We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Restricting election commissioner eligibility

Now, I find this to be an interesting finding because I found it while doing some proofreading of the dispatch project as part of the MoE. As it happens, you could still hold elected office while serving as election commissioner, just as long as it is as a member of the Local Council or Chair of the Assembly. Considering that we rely on the EC to oversee these elections too, I think that we should restrict their eligibility so that they cannot run for or hold an elected office.

Elections Act
An act establishing elections for office

1. Election Commission

(3) The Commissioner may not run for or hold an elected office or hold the office of Delegate, Prime Minister, or Cabinet minister, during their tenure as Commissioner.

This is a terrible idea and will make it even harder to find a qualified EC than it has been in the past. The key thing is that they shouldn't be running in the election are administering.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Poppy

What if we had more than one member of the EC, and let them hold other elected offices as long as they can’t administer elections that they’re running in?
Republic of Lansoon (Pacifica)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Comfed's post:
  • Poppy

What happens in practice is that each election the CRS checks to see who is available - not running for an election, holding a restricted post, or busy IRL - and then appoints them as Election Commissioner. Usually it's a member of the CRS but on occasion it has also been a Justice.

[-] The following 3 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Comfed, Poppy, Volaworand

That argument makes no sense when the proposal is basically in line with how we've chosen ECs before. The proposal just includes the Chair and LC membership as disqualifying. I mean, would we appoint the Chair to be the EC over their own election? Let's be real.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Poppy

That's a reasonable point, actually. It really wouldn't effect many roles - and in practical terms I don't think we've ever had a Chair or Local Councillor act as Election Commissioner.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Poppy

I believe the original intent of the clause was that we didn't want anyone overseeing an election where they could theoretically solidify power, so no delegate running and LC election for example.

In practice, though, I think it's generally been conducted more in the vein of what Jay is proposing; I can't imagine an election where we had someone in elected office overseeing a different election.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Poppy

Currently the CRS selects the Election Commissioner...  and realistically I can't see the CRS losing its collective mind and selecting some ethically questionable EC.

I'm open to listening to the debate, but am pretty happy with leaving this as an administrative decision of our most trusted members.

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

[-] The following 1 user Likes Volaworand's post:
  • Poppy

(11-28-2020, 05:20 AM)Volaworand Wrote: Currently the CRS selects the Election Commissioner...  and realistically I can't see the CRS losing its collective mind and selecting some ethically questionable EC.

And, if they were ever to do so, we gots the powah of the recall! Tounge
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Poppy, Volaworand

(11-28-2020, 12:32 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 05:20 AM)Volaworand Wrote: Currently the CRS selects the Election Commissioner...  and realistically I can't see the CRS losing its collective mind and selecting some ethically questionable EC.

And, if they were ever to do so, we gots the powah of the recall! Tounge

Unfortunately, the recall power has been... recalled for maintenance.

But it should be good soon... probably Tounge
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jebediah's post:
  • Poppy