We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Amendment to Article 3, section 3b of the Elections Act

The recent drama in the ongoing Local Council elections has brought this provision in our laws, and Local Council laws, to light. While it provides a way for SPSF members who have their WA away to vote, it specifies that they must be deployed for the duration of the poll. This, as we have seen, disenfranchises SPSF members called to defend the interests of the South Pacific internationally through the liberation of occupied regions, among many others. This is a common-sense fix that makes sure SPSF members will always be able to vote in gameside elections. 

Elections Act Wrote:
Elections Act
An act establishing elections for office

3. Office of the Delegate

[...]

(3) After receiving the top candidates in the forum election, an Election Commissioner will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.

[...]

b. Members of the South Pacific Special Forces who are deployed at any time during on deployment for the whole duration of the regional poll are eligible to cast a vote. The Minister of Defense shall provide a list of deployed personnel to the Election Commissioner. Members on the list who send the Commissioner their vote through a telegram and a public post on the Regional Message Board which tags the Election Commissioner and notes who their vote goes towards shall have it added to the final tally.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

How about at the end of the vote? An SPSF member could really easily vote twice with this (if deployment ends before vote ends, they can easily use an anonymous puppet). It's only really the end of the vote that matters for the counting, not the whole duration.
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Divine Owl, Griffindor, Philippinia, Rebeltopia

How would the Election Commissioner verify there was no instance of the same member voting twice?

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

[-] The following 2 users Like Volaworand's post:
  • Divine Owl, Griffindor

At this point, I’m beginning to think SPSF soldiers will just need to suck it up. Every amendment to this rule makes tracking the vote harder and less open to auditing.
[-] The following 5 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Belschaft, Divine Owl, Griffindor, im_a_waffle1, Somyrion

Unpopular opinion: Get rid of gameside polls and just use Google Forms
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes im_a_waffle1's post:
  • Griffindor

(12-10-2020, 05:47 PM)Volaworand Wrote: How would the Election Commissioner verify there was no instance of the same member voting twice?

If we use Nakari’s suggestion, it would be easy since if they are on deployment, they would be WA locked and Phoenix can verify that they didn’t move their WA somewhere else, assuming they keep lists of puppets and puppet owners.

If they don’t know when their deployment will end, they could first vote by telegram, and we can add a clause nullifying those telegram votes if deployment ends before poll ends. That way, those SPSF people - who were previously deployed and voted by telegram - will be forced to vote in the gameside poll, and no multiple voting will happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Philippinia's post:
  • Volaworand

(12-10-2020, 07:13 PM)Philippinia Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 05:47 PM)Volaworand Wrote: How would the Election Commissioner verify there was no instance of the same member voting twice?

If we use Nakari’s suggestion, it would be easy since if they are on deployment, they would be WA locked and Phoenix can verify that they didn’t move their WA somewhere else, assuming they keep lists of puppets and puppet owners.

If they don’t know when their deployment will end, they could first vote by telegram, and we can add a clause nullifying those telegram votes if deployment ends before poll ends. That way, those SPSF people - who were previously deployed and voted by telegram - will be forced to vote in the gameside poll, and no multiple voting will happen.

I'm a fan of this suggestion - it makes it a lot easier for things overall. However, I am concerned about a situation where the poll ends before the SPSF member was aware of them being off deployment, making them unable to cast a ballot. We can fix this with either sticking to my original amendment or making it so the TG vote is nullified if they cast a vote gameside. This still leaves open the double voting issue, though. 

Alternatively, we could make it so the General Corps + MoD command everyone to move their WA back to TSP, then if anyone's puppet used for the op resigns and the main WA isn't back, their vote would be nullified. I'm not a fan of this, though, as it would be incredibly hard to track. 

(12-10-2020, 06:10 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: At this point, I’m beginning to think SPSF soldiers will just need to suck it up. Every amendment to this rule makes tracking the vote harder and less open to auditing.

This is the absolute wrong attitude on this issue - if we want to maintain and grow our prowess as a Defender region, we need to make sure members of our military are able to vote. Doing otherwise either jeopardizes recruitment or disenfranchises an ever-growing number of South Pacificans, well within the margins of deciding an election.

The fact that we even do gameside voting at all for elections is concerning. Google Forms is hardly an improvement at all. The best way to vote is on the forum and done so in a way that each person is verifiable in some way or fashion to not only make sure that people aren't voting more than once but also to make it more difficult for outside actors to influence the outcome of our elections.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(12-10-2020, 07:32 PM)North Prarie Wrote: I'm a fan of this suggestion - it makes it a lot easier for things overall. However, I am concerned about a situation where the poll ends before the SPSF member was aware of them being off deployment, making them unable to cast a ballot. We can fix this with either sticking to my original amendment or making it so the TG vote is nullified if they cast a vote gameside. This still leaves open the double voting issue, though. 
While it is a legitimate concern, since some might be too busy to check due to RL stuff, it is ultimately the citizen’s responsibility to check when their op is over - since updates only happen twice a day anyway.

Additionally, I think we should have an amendment outlining the specific timing of the start and end of gameside elections to make sure it is not too close or otherwise coincide with game updates - to give SPSF voters ample time to re-vote in the gameside poll if their deployment ends mere hours before the poll ends.

(12-10-2020, 07:35 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: The fact that we even do gameside voting at all for elections is concerning. Google Forms is hardly an improvement at all. The best way to vote is on the forum and done so in a way that each person is verifiable in some way or fashion to not only make sure that people aren't voting more than once but also to make it more difficult for outside actors to influence the outcome of our elections.

So you think that 7,000+ South Pacificans shouldn't have a voice in electing the leader of their region because they don't play the game like you do?

Got it.