We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

(IC) The Vakshi and the Sanctuary Chasms

1000s of generations ago, we - the Vakshi - and the Sea Elves fought against the treacherous humans. Together, we won, and freed our island from the invading humans. All thanks to our strong Lashma armour. However, over time, the La-

Cai hated history class. Since they had never ventured out of the caves for so long there was hardly any history so they always learnt the same old story. Cai dreamed of becoming a warrior and taking back the island from the Humans, but no one was allowed to use the Lashma Armour after it forced them to lose the war, and the Sea Elves were all forced into slavery. Well, not all Sea Elves, but all the Sea Elves who moved to the island seeking peace. The rest were out raiding the lands of Aurora.

Suddenly, another Vakshi rushed into the School chambers and cried, “they’re here, they’re here!”

Cai looked up. The teacher asked, “who’s here?”

The Vakshi stared the teacher in the eyes, and then spoke.

“Man. Man is here.”
[-] The following 2 users Like Proctethia's post:
  • GI-Land, Maverick

Ever since he was a young boy, Vobar Artregoni had always wanted to go to the Sanctuary Chasms. He wanted learn more about the crystal-like Vakshi who inhabited the caves. But his mother always told him, “No, the Sanctuary Chasms are filled with the scum Vakshi who we banished there after the great war. It is far too dangerous.”

But now that Vobar was a grown adult, his mother could no longer stop him from doing what he wanted. He, and a group of friends, set off to the Sanctuary Chasms.

On their long journey of walking - in which many deserted - they found a wild pegasus. It was one of the few Pegasi that weren’t tamed and made so fat they can’t fly. Vobar’s friend, Begolda, tried to hop onto it, but it flew away.

After 6 days of walking, they finally reached the Sanctuary Chasms. At first it seemed like a regular abandoned cave. They almost gave up and turned back - but then they saw it - the beautiful Vakshi crystals. “I shall name this crystal... Artregonite!” Vobar called “after me, of course. Now let’s gather some of this stuff.”

[Image: artworks-000289311893-no2t6g-t500x500.jpg]

Hiding away, was a Vakshi. When this Vakshi realised that these people were humans, she panicked and fled to tell the other Vakshi that humans are here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proctethia's post:
  • Qwert

”Run! Run!” they shrieked, “run for your lives! For a hunter is coming!”

The Hunters were mindless servant of the Pegasus Order (the Religious Entity of Prytho). They were stolen away as young children and the priests of the Pegasus Order took away their minds.

The Hunters did the dirty work of the Pegasus Order - murdering sinners, kidnapping children and do much more - but today, this one was ordered to capture some Worpletingers.

”Baba!” a young Worpletinger cried out, “what are you doing?!”

“Protecting all of you,” the old Worpletinger responded, “now run!”

[Image: image0.jpg]

The old Worpletinger turned round to face the Hunter. The Worpletingers were powerful creatures, but nothing could beat a hunter.

[Image: image0.webp]

“Shut up!” the human overseer shouted, “if you keep on singing, you will not get your work done. If you do not get your work done, you get punished. Understood?!”

They once spoke separate languages but after centuries of being forced to work together, the languages - of the Sea Elves, who came here looking for peace; the octopus-like Lamagi; the Aarakocra, whose wings were cut off at birth to prevent them escaping; and the Dwarves, who were native to these mountains - became one.

They spend their whole life mining in these mountains for ores and metals for the humans, but they sing songs - together - to remember life before they were enslaved in the war, and about the freedom that they once had and hope they will have again one day.
  • GI-Land

Kaka was sad. Over the years she’d lost so many loved ones to the hunters, but she loved nobody more than Baba. But now Baba was gone too. Kaka remembered the stories Baba would used to tell about the Ancient Kingdom, and the Temple of Spirits; and how she used to laugh about how unrealistic Baba’s stories were, but Baba would try and prove they were true. Now Kaka wished she could live in these imaginary worlds with Baba and all the other Wolpertingers in their clan.

——————————————

Baba woke up. He knew where he was. The Temple of Spirits as it was once known before the humans came - know known as the Temple of Pegasi. He recognised these dungeons he was trapped in as what once was the Wolpertingers town beneath the temple. He remembered walking through these dirty corridors centuries ago when he was young. He remembered them being beautiful luscious streets in the underground village and walking through them with his Baba daily to go to the market stalls.

One day, Roro - the village Seer - came rushing through town to speak with Yuyu - the Empress of Wolpertingers. Roro told Yuyu of the wars happening below. Between the Vakshi and Sea Elves versus the invading humans. Yuyu warned the other civilisations of Prytho of these battles and, the Wolpertingers prepared for human invasion.

The Vakshi, Dwarves, Wolpertingers, Aarakocra and Lamagi had all co-existed upon the island for generations - and when the Sea Elves arrived they joined this peace. However, the humans did not. The humans sought war and power, and they obtained it. After defeating the others, they marched there way to the Temple of Spirits. The Wolpertingers prepared for battle, but they were no match to humans.

The Wolpertingers fled. While some flew to far off to far away lands. Others, such as Baba, were not blessed with the ability of flight, andso had to lurk among the forests and fields of Prytho. Were they would be hunted for millenia. And now Baba had finally been caught.

Through the fierce forests, and over the dastardly hills, there lay the village of Kaltuwa. Tuska Vartoni had returned. He was the leader of the Dwarf Kingdom. He was the descendant of the great queen Baljaska. They once lived in the Eastern Mountains, the highest part of Prytho, but they lived deep within. However, their cave kingdom that stretched across the mountain range was now home to slaves of the humans. The few remaining Dwarves fled far West and settled here in a valley between five hills, with a thick forest surrounding it. While it was the King who ruled the dwarves, it was also their job to protect them. This included gathering food.

The forest was not called the Fierce Forest without reason. It was home to a variety of creatures: ranging from rabid Wolpertingers, who’s fangs could bite through dwarven bones and skin; giant snails, whose sludgy trails could trap anyone; the Ushi-Oni, spiders with the heads of bulls; and countless other dangerous creatures. But no more is more dangerous than the Najaspelu. Rumour has it that it lives deep within the forest, and if you are too loud or touch it, it will awaken. As long as you escape the forest, you will be safe from it - but how do you protect yourself if it controls the forest?

“Katrimon!” Tuska called out, “gather the peoples for tonight, we feast on the blood of a Wolpertinger!” The Dwarves who where there cheered. A Wolpertinger was not easy to defeat, due to its harsh fangs, and pointy antlers, and while the ones in Prytho cannot fly, they can use their wings to pounce onto their target and tickle them before biting through their skin. And this was no youngling either. While it may be stronger, there is more to share around if you win.

While Tuska was happy eating the delicious feast, the biggest they’d had in weeks - he could not shake off the thought of all the enslaved Dwarves in the Eastern Mountains. But he knew the Dwarves could not beat them with such limited gear that they have. When the feast was over, Tuska stood on his stall.

“My fellow Dwarven people,” Tuska began, “it brings me great sadness, but I must leave on a long expedition to find us strength and allies to take back our home and people. During my absence, Katrimon - my daughter - will take my place as leader. I have trained her well.”

“Nay!” Katrimon shouted, standing up on her stall, “I shall come with you!”

Ghae stood up on his stall too, “as shall I!”

“And me!” smiled Dwoga.

“Aye, we shall all go!” cheered the Dwarves.

“You realise how dangerous this would be?” Tuska asked.

“Aye,” Katrimon said, “but what is a dwarf without adventure and danger!”

Tuska smiled, “bring out the Mammoth!”

Back in the Eastern Mountains they had thousands of Mammoths, but over the centuries here in Kaltuwa, they had all died out, except for one. It was quite a small one, for a Mammoth, but it was strong and obedient, and could drag all the Dwarves weights at once - which is quite the feat.

As they got ready to go, Tuska suddenly frowned. With this many Dwarves, how short would it be until they awakened Najaspelu?

Dressed in bright pink armour was Vobar Artregoni and his friends as they smugly strolled down the streets of Thragon, with their Pegasus dragging along a cart filled with Artregonite behind them. People looked in awe at these beautiful pink crystals and their shining armour. But while some wished they could have it, others decided they should have it.

Vobar noticed out of the corner of his eye, someone trying to steal some Artregonite. He turned around and pulled out his dagger. However, the person was a Sorcerer, and she cast a spell on him. But yet it did nothing. Confused, she tried again. Other sorcerers tried too but they had no luck. It was at this moment that Vobar realised that the armour was magic proof, and he knew exactly where to go. The Palace of the Grand Duchess.

Meanwhile…

The Vakshi were shocked. These humans came into their caves, but they left without hurting a single soul. They slowly crept back out among the caves.

Cai was about to wander off, but she felt a hand on her shoulder. It was the teacher. “Hang on, Cai” they said, “we still have to finish a history lesso-“

“L-look!” a Vakshi panicked, as they froze in fear. The other Vakshi gathered to see what they were talking about, and then it struck them. A great burning fear of what was to come. The humans had taken the crystals.

While Winter was uncommon in Prytho, when it did come, it came hard. Winters would last long - ranging from a few months to a few years. The last Winter had taken place over fifty years ago - but began eighty years before the present. It was a long cruel Winter. There were thick layers of snow, on some accounts being nearly as high as an orc. While many died of frostbite, countless more died of dehydration due to the freezing of the lakes. But nowhere were the conditions worse than the Eastern Mountains , where the slaves of the humans mined away, searching for metals and ores, yet they hardly found much, as most had been mined by the Dwarves when they ruled these mountains and stored away in the vaults which had long been emptied.

A messenger arrived in the Eastern Mountains, on a gold plated pegasus carriage with the crest of the Grand Duchess’s family. But the Grand Duchess was not here. It was merely a messenger of hers. The messenger spoke with the chief overseer, who then rung the great bell. The overseers collected and tied together their slaves and brought them to the great bell.

“We have received a message from the Grand Duchess. This mining operation is no longer profitable. We shall now be moving to the Sanctuary Chasms to mine… for Artregonite!” yelled the Chief Overseer, with no knowledge of what an Artregonite was, and nor did the rest of the mines. But they set off on there way to the chasms. Just as the first snowflake of Winter appeared in the sky.
  • GI-Land

"WE HUMANS ARE PROHIBITED FROM ENTERING THE SANCTUARY CHASMS!" yelled the Grand Duchess of Prytho, "YOU, VERNER ARTR-"

"Erm, it's actually Vobar Artregon..." mumbled Artregoni.

"YOU DARE INTERRUPT HER MAJASTY THE GRAND DUCHESS!" a royal guard shrieked.

"Listen here, I don't give a slime about your sliming name!" the Grand Duchess yelled, "you have committed treason against the five duchies of Prytho, and as such are to be faced with execution!"

"Could you please let me sliming finish, what I was saying before you bloody execute me?" growled Artregoni.

"YOU DARE USE THAT LANGUAGE WHEN SPEAKING TO HER MAJESTY THE GRAND DUCHESS!" a royal guard shrieked.

"She used it first!" Artregoni muttered under his breath, "erm, please could you be as kind as to allow me to at least validate my, uh... treason?"

"You may," she responded coldy.

"Thank you, your majesty," he replied, performing a curtesy, "when me and my friends were dragging a cart full of Artregonite - the beautiful pink crystals named after me - and equipped in this armor of it too, we were attacked by some devilish sorcerers. It was at this point that we found out it had a magical property!"

"Oh?" the Grand Duchess inquited curiously.

"The slimy scoundrels attempted to cast hexes upon us, but this armor, this crystal... it's magic proof!"

"I've read myths and fairy tales of the Vakshi using magical L-Lashma? armor during the Great War - I didn't think it was true!" the Duke of Numihatka, dressed in his Numihatka yellow and Pryhto blue and pink Ducal robes.

"I think Artregonite has a better ring to it," spoke the Duchess of Numihlub.

"Agreed," the Grand Duchess pondered, "I will take your supply of Artregonite, on the condition that you and your friends' lives will be spared for your treason."

"I guess that's fair..." he murmured.

After the imbecile that was Vobar Artregoni had left, the Grand Duchess gave a message for one of her messengers to send, "Tell the Chief Overseer of the Dwarven mines that their mining operation is no longer profitable. They shall be moved to the Sanctuary Chasms to mine for Artregonite."

The Duke of Nahantu piped up, "but wouldn't we be committing treason ourselves, then?"

"No," the Grand Duchess said coldly, "the treaty has already been broken. The Vakshi can now leave their caves, the slaves are no longer supposed to be enslaved. We best be ready for war, before the others realize what's going on."