We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Compliance with the Times Act

I'm finally working on revamping ORCS and a simple formatting tool and when trying to standardise the formats of the various documents we have I realised that we have quite a number of deadlines. A strict reading of the Times Act would mean that we'd have to generate countdowns for each and every one of those deadlines (submission of amicus briefs, requests for recusal, self-defence). While I'm not inherently opposed to that, it does mean slightly more work, which is why I'd like to hear what you all think about this and how strictly we should read the Times Act.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Well, it's mandatory, so I don't see a reason why we shouldn't comply.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I do agree with Roavin that we should be following the laws as they are supposed to be.

However, there is some interpretation that could be made as to whether or not our deadlines are strictly "legal deadlines". In my experience, we simply post deadlines when we reach a point where we are ready to release/receive information to/from the public. Nothing in the laws inherently says that "we must post a verdict within X days and hours", so if you loosely interpret the law, we don't need to strictly comply, since we don't have legal deadlines. Besides, the last provision of the Times Act encouraging us to implement the Times Act is intent enough.

In all seriousness, It shouldn't be too hard to follow this law, so we don't need to purposefully go around it. Smile
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

The Times Act is a burdensome piece of over-legislation, but it is the law. I think Griff is correct that we don't have to comply as Court deadlines don't fall under the definition of "legal deadlines" but we are encouraged to implement it.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Considering what you've all said and out of an abundance of caution I've included fields where we can add links for timers in the Formatting Tool. The tool itself already calculates the deadlines as part of its generation of the document code.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System