We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Foreign Affairs: Renewal of Pax Capricorn (with NPO)

Fellow Legislators,

the Pax Capricorn treaty expires next month. As per VI.6, it requires a renewal every 12 months (so basically it needs to be "passed again").

In my opinion, there is no reason not to renew, and I would move to remove that clause entirely as it's just begging to be forgotten (and it almost did this time - thanks to Jay for pointing it out!)

As has become tradition, I want to open this to you, my fellow South Pacificans, for discussion to see where we stand on this before I move forward. Unless something major happens, I intend to approach them within the next few days.

-- Roavin, your friendly lampshade-wearing MoFA
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 6 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Damination, HumanSanity, Jay Coop, Langburn, Moon, Witchcraft and Sorcery

I see no issue with removing that clause and in fact fully support it for the reasons outlined above. It's just begging to be forgotten and relations with the NPO show no sign of deteriorating. From a military side they have been an excellent gameplay partner for anti-fascist operations and have also begun working with us in earnest opposing TBH. I'm very happy with the treaty and the direction of our work with the NPO.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 3 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Damination, Moon, North Prarie

Sounds good to me.
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Penguin's post:
  • Damination

Approve.

I see no problem with removing the sunset provision from the treaty and also no problem with renewing the treaty.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

As there has been no further debate, I motion the treaty for a renewal vote.

It seems there is also a consensus for the MoFA to engage the FA minister for the NPO to remove the sunset clause from the treaty.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

I think the MoFA needs to speak with his counterpart in the NPO before moving forward on that. It's better if we let this treaty expire than vote twice on both renewing the original treaty and a revised version without the sunset provision.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Roavin

(04-01-2021, 11:29 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I think the MoFA needs to speak with his counterpart in the NPO before moving forward on that. It's better if we let this treaty expire than vote twice on both renewing the original treaty and a revised version without the sunset provision.

Indeed! We'll be reaching out to them this weekend (once they've wrapped up whatever it is they're doing right now with their Delegate shenanigans Tounge), and I'll bring the treaty (amended or not) before the Assembly when it's time.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I am firmly opposed to the renewal of the Pax Capricorn treaty with the New Pacific Order. As an authoritarian, tyrannical regime, the NPO simply doesn't share the fiercely liberal democratic values of the Coalition of the South Pacific and the South Pacific Government should not be engaging in formal relations with them until they dramatically and democratically reform their system of government.

If we as a government and as a region truly support native rights, we would support the right of natives of the Pacific to exercise self determination over their regional government and push for the establishment of a democratic regional government in the Pacific. Until then, we must always remember that the NPO under successive Emperors has put on a brilliant but unconvincing show about how much they have changed whilst continuing to undermine regional sovereignty all around the world.

How can we as a defender and a democratic regime continue to be allied with a region that stands for everything that we are against?

While I appreciate that the NPO has actively worked with the South Pacific Special Forces into anti-fascist operations, the simple fact is that undertaking anti-fascist military operations is a basic expectation of any legitimate regional military. This in itself is not a sufficient reason for a renewal of the treaty with the NPO.

I am also opposed to the Minister of Foreign Affairs' proposal to remove the sunset clause. Such a removal robs the Assembly of our ability to control foreign affairs and locks us into a treaty with a region that is firmly opposed to our values permanently.

I ask the Assembly to stand up for regional sovereignty, democracy and native rights. The Assembly must firmly reject the renewal of this abysmal region.
The Commonwealth of Langburn
WA Member
Regional Legislative Office

(04-05-2021, 08:19 PM)Langburn Wrote: I am firmly opposed to the renewal of the Pax Capricorn treaty with the New Pacific Order. As an authoritarian, tyrannical regime, the NPO simply doesn't share the fiercely liberal democratic values of the Coalition of the South Pacific and the South Pacific Government should not be engaging in formal relations with them until they dramatically and democratically reform their system of government.

If we as a government and as a region truly support native rights, we would support the right of natives of the Pacific to exercise self determination over their regional government and push for the establishment of a democratic regional government in the Pacific. Until then, we must always remember that the NPO under successive Emperors has put on a brilliant but unconvincing show about how much they have changed whilst continuing to undermine regional sovereignty all around the world.

How can we as a defender and a democratic regime continue to be allied with a region that stands for everything that we are against?

While I appreciate that the NPO has actively worked with the South Pacific Special Forces into anti-fascist operations, the simple fact is that undertaking anti-fascist military operations is a basic expectation of any legitimate regional military. This in itself is not a sufficient reason for a renewal of the treaty with the NPO.

I am also opposed to the Minister of Foreign Affairs' proposal to remove the sunset clause. Such a removal robs the Assembly of our ability to control foreign affairs and locks us into a treaty with a region that is firmly opposed to our values permanently.

I ask the Assembly to stand up for regional sovereignty, democracy and native rights. The Assembly must firmly reject the renewal of this abysmal region.

I believe this is counter-productive; if it was some random UCR that this treaty was about, maybe I'd agree with you, but this is NPO we're talking about, and I believe it is important to have good relations with every feeder, regardless of their government.

Full support for the renewal of the treaty and removal of Clause VI.6.
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]