We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DRAFT] Closing votes

I'm proposing the creation of a mechanism that allows the Chair to end voting earlier if all legislators have voted. Granted, there aren't many instances of everyone having voted because there's almost always a few inactive legislators, but I think this mechanism gives the Chair some flexibility in closing votes earlier if we ever find ourselves in these circumstances. After all, the reason why we stipulate having three or five days of voting is to allow all legislators enough time to vote, so it makes sense to close voting once everyone has cast a vote.

Legislative Procedure Act
An Act to define the procedural rules of the Assembly

2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair

(8) The Chair may close voting on general and constitutional laws, amendments, resolutions, and appointments if all legislators have voted.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • Damination, WI SD EA D

I don't think this is necessary because (correct me if I am wrong) we haven't had all listed legislators vote on every vote in ages, if not ever (since I have been here).
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

As stated in the OP, I recognize that, but I don't see why that should prevent having a provision in our law that allows the Chair to close votes should the situation arise.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Normally, I would agree, but I think in this instance it is over legislating. Ending a vote on time vs early would not necessarily change anything either.

Needless to say, I am not opposed to this amendment, and would indeed vote for it, I just don't think it justifies adding it to the law.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes Griffindor's post:
  • Somyrion

This is utterly pointless, as we never have all legislators vote.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Roavin, Somyrion

Eh.  I mean, I think it's unlikely we'll have all the votes, but I could see potential benefits. I'll support.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Damination

I'm also going to say that having a set time limit allows people to change their vote or vote a bit later without fear of having the vote close on them before the time ends.

Considering that we're adding uncertainty to gain a provision that will almost certainly never be used, I'm against this.

...Also if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jebediah's post:
  • Nat

(11-16-2020, 06:54 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Eh.  I mean, I think it's unlikely we'll have all the votes, but I could see potential benefits. I'll support.

Echoing Tsu, support.

(11-16-2020, 03:34 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: As stated in the OP, I recognize that, but I don't see why that should prevent having a provision in our law that allows the Chair to close votes should the situation arise.

In support, but I ask the Assemblyman to extend the same deference for solutions to possible future realities he seeks here, to all legislative considerations currently facing this chamber.
DELEGATE MINISTER to the SOUTH PACIFIC
from the FRR OF ADRIATICAN
CULTURE LEAD - NSCW
LEGISLATOR of the ASSEMBLY

(11-16-2020, 06:54 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Eh.  I mean, I think it's unlikely we'll have all the votes, but I could see potential benefits. I'll support.
Could someone outline what these potential benefits are? I'll be honest, I struggle to think of any - except that perhaps a bill might become law a day or two before it otherwise would have, which strikes me as marginal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bleakfoot's post:
  • Rebeltopia