We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

New LegComm Members

Hi,

LegComm suggests appointing W&S and Moonstar.

Witchcraft and Sorcery
Describe your previous experience with forum administration, IP checks, and/or email checks.
I'm a forum and Discord administrator and commander of the Rangers in the region of Founderless. In that role I am responsible for masking and confirming forum and Discord members, checking IPs (though I certainly don't have as big a list as some who have been doing this a while a while), and email/identity confirmation. I also spent one year as a Tactical Officer in TITO where I did similar background checks, though that was limited to verifying emails and other identities.

Describe your experience and familiarity with the general culture of NationStates Gameplay and the position that the South Pacific plays within it.
I've been playing the game since 2013 and defending since 2014. I have been in command or officer positions in various militaries nearly continuously since 2016 in the times where I have been active. I was one of the most vocal proponents of TSP's official change to defender military alignment, and I've been a champion of that cause throughout my entire career. I have excellent knowledge of our position in the world of gameplay due to my connections across the game generally and defender sphere specifically.

Describe any conflicts of interest, personal flaws, or other such matters that may impact your work on the Legislator Committee.
As mentioned above I am an administrator, government official, and military commander in Founderless. I also have very strong ties to 10000 Islands due to my years of residence and service there, and I have recently applied for citizenship in the Rejected Realms. All of these regions are either allies or share a military and ideological alignment with the South Pacific, but I wish to be transparent about my ties to other regions.

on the subject of personal flaws - I am aware that in the last couple years I have developed a reputation for sudden disappearances; I do not anticipate this happening anytime soon. My acceptance of admin positions in Founderless as well as my involvement in the trading cards community has added to my interest in the game and ensured my longevity; especially with the pandemic I expect to be around to stay for the foreseeable future.

What maximum response time are you willing to pledge (for times you are not on a Leave of Absense)?
24 hours

The Legislator Committee Act notes some required information that must be present on an application for Legislator status. Beyond the legally required information, which information do you feel the Legislator Committee should add to the application?
I'm mostly okay with the public part of the application. There is some potential information that could be used in private to ascertain an individual's identity, but I will place that in the next answer.

Continuing from the previous question, what kind of information do you feel should be, or may be, inquired from an applicant via public or private dialogue?
Time zone, or if there's question about an individual's IP, country or US state. I realize that this information can be personal, and so I generally am not favor in asking it publicly, but if an IP shows any signs of being falsified or using proxies, the individual's location should be requested to whatever degree the Committee feels is appropriate to ascertain whether an individual is applying in bad faith. That is my principal concern.

Do you feel that the committee should continue to track IP and/or email information throughout a member's legislatorship?
I think it's important to keep tabs on them and note any significant changes. For example if there is a dramatic change in location or email address it should be inquired into. Sometimes changes are benign, but in my time in TITO command we had some incidents resulting from sudden changes in information that ended up revealing members who had applied in bad faith. In general though, I like the wording of the Legislator Committee Act and have no groundbreaking changes I'd make to it.

Assuming that no CRS members are members of the committee, how do you think the coordination between the CRS and the Committee should be done?
CRS, or a representative, should probably have access to the Legislator Committee's private chat or forum area in order to have some sort of liaison. Glen and Tsu are Discord admins so they seem to be the natural people to liaise between the two groups, and would probably be the easiest way to coordinate between CRS and LegComm.

Assuming that the Chair of Assembly is not a member of the committee, how do you think the coordination between the Chair and the Committee should be done?
While I don't think it's appropriate for the Chair to have access to LegComm information in the same way I am with the CRS, there could be a separate group chat or something created for LegComm to pass pertinent information to the Chair that is not accessible by any other members.

Would you rather prefer that the Committee operates on a consensus model, or that the Committee chooses a leader amongst its members ?
No, I like a consensus model. I don't see a need for a leader in an organization like this. It's a small group, there really isn't a need for a tiebreaker or leader of sorts. The only case where it might be useful is when the Committee needs some kind of representative, as in the recent High Court cases, but even then I feel it could be done on a case-by-case basis. At most a "first among equals" model might work for something like this, but I don't think LegComm needs to have a leader per se.

In which cases do you see the need for a standing or select non-voting advisor for the Committee?
I think it's important to have someone experienced who can be consulted in the case that the committee is relatively experienced. When I was first learning how to be a military commander, I learned a lot from the officer I was replacing and some other experienced folks who were not necessarily official commanders, but who were still consulted on occasion.

Are you 18 years of age or older?
Yes

Moonstar
Describe your previous experience with forum administration, IP checks, and/or email checks.
Yes. Multiple forum and discord adminship/mod.

Describe your experience and familiarity with the general culture of NationStates Gameplay and the position that the South Pacific plays within it.
Over a decade, still somewhat hip to know things. Probably.

Describe any conflicts of interest, personal flaws, or other such matters that may impact your work on the Legislator Committee.
None. I'm only directly involved in TSP. Have no issues with TSP people and neutral to any foreigners that aren't known threats or enemies.

What maximum response time are you willing to pledge (for times you are not on a Leave of Absense)?
24 hours

The Legislator Committee Act notes some required information that must be present on an application for Legislator status. Beyond the legally required information, which information do you feel the Legislator Committee should add to the application?
I think listing current and past regions should be split into that plus current/past military memberships. Rough dates required for all 4 sections. (For example: May 1, 2020 or mid 2020 to early 2021 or for 1 year etc , for joining and leaving. Join Date-Present for current activity)

Continuing from the previous question, what kind of information do you feel should be, or may be, inquired from an applicant via public or private dialogue?
Anything that isn't invasively asking of RL information. Though asking for age or general location (continent, country) should be fine as long as it's not forced publically.

Do you feel that the committee should continue to track IP and/or email information throughout a member's legislatorship?
Absolutely.

Assuming that no CRS members are members of the committee, how do you think the coordination between the CRS and the Committee should be done?
There's a lot of tie in for security of the region regardless of it be gameside, forum, or discord. I'm not sure I like how this question is worded, I'd expect LegComm and CRS to always work in tandem when needed. It would hurt the region if any refused to assist.

Assuming that the Chair of Assembly is not a member of the committee, how do you think the coordination between the Chair and the Committee should be done?
HYA FOR CHAIR 4 EVAH! I'm not exactly sure how much a role Chair has that is similar to CRS+LegComm? Heads of assemblies usually do a lot of organizational work plus logging changes of things. Regardless, by default it would be harmful if either refused to assist the other I think.

Would you rather prefer that the Committee operates on a consensus model, or that the Committee chooses a leader amongst its members ?
Why not both?

In which cases do you see the need for a standing or select non-voting advisor for the Committee?
Maybe something with CRS or Admin/Mod to keep communication lines always available and assistance? I don't see why anyone else should?

Are you 18 years of age or older?
Yes
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Witchcraft and Sorcery

Will abstain on the determination of my own candidacy but Moonstar is a good choice imo. Long time active person, lots of experience with this sort of thing, has been very dedicated to community activity in TSP lately. So I’ll support that.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Roavin

My question for W&S is if it’d be too much to juggle. I don’t want to see anybody getting burned out.

I don’t have major concerns about either applicant. I don’t know Moonstar well, but I trust that LegComm has vetted them thoroughly.

So, my Cabinet was criticized about doing what we’re about to do now - appointing a Cabinet member to LegComm. While I don’t think it’s a CoI, what are we planning to do to address the concerns that were raised during Phoenix’s confirmation?
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

As far as things to juggle, yes I have a lot on my plate, but I also have a literal ocean of time and not much else to do given my current work situation. Long story short I wouldn’t have applied if I didn’t think I could manage. If anyone knows a thing or two about burnout it’s me. <_< I’ll say the exact same thing in the assembly thread if and when it arises.

Regarding Moonstar, Roavin and I both know him well and I can absolutely vouch for his credentials. He’s an extremely strong candidate for the job with a ton of experience in this area, and is trusted across the game.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.

Shall we vote?

I’m in favor of both applicants.

In favor of Moonstar. Abstain regarding myself.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

In favor of both.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Aye on both.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

Aye on Moonstar
Nay on W&S

There is legitimate concern if it is too much for W&S again considering he is holding both the SPSF and may serve a crucial role in our card program in the future. LegComm job seems simple enough until you delay an application for more than 2 days which is where incompetence as defined by law is the correct word to throw at.
Chief Supervising Armchair