We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[IC] A Change of Heart

Sinaia Royal Palace,
Stoinia,
Stoinian Star Kingdom,
02:45 local time

It was deep into the night and almost everyone couldn't believe the election result. Ryan Adams had won... Sinaia fell silent that night, expecting to have celebrations with Sheridan's victory. Not a single sound could be heard. It was as if the birds knew what had happened. King Andrei looked over the classical city as the lights of the apartments began to flicker away. People were turning to sleep after the long night. It had been a long day and they awaited the final results of the Chancellery elections from the planets far away in the realm. It felt as if an era had come to an end. The Centrist Party had governed over the Star Kingdom for 15 T-years and had brought new programs to the nation. In the last years, Stoinia believed it could have peace with xeno nations.

Finally we could prevent what happened to my father... And my people... When will they learn that we don't need another tragedy or worse, make them ourselves?

The King worried as more lights faded away in the city. The he heard some footsteps coming his way. He recognized it. The light and elegant feet of his wife. He remained stern as he continued to gaze over the city. She hugged one of his arms and rested her head on his shoulder. He loved that feeling. Even in dire situations like these where all hope seemed lost, she still had a way to cheer him up. He first had this feeling when they first met on a state visit on Frisia. Both were barely 18 T-years old and the Velutarian War had just ended. Andrei felt like a true butcher in that period, but Nynke knew how ease his burden. Finally she spoke with a soft voice.

"Whatever happens next... We'll be there for you."

"I know my love."

He kissed her head and embraced.

"You know, Ryan Adams is about to give his speech... Maybe we sho-"

"All right... I'll have to deal with him eventually..."

They walked back into the large living room where the older children still were awake. Especially Carol and Aurelian, they rest had fallen asleep. Carol rose up as Ryan Adams appeared on the screen and exchanged a few words with Aurelian.

"Let's see what the man has to say..."

"Oh please, the same old political stuff. I tell you, he'll just make empty promises..."

"Come now... Sheridan at least fulfilled his. Can't believe the people didn't see how beneficial the Thousand Worlds Program would be for the nation..."

Andrei then interjected between his sons.

"In these times where we disagree with the people... We must tread carefully. We don't want to appear as unrelatable aristocrats. We both know that's for the Ryccies."

The last part put a smile on his sons' faces.

I just hope Elena won't end up like them. Still... She's one tough lady.

Ryan Adams began his speech. He wore his classical suit, a Stoinian sign of wealth. Within the Tozorian Corridor these were made out of more expensive fabric. The Tozorians were indeed more extravagant and as close a Stoinian could come to a Ryccian and this speech would be nothing more, nothing less. The man was determined and made usage of his fist as gesture as he spoke.

"My fellow Stoinians! This election is the turning point of the last year. The proud government turned xeno-lover has done nothing but undermine our very foundation? Why is it that we suddenly became allies with xenos? Make Non Aggression Pacts and trade agreements with them? Spend money on embassies to engage in talks with lesser beings. We here in the southern sectors had a saying during the Velutarian War. Only good Velutarian is a dead Velutarian. It was true then, it's true now! It's time we turn the clock around and retake our destiny to bring order to these barbarians. If anyone resist us, they will share the same fate as the ones who did so before them. Do you hear a Qoxex chirp in protest anymore? A Marcavani challenge you to a duel to settle the mistakes of their species? A Velutarian debate technology with us? Or better yet, hear the Mardakii's roar that frightened our ancestors. NO! We have proven that we shall stand our ground and never surrender! With my inauguration, the Stoinian Lion will roar once more!"

The audience of the rally busted into cheers and applause. Aurelian spoke up.

"Huh... Doesn't seem so bad. I mean he does have a point, the rest of the Sector should fear us."

Andrei looked with a deep and stern look at his son. He feared he might become what he feared most. A Stoinian warmonger... The fear that he held deep in his heart. That his people would go on a genocidal campaign like the Mardakii. Becoming the very thing they swore to destroy...

"Son..."

He shook off his emotions and looked stoically at Aurelian.

"You mean to tell me that we should engage in campaigns to destroy every xeno out there? Just because they don't think or live like us? We are Stoinian for God's sake! We are all different. Your mother is not of the same ethnic culture as I and yet still we can work together. Even a Qingese or Aferican looks different from us. No, everyone has their worth, granted that they must prove it. By simply dismissing anyone based on trivial aspects you start going on a path we swore to destroy. Can't you see that Adams is doing just that!"

Aurelian looked down. He knew his father was right deep down, but something inside him burned. An ambition to set a resting impact on the stars and that the Star Kingdom would become the Lion of A1-0. Adams seemed to bring that, but his father had more experience on the matter. Andrei sat next him as he knew he may have been too harsh.

"Son... You have to be careful to believe the message anyone says. Study their history and the meaning behind those words. On both short and long term. That's what makes a good ruler. Leading his people through thick and thin, but never losing sight of his goal that his people may live better days."

"I guess... You are the King after all."

"But also a man. Always remember that Aurelian."

Andrei exchanged a few glances with his wife and looked at the rest of the children who fell asleep.

"All right now. This has gone long enough. I want you Rascals in bed and if any of you try to rebel I'll make it an order. Now let me help carry your sisters to their beds."

He went through Aurelian's hair before standing up. They carried his children away to their beds and tucked them in nicely. Just as he gave Maria a kiss on the forehead and left her room, a Royal Guardsman came to him.

"Sir, Admiral Garibaldi is requesting your attention. Sir."

"All right. Let's see what our friend has to tell us."

"Absolutely not!"

Those were the words Andrei shouted as Admiral Garibaldi told his plan to resign from his position. The man feared his program would end with Adams' inauguration and wanted it to end on his terms by resigning. Andrei didn't agree with it one single bit. Just because of one election the whole Stoinian foreign policy should be changed. Especially now that Stoinia had finally found a partner they can work with. 

"I will not permit it. Adams has no jurisdiction over military affairs and cannot end our cooperation."

"But Sir, we have civilian co-operations now. Regardless, Adams will do whatever he can to end the Joint Fleet."

"Let him try..."

"But Sir..."

"No! I won't let the Stoinian people destroy what we have worked so hard to achieve with this project. I won't let them instigate another war!"

Admiral Garibaldi was stunned. The King was known for his composure, but it became clear now. The Joint Fleet was dear to his heart and his vision for the nation. Andrei retook his breath after a few heartbeats. He pondered for a moment... Yes! That's it!

"Admiral, your resignation won't be necessary."

"Sir? ... What are you planning?"

"Remember Admiral, I AM the King of Stoinia and the military is under my jurisdiction. I can institute new branches to my own liking. The Joint Exploratory Fleet will now be part of the Stoinian Exploration Corps with salaries for civilians will now fall under military civilian service*."

From here on forward, I shall no longer let politics decide the fate of our realm. As King Andrei the Just once did, I shall make my own hands dirty!

*The civilian branch of the Joint Exploratory Fleet was under control of the government who decide how much they are paid. Military civilian service is a job to support the Armed Forces on non-combative matters. This is usually given to clergy who work for the Office of Public Affairs and is entirely paid for by the military's treasury. Hence the Joint Fleet will now be under complete military jurisdiction.
Pacifica: MyriaSallodesia, Stoinia • A1-0: Stoinian Star Kingdom • Aurora: Kingdom of Threnebor

Sinaia Royal Palace,
Stoinia,
Stoinian Star Kingdom,
23/06/1620 PD, two days after the inauguration of Chancellor Adams

Ryan Adams was accustoming to his new position as Chancellor. The transition had been somewhat smooth. Chancellor Sheridan had congratulated the young Adams for the close victory, however there still was political backlash. The Assemblies were still with the opposition and the King had already blocked his first promise. The Joint Exploration Fleet would continue as a full military unit. Recently it began to shift to open up for civilians in both nations. Ryan wanted to end this agreement along many others, but the King knew his powers all too well. He had manoeuvred carefully. Repeating such political actions would eventually backlash for the King. The Democratic Freedom Party was already going after the heads of the centrists and the Crown's Guard. A Stoinian monarch has actively engaged in internal politics for the first time since the Velutarian War. Ryan feared that this would only be the beginning. 

Ryan had filled his Cabinet with his loyalist from the Traditional Party for Colonial Empowerment. Sure he received backlash as well, but soon the Stoinians would reclaim their old ways. Adam Dewberry, his Minister of Colonial Affairs sat across his desk. The Office was in the classical style of old Terra. A fireplace was located across his desk and made crackling sounds as background noise to their conversation.

"Chancellor, this... Thousand World Plan from the previous administrations. It has some merit to it. It will bolster our economy by opening new markets. Surely you must s-"

Ryan gave him a devious glare. He stood up and turned around looking through the window over Sinaia.

"Come here and admire the view for a moment."

Adam was confused, but complied with Ryan. Just what does the lad want now? 

"Take a deep breath. Look carefully... Tell me, what do you see?"

"I see Sinaia, our capital."

Ryan let out a sigh. He was starting to get frustrated and had hoped his friend would have already seen where he was going. Does no one see what I'm trying to do? To reclaim our ancestral call...

"As the Sinaians would say: 'You're listening to the song, not the music.' Think Adam... The entire context behind it."

"You mean how we rose to become what we are from ashes?"

Ryan smiled. Finally... Someone is beginning to see.

"Yes, my friend. Our ancestors fought to defend this. THIS!"

Ryan then turned away from the window. Adam looked at him as Ryan walked through the room towards the fireplace. From his style of walking it became clear that Ryan was warming himself for one of his speeches. Adam could however appreciate the young man's skill at it. Maybe that's what Stoinia needs. Someone to light the fire again! That which no old man can or will do...

"We rose from the ashes again. We were made in that fire! We always expanded be taking what is rightfully ours and obliterating anyone who stood in our path! Claiming space from these barbarians and bring order to the Sector! We faced numerous trials... Famine, death, sickness... The Velutarian War left us beaten, but never were we broken! That spirit still lives on in the Tozorian Corridor. We faced the brunt of the Velutarians and yet here we still stand! Why? Because those before us showed the universe what Terran blood truly means. We have forgotten what our manifest destiny is and I shall bring our people whole again to grab that destiny once more. I shall be the torchbearer that will light the Stoinian Flame once more and if the King won't cooperate, we'll make him!" 

Ryan paused for a few moments. He continued after picking up the fireplace stick and pointing it at Adam.
 "We don't need to focus on expanding inwards. Traian the Great pushed further after the Marcavanni to ensure living space for Stoinia. We must do so again and abandon what these cowards had planned. Limiting ourselves to our current borders will eventually make us like the Ryccies and that is a fate worse than death. To defy what you were meant to do. No, that I cannot allow. Only through conflict will Stoinia grow stronger. THAT is what we must do. Not cower away, but embrace the conflict that shaped us again! This Sector will hear the Stoinian Lion roar once more. A roar that won't have an ounce of fear or hesitation in it. A roar that will last forever. Henceforth we shall become not only the Stoinian Lion, but the Lion of Ayo as well!"

Adam was stunned at Ryan's speech. How had he lost the fire in his heart that this lad had in him? Yes... We shall reclaim our destiny! I shall follow to torchbearer!
Pacifica: MyriaSallodesia, Stoinia • A1-0: Stoinian Star Kingdom • Aurora: Kingdom of Threnebor

Sinaia Royal Palace,
Stoinia,
Stoinian Star Kingdom,
24/06/1620 PD

King Andrei III sat in the his office in the Sinaian Royal Palace. The large palace was build in the classical architecture of Terra. Pillars and columns formed the basic structures throughout the entire building. It was filled with traditional Sinaian memorabilia and portraits of the Kings and Queens that once called this palace home. King Andrei was fond of the palace and that's why he decided to let his meeting with the Ryccian Ambassador take place in it. The Ryccian Ambassador had requested an audience with the monarch regarding the political turmoil and what it would mean for future cooperation. After all, the King was largely responsible for Stoinian foreign policy due to his important and active role in the military. His aide from the Royal Guard, Lieutenant Ajab Bhasin, a young officer of Sikhian origin entered the room. The small man seemed a bit taller thanks to his turban. The man also wore a large and impressive beard for his age, but had a soft voice. "Your Majesty, The Ryccian Ambassador has arrived." King Andrei took his last puff from his cigar and put it out. He was convinced the Ambassador would look disgusted at his practice, but this was his palace after all. He stood up and awaited for the Ryccian to enter his office as the fireplace crackled.

The Ryccian ambassador, Palatina Koxrayin, was an odd figure to send to Stoinia. Although she was human, she was raised by an upper-class Vurbentan family. Her parents were originally employees at a gas refinery in a planet that was overwhelmingly Vurbentan, but they died when she was only three months old. Their boss, who was the wealthy owner of the facility, adopted her instead of leaving her at an orphanage after finding out that her extended family wanted nothing to do with her. As such, she was raised with an alien culture, and her native language was Vurbentan, not English or any other human language. To her, her family and her people were not human, but alien. To the Stoinians, her existence must be the ultimate heresy, an atrocity so grand that they would be horrified by it. But she was chosen precisely due to her origins: it was a compromise. Sure, they would send a human as the Stoinians wished, but her background meant that she was, symbolically, representative of the aliens of the Empire as well. She arrived at the palace. The whole of Sinaia was ancient and reminiscent of the Core according to her standards. Even the embassy complex she was posted in was archaic to her. But it was beautiful, so she didn't complain. There he was, the King of the Stoinians. Palatina bowed, as was custom, and was respectful to him.

"Greetings, Your Majesty", Palatina said, with a noticeable alien accent in her speech, "I am the Ambassador of the Ryccian Empire, Palatina Koxrayin. I was sent here to discuss the recent developments in your realm."

The King smiled at her gesture. "I take the recent elections have taken the Ryccian by surprise as well? Please do tell me what you wish to know."

"The people's will can surprise us in many ways, Your Majesty, including here. We respect the democratic process of your kingdom, for we value self-determination and democratic rule. As should be obvious, however, the Ryccian Empire is not pleased with the election of your new Chancellor. We fear that he could go in a mad campaign to set alight all the progress that has been recently made in the sector thus far"

"Tell me... You fear he might point arms at Daonlathas? Might I state that the Stoinian civilian government holds no say in military affairs."

"Certainly not, and we are well aware of this. However, if he is allowed to reign over your subjects without restraint, our diplomatic relations could be set back further than they previously were. Moreover, a rabblerouser like him could incite negative and dangerous sentiments in the population, thus hurting our image and economic interests here. We are not only concerned about our safety here, for worsening diplomatic relations also impact your image and interests in our country. It is, therefore, no surprise that we see an unrestricted tenure of Chancellor Ryan as a threat to our security and interests here and in our homeland. I shall get to the point, Your Majesty. The Empire sees the royal family as the only guarantor of peace, amiability and stability in this region currently. Therefore, we wish to provide you with our support to...put a halt to Chancellor Ryan's more...brazen tendencies.
You may hold all the power regarding military affairs on paper, but if public discord is high, even you could be forced to bend, or you may end up snapping like a twig by the forces of public opinion and instability.
We do not desire such a dangerous prospect as of this time, and thus we are willing to lend you our help in anything you require to hinder the dangerous attitude and rule of your Chancellor. The damage to both sides must be kept at a minimum"

Your subjects? Did he hear that right? SUBJECT!? King Andrei was lightly infuriated by the Ambassadors statement. Stoinian may have a King, but never was he seen as a superior and those beneath him as a subject. Perhaps the Ambassador's words were true, but she herself could learn to tread carefully.

"How is it that you previously accepted the democratic outcome and yet when they don't like its results? I find it quite contradictory really... Should we next time offer our protest if ultranationalists win the next Ryccian elections? I thought the Ryccians would have prepared you better for this assignment. I figured you must have known that our history isn't much of talking, but actually doing things. Alas, you'll have to learn during your assignment here. You'll become the best Ryccian Ambassador in eons if you succeed..."

He let that sink in a moment. He had ousted his frustrations for now, but the Ambassador was right.

"As for your nation's political views on the matter... You don't need to explain your worries. Our recent policies have been spearheaded by myself, but that is due to the military significance in them. Just recently have I taken steps to set foot in the political sphere again. Something that hasn't happened since the Velutarian War I might add. However, putting a sudden end to Chancellor Ryan's mandate would create more turmoil. The King is expected to be impartial and always has been. I don't agree with his stances, but they are the will of the people and I AM at THEIR service."

He let out a heavy sigh.

"I know we might seem as barbarians to you, Adams sure doesn't help dismay that view. But this process will require time and you could help in that. Remember, we faced every xeno out there in war. Our blood has been bred to be so and we can't change that overnight."

"We are not speaking of overturning the results of a legitimate, free and fair election. That is not our intention, and it shall never be so. However, acting in opposition to a government is not the same as contesting its legitimacy. We do recognize Chancellor Ryan as the legitimate civilian leader of the government, and this we shall not contest. We expect you to do the same if the ultranationalist elements of our country that you loathe are also put into power. But if anti-Stoinian ultranationalists had won our elections, we would expect you to work to undermine these threats to your interests and security. We are doing the same out of concern for the peace and goodwill between our two states.
As such, we are willing to assist you in anything you require in the political sphere"

Ah those words had struck the King. Opposing my own government... Perhaps...

"For the record and take this to your higher ups. We won't interfere to undermine any civilian government. We are a blunt people and don't operate from the shadows."

There was some hesitation in him when uttering those words. The whole annexation of Kontaurius was contradicting his every words.

"I'll take your advisement under consideration, Ambassador. Now let me explain our main problem here. Your government and I have the same wish. To modernize Stoinian beliefs. The problem is that we, Stoinians, have tradition in our bones. It's what founded and kept us alive. It's our essence to protect these traditions. I know we need to step away from the old ways, but it should be a moderate change. Too much progress too soon and Stoinia's foundations will be shaken. The King's role is explicitly made for that role, to help guide transitions over longer periods so you are right to come to me. Luckily my public support is higher than Adams', and trying to overrule me would prove futile for his cause. It's therefore that I have this suggestion.
Stoinians see Ryccians as a people of only talk. Your apparent isolationism hasn't helped much. Stoinians see it as their manifest destiny to rule the galaxy eventually. I disagree and see the possibility to work together. I have seen trillions of my people die because of a stupid mistake. I have learned from my father's death and I don't wish to bring our people to the same path. That is exactly what we must do! We agreed on business having royalties and exclusivity on their technology when importing to another's nation. Stoinians have done so and tried to expand to your Empire. Ryccians however... Haven't done so much on that front. Bringing harmless Ryccian technology to xenophobe strongholds will show that the Ryccians do want indeed to cooperate. Like I said, just talking won't resolve our problem. Direct action is required and we must do so before Ryan Adams overrules it. As these Ryccian companies bring technology and give the Stoinian economy a boost, Adams will be forced to bend. He's too focused on the internal market right now. Would the Ryccian government be able to subsidize such ventures for Ryccian companies?"

Sharing technology with these xenophobes? Hmm...that would pose a security threat, something the government and the military were paranoid about. Especially the military command, for they continue to lobby for restrictions in technology sharing with the Stoinians. They saw the Stoinians not as an opportunity, but as a threat like the rest of the sector. For them, the election of Chancellor Ryan only reinforced their beliefs that the Stoinians were a potential danger. She knew of the military pressuring the government to spend more on the armed forces and to hold a parade to intimidate any hostile powers in the sector. However, the King does make sense, and the finance ministers would love the idea. The Finance Ministry was already engaged in a campaign to convince both the military and major companies to invest in Stoinia and viceversa. The military and some government ministers were doing the opposite, lobbying the private sector to refrain from expanding into Stoinia due to security concerns. This meeting could help dampen the military's efforts to stop that.

"As a mere ambassador, I cannot set government policy, and thus I cannot commit to that as of this time. However, I have been tasked with reporting the results of this meeting to a number of government ministers, our Chancellor included. Personally, I believe it makes sense, and I shall attempt to convince my higherups of this idea"

"Call it Awakening the Giant. Too long have you stayed in isolation. So long that you forgot what it's like to spread your culture and ideas to the sector and the galaxy. For if the Ryccian Empire would fall... Who would sing your songs? Preach to morals and ideas of Empress Alice? Show this Sector that the Giant will no longer slumber and be part of a new community. A community of multiple star nations with fundamental different ideas. Isn't that what made the Ryccian Empire as strong as it is today? Apply it to others as well. That's how you bring change! Tell that to your government. If they proceed with my plan, I'll oppose any opposition the current civilian government will show. Do tell them to be quick. For if the results come too slow, I fear it might be too late."

"You have given me your word, Your Majesty. Let us hope your plan succeeds. I shall take my leave now", she said as she bowed.

"Before you leave..."

He looked deep into the Ryccian Ambassador's eyes as he spoke his next words. He wished to make something very clear to Ambassador.

"Take this for what you will, but let me give you a word of advice. Don't refer to the Stoinian people as my subjects. It's an affront to call us that. Every Stoinian has their own free will not bound to mine. Doing so in public or during your Ambassadorial duties will prove futile. Some factions might even consider you a... What was it you called? Ah... A rabblerouser. High Legate Sinclair is doing an exemplary job on Daonlathas. I expect the same from you and I think you are fit for the job. However, if I hear of such a mistake from you again, I will personally arrange that a Tozorian Veteran will become your political advisor on Stoinian Affairs. Dismissed, Ambassador Koxrayin."

"Thank you for the advice, Your Majesty. I shall take that into account"

The King let her go. The meeting had proven productive and it further cemented what he had been doing... Entering the political sphere.

*OOC Note: Credits to Ryccia for RP'ing the Ryccian Ambassador. Original conversation is posted in the A1-0 IC Discord channel.

Stoinian Congress, Chamber of the Planetary Assembly,
Stoinia,
Stoinian Star Kingdom,
11/07/1620 PD

Chancellor Ryan Adams took the speakers position. He was to address the star nation concerning his new plans and vision. However, timing was key and most speculated on what the Chancellor would reveal. It was no coincidence that the Great hunt would begin in the next week. For Ryan Adams was adamant in his foreign policy. Threatening the existence of the Joint Fleet with the Treecuu. This time, the King would have to respect his decisions. He began his speech as large banners with the Stoinian Lion slightly wavered behind his back. Adams was a man of many symbolisms and would show it as this Congressional session would be televised.

"My Stoinian brethren... I'm glad too see you all here in this chamber. A chamber which has stood long before even my homeworld Tozoria was colonized. I hope that even after its 350 T-years of duty to our people, it will do so again for another 1.000 T-years more. Many say I'm a man of history, looking back at the Golden Age of our great King Traian. But do not mistake it fantasy. If we look back in our history, time and again our ancestors have proven the impossible. From Colonel Koeremoer's war efforts against the Mardakii, to MacArthur's reign. Feats that many outsiders would see as impossible. The famous Sayed's Charge or the deeds of the legendary High Admiral Cole. Terran tenacity and perseverance have always been part of nation and those who challenged it, are dead or live in fear. From the reservations here on Stoinia to the moon of Alqamar, our enemies live under constant fear for their ancestors crimes... But also as a memory for us."

Adams took the table firmly with his left hand while he made a fist with his right, putting it in front of him.

"That we are destined to rule this Sector and quash any barbarians in our way."

The Traditional Party stood up in mass to cheer on their Chancellor. Other parties remained more reserved.

"Now that the Joint Fleet has explored space to the north of the Treecu Star Empire and anarchists. A few things have become clear. Sector A1-0 has yet lawless areas... Nomads and other tribes form the main scum and villainy of the Sector. We are the Guardians of Order in this Sector and have a duty to our birth right. Now that hostile elements have been identified in these territories, we Stoinians have a duty. To bring order to these new planets. Not just any order, but that of the Stoinian Lion. Soon to be Lion of Ayo!"

Again a wave of applause echoed through the chamber. It was as if Adams was giving children candy and his party supported him unconditionally.

"Too long have we lingered in our borders. Too long have we forgotten our duty. Too long hasn't there been a call to arms when there should have been. Times now will change. This entire Sector will hear our roar like never before. Not in a manner of cooperation, but in a manner of a conquering ruler. The Stoinian military will assist the Joint Fleet in its effort to create buffer strongholds to establish order in these lawless parts. No longer will we stay within our own borders and protect them, but actively expand them. Like the crusaders before us, we shall fight against the forces of evil. Through these new territories, we'll reinforce both our military and economic power. Bringing new materials to our nation. To that end, my administration will also provide subsidies for outwards colonization. Both citizens and companies will be able to claim territory for our Star Kingdom. With tax cuts for those who so eagerly revitalize our ancient pioneer spirit. Once again, we shall tame to stars and planets to our will!"

This form of economic boon suited well with other parties. The Libertarian Trade league, Liberal Party and Democratic Freedom Party endorsed this statement. With a thunderous applause, Adams continued to reveal his plans of economic reform through active expansion. "Manifesting Destiny" he proclaimed and many Stoinians saw this as a new opportunity for both themselves and the star nation. 

Chancellor's House,
Stoinia,
Stoinian Star Kingdom,
16/07/1620 PD

Adams was asleep when he heard the door opened. Who could it be at this late hour? Why couldn't this wait until the morning? He left his bed and looked at the person. It was a Royal Guardsman.

"Sir, we have an emergency."

"Well... What is it?"

"It's best if you come with me, Sir."

"All right, just let me freshen up quickly. I'll be there in a minute."

Adams' experience has taught him how to quickly make himself presentable and wore a tuxedo. He was escorted by the Guardsman to the Royal Palace. It was quite odd. What could the King want this late hour? However, it all became clear when the King let him enter a meeting room. There he stood looking outside over Sinaia from the window. Adams looked at the King. It was as if a cloud of sorrow floated above him.

"You requested my presence, Sire?"

Without a sigh or doubt, King Andrei turned sternly towards the Chancellor. By the looks alone, Adams figured this was something terrible.

"I'm unsure if you are up to date with what happens in the Cornucopia System."

"I'm not quite sure I follow you Sire."

"A week ago, a scientific ship discovered a stable wormhole near one of the system's planets. A military detachment, lead by Grand Admiral Corvousier, was sent to explore to other end for any civilizations. They encountered a hostile civilization known as the Venterran Federation."

"Venterran... Are they Terrans?!"

"It would appear so, Chancellor. They left us no room for diplomacy and we expect the Venterrans to attack the coming days. It seems for the first time in history that..."

The King almost couldn't say it. The thought was so shocking to any Stoinian, but Adams knew what would come and prayed he was wrong.

"We are... At war with Terran brethren."

"No..."

Adams grew pallid. A million thoughts crossed his minds. What? When? How? NO! My plans... My vision! He took a step closer to the King. 

"Sire... We must initiate talks of peace... Surely they must understand us!"

"These Venterrans don't bother with answering questions. Every message falls on deaf ears. It seems they only speak the way of the sword."

"But Cornucopia... Will we be able to hold them off?"

"We're amassing a defence fleet and mobilizing every vessel we have within 50 LY. It is yet a waiting game and evacuations have already begun. I saw no other alternative... The Royal War Council has voted for War as have I. Conscriptions on Cornucopia have already begun."

Adams was furious... The entire democratic process and precedent had been ignored. Usually Congress decided first and then the other two parties. The King had boycotted this declaration of war and he would have to accept it. Handing over the power he had to the military was imminent now. Everything was but a mere formality now. He so preached for a return to the old ways that the universe had listened to him and threw at him the worst possible nightmare. 

"Sire... I... I..."

"Save it. I know this will get political backlash, but Stoinians have already died. The hour is late and war is imminent. I will not allow another O'Connell government to put our nation at risk. I expect you to support the War Council's decision in office."

The two had a history of an uncooperative relationship and Adams couldn't help but feel it as a personal attack.

"Is this your way to force me out of my position? To dishonour my name and ideas? To kill me politically?!"

"Shut it!"

The King looked with a disgusted look at Adams. He showed no anger, but his eyes told it all. Adams looks shocked at him and the King spoke as he moved closer to Adams.

"You think I take pleasure in making these decisions? I have seen my people die for my entire youth. I did all I could to prevent this from happening. To protect my people from another dreadful war where countless families simply cease to exist. I know what is to come, but do you? Thinking here about your own political career before even considering the gravity of the situation. You ARE the Chancellor of the Stoinian Star Kingdom for God's sake. Start acting like one!"

Adams was astonished. The King was so full of passion when he spoke. Anger. No. Fury flared in his eyes. Something he never thought the King capable of. When the King told him to act like a Chancellor, Adams froze for a few seconds. 

"Sire... I'm so-"

"You at least had choices throughout your whole life. I never did. Not even know do I have a choice. Another species wishes war against our people and they won't simply stop. You so passionately cry out for us to return to the old ways of the Kingdom. Well now the Lion has been poked and we have no choice but to roar. Even now you still have the choice whether to help me prepare our nation for war or make a scandal out of it. I expect you... That despite our differences, we can both act in the interest for our national spirit. For I fear it will be already broken by seeing a Terran against a Terran."

Adams has underestimated the King. Even though he disagreed, he knew not to challenge the King now. It was too late, his dreams and vision for the nation just vanished like thin air. All because the universe decided otherwise.

"Will you aid me this one time, Ryan?"

The King spoke his first name. Adams just so realized that their relation was only formal. He looked at the King again and saw something else. A wounded man with no choice in him.

"Yes... Sire... I will. For the Lion of Ayo."

The two shared a firm handshake and left the room. Neither of them would receive any sleep that night. For both of them couldn't process what was yet to come.