We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Farengeto for TSP MoM: More than Just News

[Image: AruVsg61FjDk0CIidps6McTcwXPLnq9y17aRO7aC...AumwpUD-_R]

Hello, my fellow South Pacificans!

This election poses a unique opportunity for us all. We have not one but three new ministries being created, and this election will be the one to truly define what these ministries will be.

Today, I'd like to tell you about my vision for the Ministry of Media, as TSP's new MoM.

Looking Beyond Journalism
While news content may be Media's headline project, I believe that thinking about it in only those terms limits the potential of what the ministry could be.

A few highlights of additional projects I would pursue as MoM:
  • Debate Commission: Electoral debates in TSP can sometimes be a messy affair. They are often organized last minute, and can be poorly structured or moderated. By creating a permanent debate commission under Media, we can standardize the debates and better organize them.
  • Bureau of Statistics: As someone who works in the industry, statistics have long been an interest of mine. As MoM, I would create a branch dedicated to providing high-quality surveys on a regular basis. These would cover a range of topics, from election polls to approval ratings to opinion polls on current issues.
  • Government Communications: As a ministry focused on all things media, it is in a prime position to take the lead on all government communications. This project would work to centralize the handling of all official communications, managing governmental releases and other communications with the region.

Independent Media
As we set out to build our Ministry of Media, everyone should be asking themselves about our region's independent media.

Where MoRA and the Southern Journal has struggled, SPINN has picked up the torch with great success. For this, they should be commended.

However, what you should ask of any candidate is how they intend to interact with SPINN. Do they wish to cooperate? Do they wish to overtake it?

I believe that it is a mistake to think of our region's journalism only in terms of trying to compete with SPINN and its existing content. To start a fight for control over the same resources and content will only harm both publications, leaving the region worse off in the long run. The MoM should encourage independent journalism, not try to destroy it.

Expanding Ministry Media
That is why as part of my TSP journalism revival, I hope to focus on offering types of content that other TSP publications currently lack, in addition to regular news.

In addition to the projects mentioned above, a few additional topics I would cover include:
  • Coverage of roleplay news
  • Interviews, both regional and foreign
  • Sharing of creative works by TSPers
  • Reviving RealTime, and its panel discussion format

Under this plan, the Southern Journal would be set up not merely as an alternative to SPINN, but as its own media with its own unique content.

I hope I've convinced you of my vision for TSP Media. Remember to vote Farengeto for TSP MoM!

CoI Disclosure
Current nations: Farengeto, Akarus
Current regions: the South Pacific, Selene
Current offices: Council for Regional Security (the South Pacific)
[-] The following 6 users Like Farengeto's post:
  • Divine Owl, North Prarie, sandaoguo, Seraph, Somyrion, USoVietnam

a CoI ahem...
swifty
Nation: Imperial Dodo
Discord Tag: swiftygamer#1448

[Image: K732CSn.png][Image: IL1nUV5.png][Image: iEwICrf.png][Image: 5bDBXB8.png]
[Image: q6bfWoR.png] [Image: vJjA98X.png]
Other Achievements/Roles:
- Minister of Culture (October 2020 - February 2021)
- SPSF Tidal Force Coordinator (April 2021 - Present)
- Deputy Chair of the Assembly (September 2020 - October 2020)
- MoM Member (October 2020 - Present)
- MoE Member (October 2020 - Present)
- Cabinet Advisor (August 2020 - October 2020)
- A TSP Legislator (July 2020 - Present)
- SPSF Soldier (June 2020 - Present)
- Ambassador to South Pacific (August 2020 - October 2020)
- Ambassador to The League (April 2021 - Present)
- Local Council Candidate (July/August 2020)
- Chair of the Assembly Candidate (September 2020)
- The MasterMind behind SPSFphoenixcoup2020
- The Loyal Servant of Goddess Phoenix
- The Most Active Member of OWL
- A very cute bear on the outside but on the inside, well, no one knows...

I don't think I'm eligible to vote in this election, but I felt like you deserved a question Tounge

As someone who came back to NS for N-Day, I apologize if this is common knowledge, but — why do you think the Southern Journal has struggled?
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]

(10-04-2020, 06:35 PM)Pronoun Wrote: I don't think I'm eligible to vote in this election, but I felt like you deserved a question Tounge

As someone who came back to NS for N-Day, I apologize if this is common knowledge, but — why do you think the Southern Journal has struggled?

There's not really an easy answer. It's not really a case where one or two things went wrong, as much as that feels like a cop-out. There were a lot of lingering issues with MoRA; some management-related, some with staffing, a few probably systemic. TSJ was just one victim of RA-wide issues. Anyone you ask is going to have their own answers on what went wrong, but I don't think trying to arguing the specifics is really fruitful at this point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farengeto's post:
  • Pronoun

Could you expand on your idea of reviving Real Time? How do you see it working? Would the format be essentially the same? Would it still switch between regional and roleplay news or would it focus only on regional? Would it be live or would you simply post transcripts?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(10-05-2020, 11:01 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Could you expand on your idea of reviving Real Time? How do you see it working? Would the format be essentially the same? Would it still switch between regional and roleplay news or would it focus only on regional? Would it be live or would you simply post transcripts?

I expect a lot of the details to be hashed out once things are more established. The core format would stay the same, but I hope to mix things up a bit.
  • Firstly, I'd like to try and include a wider array of perspectives, trying to bring in guests of various political stripes from outside the Ministry, in addition to a recurring core staff.
  • The revival will likely primarily be regional topics, but if I can get the necessary panel members I am open to doing roleplay topics as well.
  • As for broadcasting, this will require some experimentation to see what works best. My ideal format would include both a live session and a posted transcript. I would always have a published version, so that the show is accessible at any time. Live introduces some extra logistical challenges, but opens up opportunities for audience engagement.
It would also probably stay primarily text-based, though I'm not ruling out alternatives. While the voice chat formats are appealing, they introduce a number of additional technical and logistical hurdles that make it less feasible.

Thank you to Rabbitz and SPINN for tonight's debate. If your questions didn't get answered, feel free to ask them here.

What do you believe sets you apart from your opponent?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(10-08-2020, 11:41 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: What do you believe sets you apart from your opponent?

I believe the two core things set me apart
  1. My extensive experience in TSP government. Be it my years of work in MoRA, or my experiences in nearly every office we have.
  2. My vision of how to shape this new ministry. I believe that Media can be about more than just a simple government newspaper, the major ideas for doing so being outlined in my campaign.

From what I gathered during the debate, you stated that you saw "no reason MoM should be forced to only tow the government line" while your opponent seemed to suggest that the Ministry of Media should publish "what the gov't aligns to." Can you elaborate a bit more on your vision for a MoM that is less bound to government policy? Or, if you think I'm misinterpreting things, I'd be curious to hear what your take on things is.

During the debate you also stated that you "believe that any Ministry publication must have an interregional presence, for the interests of representing the regional government abroad." How do you see this co-existing with your other goal of allowing MoM to offer alternative viewpoints other than the 'government line'?
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]