed, since I see "Cabinet" capitalzed in all sorts of daily news.

I agree fully on minister, but I think there is some argument for Cabinet within the context of TSP law. Unlike that example, the Cabinet does exist as a legal entity. It's not just a cabinet, it's the Cabinet. The law as written and standard usage also seems to lean that way.

For example, see its usage in the executive section of the Charter:
Quote:VI. THE EXECUTIVE

Establishing an executive branch consisting of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet.

(1) The Prime Minister will be the head of government and the leader of the Cabinet. They will be responsible for the overall coordination of executive activities, being a liaison between the government and the community, and protecting the Coalition.

(2) The Cabinet will consist of ministers with the following portfolios: Foreign Affairs, Culture, Engagement, Media, and Defense.

(3) As leader of the Cabinet, the Prime Minister is responsible for overseeing a collective Cabinet agenda, and may give directions and instructions to the ministers. Disputes within the Cabinet are subject to the majority decision and collective responsibility; where there is no majority the Prime Minister’s vote shall be the deciding one.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farengeto's post:
  • Rebeltopia, Swifty

I see an easy Way to solve this Problem: we should adopt a Germanic Approach and just capitalise every Noun!

Seriously, though, it warms my Heart to see us discussing this at all.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seraph's post:
  • Bleakfoot

or do away with capitals altogether

and punctuation

WE SHOULD JUST FORCE EVERYTHING TO BE WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS!!
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 3 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Jay Coop, Ryccia, Seraph

(09-20-2020, 03:15 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: WE SHOULD JUST FORCE EVERYTHING TO BE WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS!!

Finally someone starts making sense.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Ryccia

(09-20-2020, 03:31 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 03:15 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: WE SHOULD JUST FORCE EVERYTHING TO BE WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS!!

Finally someone starts making sense.

FINALLY SOMEONE STARTS MAKING SENSE
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 1 user Likes North Prarie's post:
  • Ryccia