We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Notifying delegate election beforehand for endotarting purpose

In respond to some legitimate criticism leveled against the delegate election endorsement cap or to be more specific the lack of a pre-notice. I propose we should enforce the EC to put out a notice about endotarting for the Delegate election some time (a topic for debate here also) before its nomination period starts. Also I notice there is a lack of a defined nomination period for delegate elections here. Can anybody fill that in for me? 
Section a, Article 3, the Elections Act Wrote:
Elections Act
[...]

3. Office of the Delegate

[...]

a. Any eligible legislator wishing to run for Delegate may declare their candidacy, and the Assembly will debate the merits of their platform. Any player who has been banned from World Assembly membership will be considered ineligible and any candidate who is later discovered to be banned from World Assembly membership will be immediately disqualified. Legislators wishing to run for Delegate must hold a number of endorsements equal to at least 80% of the existing applicable endorsement cap at the commencement of the election period. The Election Commission shall create a notice about this election one month before the commencement of the election period for any citizen who wants to declare their candidacy to satisfy the endorsement requirement. 
b. The campaign and debate period will last one week, after which the Assembly will vote for 3 days.
c. This round of voting for delegate will be conducted using Approval Voting.
d. The two candidates with the highest number of approvals will move to a second round of voting conducted via a poll of Native World Assembly members.
e. Should the voting result in a tie, more than two nations may move onto the second round of voting.
f. If an advancing candidate receive less than 50% approval, the option to Re-Open Nominations will be "approved", and the process for that slot shall begin again at the campaign and debate period.

[...]
Chief Supervising Armchair

I think we should specify what a notice entails, like a mass telegram or Discord ping, unless we specified elsewhere what a notice is.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(01-02-2021, 11:40 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I think we should specify what a notice entails, like a mass telegram or Discord ping, unless we specified elsewhere what a notice is.

I try to keep it generic like how the act defines that role of the EC for all other elections. But you can make it more specific if you need. I am not good at wording these kinds of amendments.

Would prefer Hya's suggestion (moving the endo check to the end of the nomination period instead of the beginning) to this. We basically never actually have an EC appointed a month in advance of the election, and we realistically can't -- in that span of time, people go inactive, get busy, become available, etc. People will pretty much always forget about making this announcement. Better to just give people the chance to tart before nominations end.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 4 users Like Somyrion's post:
  • Belschaft, Farengeto, Rebeltopia, Seraph

(01-03-2021, 12:12 AM)Somyrion Wrote: Would prefer Hya's suggestion (moving the endo check to the end of the nomination period instead of the beginning) to this. We basically never actually have an EC appointed a month in advance of the election, and we realistically can't -- in that span of time, people go inactive, get busy, become available, etc. People will pretty much always forget about making this announcement. Better to just give people the chance to tart before nominations end.

May worth to add this as a part of clarifying our nomination period all together.

(01-03-2021, 12:43 AM)USoVietnam Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 12:12 AM)Somyrion Wrote: Would prefer Hya's suggestion (moving the endo check to the end of the nomination period instead of the beginning) to this. We basically never actually have an EC appointed a month in advance of the election, and we realistically can't -- in that span of time, people go inactive, get busy, become available, etc. People will pretty much always forget about making this announcement. Better to just give people the chance to tart before nominations end.

May worth to add this as a part of clarifying our nomination period all together.

Maybe create an 'Elections Schedule' dispatch that's always pinned? Or have the Delegate, MoM, or someone else send out a mass TG the month before?
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

I think one way or the other is ok but with regard to Somy’s point about the EC I’m in favor of moving the endo check to the end of the nomination period. It’s completely possible to get from zero endorsements to the level needed in a week if you’re good at tarting, which should be a qualification for del anyhow, and it gives people who aren’t in compliance with the rule but want to run a chance to be compliant even if they hadn’t decided until later.

The 80% rule is good. It should stay. But I think this is a fair compromise.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Seraph

I like Hya and Somy's suggestion best for an the reasons listed above. Knowing how the EC scramble tends to happen from inside the CRS, there's no way that Viet's announcement idea - as good as that would be in an ideal world - would ever happen.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I'm going to second or third the impracticality of a pre-election message. And, to Somy's point — a month is a pretty substantial time period in NS life. It's not just that ECs go inactive, but I suspect people would simply forget in the run up.

I would, however, agree to moving it to the end of nominating/campaigning period. This would also stymie public apathy since the election will be occurring and thus holding attention.

Finally, there is purposefully a lack of nominating period for delegate elections. Since there's a two-round voting system there is plenty of time for campaigning before anyone is declared the winner. No need to put additional barriers on top of it.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 6 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Belschaft, Farengeto, Penguin, Roavin, Seraph, Somyrion

(01-03-2021, 10:39 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: I'm going to second or third the impracticality of a pre-election message. And, to Somy's point — a month is a pretty substantial time period in NS life. It's not just that ECs go inactive, but I suspect people would simply forget in the run up.

I would, however, agree to moving it to the end of nominating/campaigning period. This would also stymie public apathy since the election will be occurring and thus holding attention.

Finally, there is purposefully a lack of nominating period for delegate elections. Since there's a two-round voting system there is plenty of time for campaigning before anyone is declared the winner. No need to put additional barriers on top of it.

I would support this idea.
swifty
Nation: Imperial Dodo
Discord Tag: swiftygamer#1448

[Image: K732CSn.png][Image: IL1nUV5.png][Image: iEwICrf.png][Image: 5bDBXB8.png]
[Image: q6bfWoR.png] [Image: vJjA98X.png]
Other Achievements/Roles:
- Minister of Culture (October 2020 - February 2021)
- SPSF Tidal Force Coordinator (April 2021 - Present)
- Deputy Chair of the Assembly (September 2020 - October 2020)
- MoM Member (October 2020 - Present)
- MoE Member (October 2020 - Present)
- Cabinet Advisor (August 2020 - October 2020)
- A TSP Legislator (July 2020 - Present)
- SPSF Soldier (June 2020 - Present)
- Ambassador to South Pacific (August 2020 - October 2020)
- Ambassador to The League (April 2021 - Present)
- Local Council Candidate (July/August 2020)
- Chair of the Assembly Candidate (September 2020)
- The MasterMind behind SPSFphoenixcoup2020
- The Loyal Servant of Goddess Phoenix
- The Most Active Member of OWL
- A very cute bear on the outside but on the inside, well, no one knows...