We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Resignation

From the end of January, I will have a lot of unpaid placement on top of university study. As such, I will not have sufficient time to carry out the duties of a Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific. While I did consider asking for Senior status, I concluded that a clean break would be in my best interests. Hence, I intend to resign.

Since there are about two months until I actually shall have to go, I am happy to stay on as a Justice until a replacement is appointed so as to avoid overloading the current bench. If there are no objections to this, I will inform the Cabinet that this is my intention. It has been a pleasure to serve on the Court. Thank you for being wonderful colleagues.
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)

I am sad to see you go, but regardless thank you for your service from the bench. I think delaying your actual resignation until we decide if a new Justice is needed, and if so then who will be appointed, would be the best move.

I think there is a benefit to having 4 Justices, one of whom is on Senior Status, so I'd favour starting the application process. @Belschaft and @Griffindor, what are your thoughts on this matter?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

It has been a pleasure working with you these last several months, Nat. Your legal reasoning, analysis, and writing are as sharp as ever, and something I will strive to get to (and surpass Wink ). I hope we will one day see you back on the court. Good luck with your university work!

In regards to a replacement Justice, I agree that 4 Justices is a good setup and gave the Court much-needed flexibility for handling cases. I would also be in favor to open the application process.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

Very sad to see you go Nat, but best of luck with your placements.

I agree that having four justices has been helpful and we should ask the Cabinet to conduct an application process for a replacement, but if there aren't any qualified candidates we can remain with three instead.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

I agree. I'll reach out to the Prime Minister to tell them the news, but clarifying that our priority is quality over quantity.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Griffindor

@Nat, would you like to announce your intent to resign before we open applications, or would you prefer to have a new Justice in place before announcing? I ask mainly to know if the call for applications should (or shouldn't) mention anything about your retirement.

Legal Resources:

Thank you all for your kind words. I would like to publicly announce my intent to resign before the application process begins. I intend to do so once Cabinet is informed and is on board. I have sent a resignation letter to the Prime Minister via private message and have copied the Chief Justice in.
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)

For the Sunshine Act:

Given Roavin's nomination is being considered by the Assembly and I have no more cases to discharge, I intend on formally resigning in the next day or two. Please let me know if there will be any issues with this. It has been a lovely time working with you all on the Court, and I wish you all the best  Smile

I think Roavin will have some pretty big shoes to fill. It has been a real pleasure working alongside you on the Court and I hope you have an opportunity to join us again at some point in the future. Either way, best of luck in your future endeavours!

Legal Resources: