We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Feb 2021 Transition - Planning

February 2021 Transition Plan

It's time for another Cabinet to take the reins! Smile This thread will serve as our planning for both the transition and the first week or so of the new term. I want to go over hand-offs for current Ministers, then into some organizational things, and then get the ball rolling on the first month agenda. So this is part agenda-setting and part discussion, as I introduce some ideas I'd like to adopted Cabinet-wide or in specific ministries. 

Part 1: Ministry hand-offs
  • Minister of Foreign Affairs: Omega, we'll need a briefing on where things stand with the Partnership for Sovereignty and any outstanding ministry business.
    • What are things that need to be taken care of straight away?
    • Where did discussion end up regarding a permanent forum for P4S?
    • Roavin and I will need added to the existing Discord server.
  • Minister of Culture: Swifty, please brief us on outstanding ministry business.
    • Are there any events that are still in the planning stage?
  • Minister of Media: Islas, you're the incumbent so no hand-off is necessary. But we need a nice and engaging announcement of the new Cabinet ASAP. This isn't an inaugural or agenda preview, just an announcement that the new Cabinet was elected and that we're beginning the transition.
  • Minister of Engagement: Viet, no hand-off needed as well. I think we all know you're working on the cards program.
  • Minister of Defense: Phoenix, please coordinate with the Generals and W&S on anything need-to-know. There shouldn't be anything major that needs handed off to my knowledge, but any missions between now and the start of the new term are a good opportunity to W&S to get their hands dirty.
Part 2: Transparency and organization 

Regular Meetings

I would like to implement a regular meeting schedule for the Cabinet. These would be touch-base meetings to discuss ministry projects, where help is needed, etc. My goal is that these will be public Discord meetings viewable-only by the Assembly legislators. These won't replace private sessions, where we'll discuss sensitive things or projects that would lose their purposes or impact if every aspect was public (like specific stories planned in Media or something). All Discord-based meetings will be summarized and reported on the Cabinet public or private forums.

Internal Councils

I previewed this in the Assembly, but given the differing portfolios of each ministry, I want to set some ground rules on who will be involved in what. Once the new term begins, I want to form two internal Cabinet councils:
  • Foreign Affairs Council (FAC): Membership comprised of the Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Minister of Defense, along with any appointed deputies or foreign affairs advisers. This team will be responsible for foreign policy strategy and implementation. Foreign affairs discussions and decision-making will take place primarily within this group. Anything that legally requires a full Cabinet vote will of course be brought to one. But I want our domestic ministries focusing on their portfolios.
  • Domestic Affairs Council (DAC): Membership compromised of the Prime Minister, Minister of Media, Minister of Culture, and Minister of Engagement, along with appointed deputies and advisers. This team will be responsible for cross-ministry projects and overall domestic regional strategy (recruitment, player engagement, etc).
What I'd like to see, ultimately, is these internal councils spark more collaboration on a whole-region strategy, rather than a bunch of separate ministries with little is no cross-ministry communication or projects. Hopefully this organizational system works well enough for future Cabinets to stick with it. I imagine there will be questions about this, and as a whole Cabinet we'll be kind of negotiating the borders a bit. This isn't something that's been formally done before, as far as I'm aware.

Part 3: First month agenda

First, I want to say pause any Trello boarding right now. When I do the server maintenance on Feb 17, I plan on installing a kanban package that we can use internally. No point in needing to duplicate your work here. So just hold tight Smile

I would like each minister to develop a first month agenda. I'm not expecting a full detailed one at this point-- we can do that at the start of the term. But basically get the brain circuits firing about a project you can wrap up by the end of March. I'll want to talk with each Minister individually about a full agenda, some thing I'd like to see done, and have a back-and-forth about that. (Not trying to be a dictator PM, but I do have some advice for some of you I would strongly consider taking Tounge )
[-] The following 5 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • North Prarie, Roavin, Swifty, USoVietnam, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Here is rundown of MoC Stuff:
  • The Lampshade Event: 
    • Complete
    • Will be hosted by me sometime this week, probably Wednesday or Thursday
  • Flag Contest:
    • Ongoing
    • I'm currently choosing the winner and choosing the next theme for the coming two weeks. I'll ask Prarie if he would rather do this than me.
  • CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventure):
    • Ready; Storyline complete
    • Just needs to be set up
  • Trivia Contest:
    • Not Started
    • The General Idea was to create a dedicated region and host a poll on there that would last a couple of days with the question relating to some kind of trivia. There would also be a Leaderboard on the WFE of that region with the top 5 (or 10).
    • Again, this is up to Prarie if he wants to go forward with this.
  • Card Lottery:
    • In partnership with MoE
    • Has been fully planned in DM's between myself and Viet
    • Just needs to be formalized and put into a google doc.
    • This would ideally take place along with the launch of the MoE Card Program
Also, during my time as MoC I had made a list of a couple of possible events that I, or future MoC's could host, so I'll post it here:
  • Mock Trial (maybe in partnership with the High Court)
  • Chess Tournament
  • TSP Olympics
  • TSP World Cup
  • Poetry or Writing Contests in-cooperation with MoM.
  • A TSP History Museum, with collections and stories and biographies of the influential people and major events during TSP's history. (Definitely a longer and more tedious one)
swifty
Nation: Imperial Dodo
Discord Tag: swiftygamer#1448

[Image: K732CSn.png][Image: IL1nUV5.png][Image: iEwICrf.png][Image: 5bDBXB8.png]
[Image: q6bfWoR.png] [Image: vJjA98X.png]
Other Achievements/Roles:
- Minister of Culture (October 2020 - February 2021)
- SPSF Tidal Force Coordinator (April 2021 - Present)
- Deputy Chair of the Assembly (September 2020 - October 2020)
- MoM Member (October 2020 - Present)
- MoE Member (October 2020 - Present)
- Cabinet Advisor (August 2020 - October 2020)
- A TSP Legislator (July 2020 - Present)
- SPSF Soldier (June 2020 - Present)
- Ambassador to South Pacific (August 2020 - October 2020)
- Ambassador to The League (April 2021 - Present)
- Local Council Candidate (July/August 2020)
- Chair of the Assembly Candidate (September 2020)
- The MasterMind behind SPSFphoenixcoup2020
- The Loyal Servant of Goddess Phoenix
- The Most Active Member of OWL
- A very cute bear on the outside but on the inside, well, no one knows...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Swifty's post:
  • sandaoguo

Here is a basic outline of the questions and projects according to Glen's post above.

- as far as transition things go, there isn't a whole lot of handing off that needs to be done. I have access to pretty much all relevant opsec by virtue of MoD and Cabinet masking on Discord and the forum, and unlike the old SPSF server there are no real logistical handoffs or anything anymore. I am however going to talk with the Generals and Phoenix over the next week to make sure we have dotted our Is and crossed our Ts in this regard. 

- on the mission side of things, I have had access to ops planning channels in Libcord and SPSF for a while now and am already one of the most active in planning and organizing operations. Most recently, in preparation for a potential liberation of The Embassy, I discovered and refounded a region that updated immediately before it. This was a critical find that would have near-perfectly countered raider attempts to mess with our triggers. The op never materialized due to a lack of numbers, but I am already well underway in this type of defender operations. 

- There are two big items on the first month agenda. The first is parsing all of our SPSF reports into digestible per-soldier data at least as far back as what I can see on the old SPSF server, and the second is rebooting the Tidal Force. Both of these I expect to have timeframes of approximately one month, potentially a bit less for the Tidal Force, for completion.

- Outside of that, I'm exploring plans to evolve and expand civilian involvement in the military and give more meaning to the term "civilian control" here as enshrined in the charter, but that is not concrete yet and I am willing to entertain any and all ideas. The Tidal Force seems the most obvious place to start - but there will be more on this as ideas materialize, and it is not the immediate focus.

- I really like the public meeting room thread idea. Transparency is a good thing and I think it would be great to have a publically viewable channel that only Cabinet members could speak in. Same with the committee things - def on board for interdepartmental collaboration.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • sandaoguo

(02-15-2021, 11:40 AM)sandaoguo Wrote:  
  • What are things that need to be taken care of straight away?

• Where did discussion end up regarding a permanent forum for P4S?

I'll get both of these at once. In the short term someone from TSP needs to become active in it. HS has taken on that role as being the "super active" person there so someone needs to challenge for that role. That's really it, just establish leadership now. Additionally, I would just note that TNP may need to be reproached to see where we go next there.

The forum discussion fizzled out but XKI is staunchly opposed. Membership expansion took priority.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

First-month agenda:
  • Finalizing the dispatch project:
    • Proofreading 3 remaining dispatches (On-going)
    • Clean-up the security-related dispatches
    • Fix the law reference system
    • Fix remaining bugs and add remaining features to the dispatch script
    • Discuss on beta launching and actual launching of the project
  • Card project:
    • Continue working on the card cleanup script
    • Discuss about the card guides and dispatches
    • Name competition with Ministry of Culture
    • Discuss about the formal regulation code for the card organization
    • Finalizing the remaining hard numbers in the plan
  • Telegram project: Continue discussing the criteria for telegram recipients and the way to find relevant data under the game's constraint.
  • Graphic design and wiki: Their coordinators will have free reign over their projects. I will seldom provide detailed guidance unlike the above.
Chief Supervising Armchair

First-month agenda:
  • Get organized with the new Kanban system!
  • Get caught up on PfS and make sure we have a Delegation there.
  • Begin talks about a PfS forum
  • Deal with the TNP kerfuffle
  • Finalize the staff roster with the existing members for now
  • Start a conversation on what regions we want to send ambassadors to
  • Start a conversation on where updates from our ambassadors should go
  • Get started on regional wiki pages

I've deliberately excluded sending people to new places or getting new people on board, as I think we should get things going with what we have first, establish the structures with a leaner and more manageable setup, and then scale up from there.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

First month agenda:
  • Build up Ministry infrastructure!
    • Figure out what roles people are going to have and how general planning is going to work.
    • Start some record-keeping in the form of a Ministry roster.
    • Figure out who is willing to stick around at the Ministry (have already started doing this).
  • Establish a connection with fellow PfS culture people and get planning for a cross-PfS event going.
  • Get the Culture Calendar completed and host an activity on it.
  • Reach out to the LC and talk about how they feel about activities gameside.
  • Talk to RP leaders about RP promotion.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister