We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DONE] Discretionary edits: formatting

I have some discretionary edits to make. Since there are a lot of edits in this thread, I've put the text of the laws in spoilers to reduce how much you have to scroll. Anyway, here are the edits:

1) As brought up by Amerion, the following sub-headers should be italicized in the Charter:

2) A bunch of the clauses in the Military Code are missing a space between them.

3) The Political Parties Act and the Sunshine Act both have dark grey text colors for some reason, so I wanted to get red of that.

4) The Proscription Act's title is a in the "large" size instead of the default size, so I wanted to correct that.

5) The last clause of the Treaties Act is missing "(1)".

6) The subtitles in the Legislative Procedure Act, Proscription Act, and Law Standards Act say "An Act", which I figured I should change to match the rest of the laws (which say "An act"). Also, the Law Standards Act says "Coalition of The South Pacific", but the "the" should be all lowercase. Additionally, the Political Parties Act and Proscription Act have periods at the end of their subtitles, and considering that 1) the subtitles aren't full sentences and 2) none of the other subtitles have a period at the end of them, I am choosing to remove the periods from those two acts' subtitles.

7) The spacing between titles and subtitles was inconsistent across the laws, with some laws having zero spaces, some laws having one space, and some having two. I've chosen one space between the title and the subtitle, because every other space in the law is also one space, so I feel that it is the most consistent.

8) Final edit! This one is again about spacing, but this time it's about the spacing between the table of contents and the first article of laws. I, again, went with one space, just to keep things consistent.

A note about the edits 7 and 8: I based my reasoning off of this discussion. By the way, apologies for forgetting to include a couple of the laws in the original discussion, as well as not mentioning the spacing between the subtitle and the table of contents in the original discussion (for the latter, I have exercised discretion in having one space, again for consistency).

One final thing: above, I separated the edits I was making by the type of edit. Below, I've included the edit by law--so you can see all of the edits I plan to make to each law.

(This is partially for my own sanity, too, since I don't have to do this later haha)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Seraph

Shouldn't "Act" have a capital?
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

(10-18-2020, 07:11 AM)Jebediah Wrote: Shouldn't "Act" have a capital?

The majority of acts have it as lowercase, so that's what I went with. Can you explain why "Act" should be capitalized?

I believe the standard use of the term Act is capitalised when it is used in reference to law. An example would be the best piece of legislation which has ever existed, the Meteorites Act 1973 (source):

Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)

(10-19-2020, 08:04 PM)Nat Wrote: I believe the standard use of the term Act is capitalised when it is used in reference to law. An example would be the best piece of legislation which has ever existed, the Meteorites Act 1973 (source):
I see. In that case I'll remove that change (once I get to a computer) and later introduce a change to make "Act" in all of the laws capitalized.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Nat

If I had it my way, I'd rather have it lowercase.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Seraph

I found something of the most grotesque order in Article 4, Section 3 of the Regional Officers Act! The "t" in the South Pacific is capitalized! The horror! Honorable Chair, we must correct this blasphemy!

(3) Exercise of Regional Officer powers must follow all applicable laws and rules. Behavior unbecoming of a representative of The South Pacific may result in suspension of Regional Officer power, even for ministers, as determined by a majority of the Cabinet.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 7 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • anjo, Damination, Griffindor, Jebediah, Purple Hyacinth, Rebeltopia, Seraph

(11-16-2020, 12:55 AM)Jay Coop Wrote: I found something of the most grotesque order in Article 4, Section 3 of the Regional Officers Act! The "t" in the South Pacific is capitalized! The horror! Honorable Chair, we must correct this blasphemy!

(3) Exercise of Regional Officer powers must follow all applicable laws and rules. Behavior unbecoming of a representative of The South Pacific may result in suspension of Regional Officer power, even for ministers, as determined by a majority of the Cabinet.

How horrible! Whoever accidentally wrote in that we're somehow related to this llama sporting, SPIT drinking, pie loving region should be punished accordingly!

[insert fake facial hair being ripped off face]
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]