We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Ban on Fascism in the South Pacific

I would like to propose a potentially radical and controversial policy, to formally ban all forms of fascism and other hateful ideologies from both in-game and off-site communities.

Firstly, I realize that this necessarily requires some limitations on free speech. However, as an online community, we are not required to tolerate the existence of these intolerant movements within our community, nor offer these individuals a platform. This is not a real world governments. These ideologies have not and should not be permitted within our region, in any form.

The language as currently written is a rough draft, but below is the package of proposed amendments. Some of these might be unnecessary, but I wished to thoroughly ingrain these anti-fascist policies into our laws.

The current key points are as follows:
  • Hate speech of any kind will not be protected under the Charter.
  • Nations expressing hate is forbidden.
  • Displaying symbols or icons of hate is forbidden. (This is primarily for the sake of gameside moderation. i.e. If a nation has a Nazi name and flag, it's probably safe to assume the user is a Nazi.)
  • Nations expressing hate may be banned by border control officers.
  • Ban on fascists in the military
  • Ban on fascist Legislators (and by extension, most governmental offices)
Some of this affects gameside, so I suspect we will need a gameside vote on them.

Amendment to the Charter Wrote:III. RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

Recognizing the democratic rights and freedoms of all members of the Coalition.

(1) All members of the South Pacific will enjoy the freedoms of expression, speech, assembly, and the press, limited only by reasonable moderation policies.
a. Hate or discrimation - including, but not limited to, by race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sex, gender or sexual orientation - shall not be considered protected.

(2) The right to a fair trial and defense against criminal accusations will not be abridged. No member may be subject to any bill of attainder, be tried for the same crime more than once, or be tried ex post facto.

(3) No member, who had joined the region in good faith, may be banned or ejected from the in-game region without the due process of law.

(4) No member may be denied the right to vote or hold office, unless prohibited by constitutional law.

(5) No law may be passed by the Assembly that directly affects the activities of the in-game community without the consent of the in-game community.

(6) The High Court may strike down any general law or action that violates any right or freedom found in this Charter.
Amendment to the Border Control Act Wrote:4. Rights of Border Control Officers

(1) Border control officers ordered to perform a border control action by an institution they are not a member of are granted immunity for executing that order.

(2) Border control officers may unilaterally perform a border control action to prevent probable imminent invasions of the South Pacific in the minutes leading up to the game update of the South Pacific, which they must report to the Council on Regional Security immediately.

(3) Border control officers may unilaterally perform a border control action against nations expressing or displaying support for hateful ideologies, or for displaying iconography thereof.
Amendment to the Military Code Wrote:3. Rules

(1) A member of the military must show respectful behavior towards a superior, must not bully, humiliate, or intimidate their subordinates, and must not act in an unbecoming manner toward their peers.
(2) A member of the military may not intentionally or recklessly disobey a lawful command given by a superior, or intentionally or recklessly put at risk, delay, or otherwise disrupt a lawful operation.
(3) A member of the military may only be a member of another military with assent of the General Corps, which it may rescind at any time and for any reason. If the member's other military is on the opposing side of an arbitrary R/D conflict, the member may not change sides for the duration of the operation, and shall be considered suspended from the military for the duration of the operation should they be engaged on the opposing side.
(4) A member of the military must not aid the enemy. A member who is also a member of another military and engaged alongside that military on the opposing side during an arbitrary R/D conflict shall not be considered in conflict of this rule.
(5) A member of the military may not obtain or attempt to obtain confidential information with the intent to disclose it to individuals or organizations not authorized to possess it.
(6) A member of the military may not express or display support for fascism, nor any other form of hate or hateful ideology.
(6)(7) A member of the military is required to perform at least one mission every calendar month, unless suspended or granted leave by the General Corps.
(7)(8) The General Corps may instate additional rules that do not contradict rules stated here at its discretion. These rules must be publicly visible.
Amendment to the Legislator Committee Act Wrote:2. Legislator Applications

(1) Any member of the Coalition is eligible to attain legislator status if
a. the Legislator Committee does not opine that they are seeking membership in bad faith,
b. they have a nation in the South Pacific,
c. are not attempting to join with multiple nations or identities, and
d. are not considered by the Council on Regional Security to be a significant risk to regional security.,
e. are neither a member nor a supporter of a hateful ideology.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farengeto's post:
  • Jay Coop, Somyrion

Instafor
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Can't we just put this into the community standards?
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 1 user Likes USoVietnam's post:
  • Aga

(09-19-2020, 11:24 PM)USoVietnam Wrote: Can't we just put this into the community standards?

We could, but that wouldn't allow us to ban them from the region. Just bar them from participating in offsite venues.

(09-19-2020, 11:26 PM)Farengeto Wrote:
(09-19-2020, 11:24 PM)USoVietnam Wrote: Can't we just put this into the community standards?

We could, but that wouldn't allow us to ban them from the region. Just bar them from participating in offsite venues.

The term "reasonable moderation policy" means putting it into the community standards makes it universal and applicable to gameside.
Chief Supervising Armchair

Full support.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

(09-19-2020, 11:20 PM)Farengeto Wrote: e. are neither a member nor a supporter of a hateful ideology.

I’m being annoying here, but how exactly is one a “member of a hateful ideology”?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I think this is extremely problematic, as it makes a non-gameplay issue (ie; a players political views) a gameplay matter. I think this is an area best left to the Community Standards.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Aga, Roavin, Ryccia, Typhonka, USoVietnam

Blasphemy! Jk. Looks good

I am for. We don't need to allow hateful ideologies here.
Fire Fire Fire Empress of Fire  Fire Fire Fire
Current Minister of Military Affairs
Chair Perch of the Assembly (February to June 2020)
SPSF Soldier
MoRA Fellow
Ambassador to Forest and Lazarus