We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[IC] President Berry's Executive Order Speech 22 September 2020

Ladies, gentlemen, both, neither, the young and the old,

We have been living in some very troubled times. The lockdown has seen a reduction in national activities and all that is on TV is repeated dramas. The only new broadcasts are news and political. Our country feels more like a dictatorship now than it has ever felt.

The fact is, we are not living in a dictatorship. We are living in a republic which really does not want to see GID-20 re-emerge in the country. The Government are doing great work to ensure we can reopen the country safely next Thursday. We had our State Opening of Parliament two weeks ago and I have full confidence in our Government and trust them to reopen us safely next week.

The President is the Head of State of Qaweritoyu, there is no politician who is my boss, my only boss is you, the people. I am your humble servant and I do my best work in taking care of this country and ensuring no-one in the Executive and the Government step out of line and if they do, it is my job to do something about it. The President has not always appointed Vice-Presidents but our last few Presidents have thought it extremely important that a Vice-President does get appointed to ensure that the power of the President is kept as far away from that of a dictator as possible. Who can prevent the President from stepping out of line and do something about it? Anyone? The people can in the next election but surely someone must be able to do something before then? The Vice-President has, under Christopher Elliott's very smart Executive Order, legal permission to inform a sitting President of when they step out of place and to remove them from Office if the offense is serious enough to require so. Before 2020, the President was more or less unstoppable, even by a Vice-President, we can only thank our former Presidents for keeping our rich Qaz History in mind at all times and refusing to turn our republic into a dictatorship.

Also under Christopher Elliott's Executive Order, snap Presidential Elections are removed and there are Presidential Elections once every 7 years. Any one candidate may hold Office for a maximum of two full terms at any time. Under the Executive Order, the sitting President should make it their business to appoint a Vice-President for two purposes. The first, as I outlined above, is to keep the President in line if the situation ever arises that they are out of line. The second is in case the sitting President steps out of Office before the next scheduled election, the Vice-President rises to become President and should immediately make it their business to appoint a Vice-President. This remains the case until the next election and then the people, you, choose their next President. The elected candidate takes Office and appoints a Vice-President. When the former President stepped down, I was the Vice-President, I rose to become President and appointed Manuel Ortega as our Vice-President.

Friends, it is worth remembering, even though I, or anyone who follows after me in rising to the Presidency instead of being elected, won't be forever. Hopefully it won't happen often.

In summary, it looks like Christopher Elliott introduced an Executive Order before running out of Office and letting his Vice-President deal with it. This is not the case. His Executive Order was extremely well thought out and it does not make us a dictatorship, in fact, it takes absolute power away from the President, preventing it from ever becoming an unstoppable dictator further.

Have a good evening, all.
[-] The following 2 users Like Qaweritoyu's post:
  • Klô, phoenixofthesun14