We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Amendment to the Cultural Act

I would like to propose an amendment to Article 1 of the Cultural Act.

Cultural Act

1. Identity

(7) The official beverage of the region is South Pacific Iced Tea, the recipe of which shall be composed of but not exclusive to:
a. vodka,
b. rum,
c. tequila,
d. blue curaçao, and
e. lemon-lime soda.

(8) For South Pacificans who are unable to consume alcohol, an alternative recipe for South Pacific Iced Tea that excludes the alcoholic ingredients listed above shall be used.

(8)(9) The official headwear of the region is the lampshade.

I think it is very important for our region to be as inclusive as possible. We should not limit SPIT only to those who are of sufficient age, and who are willing to, drink alcohol. All South Pacificans should be able to enjoy SPIT!
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]

So...only lemon-lime soda?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(10-17-2020, 07:35 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: So...only lemon-lime soda?

You can google substitutions for the alcoholic things.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

I will say though that if there's a willingness to edit the recipe, I was wondering why there wasn't actually any tea in the recipe...
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]

South Pacific Iced Tea is a version of Long Island Iced Tea, which contrary to its name doesn't actually contain tea.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Rebeltopia, Tsunamy

I would appreciate it if you could add the name of the act at the top of your proposal and the name of the article these sections fall under, like this:
Cultural Act

1. Identity

[insert text here]
Alternatively, you can include the subtitle as well.

I think this is a nice idea. May I suggest that the proposal be changed to "who are unable or choose not to consume alcohol"?

Another option would be to rewrite Section 7 to read:
Quote:(7) The official beverage of the region is South Pacific Iced Tea, the recipe of which shall be composed of but not exclusive to vodka, rum, tequila, blue curaçao, and lemon-lime soda.
a. Substitution of any ingredient with a non-alcohol equivalent is permitted.

Anyway, those are my suggestions; feel free to take them or leave them.
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nat's post:
  • Pronoun

(10-17-2020, 07:44 PM)North Prarie Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 07:35 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: So...only lemon-lime soda?

You can google substitutions for the alcoholic things.

Upon further reflection I do think having the language in terms of substitution rather than omission as Nat suggested could be clearer; I quite like the language Nat suggested actually, if something like this would be better supported?

Cultural Act

1. Identity

(7) The official beverage of the region is South Pacific Iced Tea, the recipe of which shall be composed of but not exclusive to: rum, tequila, blue curaçao, and lemon-lime soda.
a. vodka,
b. rum,
c. tequila,
d. blue curaçao, and
e. lemon-lime soda.

a. For South Pacificans who are unable or unwilling to consume alcohol, substitution of any alcoholic ingredient with a non-alcohol equivalent is permitted.

You forgot to put vodka on the list but, apart from that, I think it looks very good  Smile
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)

So, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you're not going to find a "substitute" for vodka ... rum ... tequila ... etc. A substitute would be sour mix, water with blue food coloring.

Not to mention making the regional drink an ... anything goes ... which is what this proposal is doing is just silly.

Just say we have a regional drink we call a SPIT but in the spirit of inclusivity we have no recipe for it because that's literally what the above is doing.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]