We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Abolish the Ministry of Media

VOTE FOR BELSCHAFT AND
[Image: aIO137E.png]

Hello again everyone.

Four months ago I came to the Assembly in all my curmudgeonly glory and put forward a simple proposition; that the Ministry of Media is an unnecessary, bureaucratic and meddlesome carbuncle stuck onto our region and it should be abolished.

A quarter of the Assembly agreed with me.

Four months on, fundamentally nothing has changed. The Southern Journal has produced some decent articles (and some less than decent ones) and a variety of polls of dubious quality have been conducted. Broadly speaking the Ministry of Media has been rather inactive.

[Image: QIcpJZR.png]

The incumbent Minister will surely claim it has been a great success as they run for some other, grander office with a suitably burnished CV... but does anyone really believe that?

Can anyone here tell me what the Ministry of Media has succeeded at? What has it done that we are proud of as a region?

At the end of the day, there is one simple question to ask - what does the Ministry do that individual players & private media can't? What value does it add to the region? If we didn't have one would we see the need to create it? The other Ministries all have clear and necessary purposes, yet the Ministry of Media doesn't. It is superfluous to regional needs, just another part of our sprawling bureaucracy. 

The Ministry should be abolished.

If elected Minister I will abolish it.

Conflict of Interests: I have one nation - Belschaft - and am in no other region. I am an Associate Justice of the High Court and a Senior Moderator.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

While the MoM has definitely been more active than the MoC or MoE (for MoE it's not USoVietnam's fault, people just didn't volunteer to do much), I don't think it's released many articles or at least nobody tells me about them. It seems that a lot of creative power from the people inside of the MoM is being wasted because the minister isn't allocating it correctly.

While I do believe now that abolishing the MoM is an unnecessary extreme, it does need some major reformations.
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

[Image: yVO1LNm.png]

JUNE 2021 CABINET ELECTION

03 June 2021

Dear Candidate,

This is a notice to remind that, as per Article 4 of the Elections Act, there is a separate period for campaigning that is due to begin after 3 days of declarations of candidacies have passed. The relevant text of the Elections Act is presented as follows:

Given the importance of ensuring that as many candidates as possible have a fair and equal opportunity to make their cases before the electorate, I would respectfully ask you to limit the scope of your campaigning until the formal campaigning period begins on the following date:

Campaigning shall begin on June 5th at 12 AM (UTC) and conclude on June 12th at 12 AM (UTC) (click for countdown).

Please consider time zone differences when reviewing the dates and times for the beginning and ending of campaigning. It is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with all legal requirements within the mandated time frames (click for time zone conversion).

Thank you for your consideration towards your fellow candidates, and good luck with your campaign!

Faithfully yours,

The Election Commissioner

[Image: JRHPqCU.png]
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Stan Melix

Why are the subforums even open if you don't want people posting in them?
Benevolent Thomas-Today at 11:15 AM
"I'm not sure if Altmoras has ever been wrong about anything."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Altmoras's post:
  • Stan Melix

(06-04-2021, 01:13 AM)Altmoras Wrote: Why are the subforums even open if you don't want people posting in them?

It's easier that way? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes im_a_waffle1's post:
  • Stan Melix

(06-03-2021, 11:14 AM)Belschaft Wrote: Four months on, fundamentally nothing has changed. The Southern Journal has produced some decent articles (and some less than decent ones) and a variety of polls of dubious quality have been conducted. Broadly speaking the Ministry of Media has been rather inactive.

[...]

The incumbent Minister will surely claim it has been a great success as they run for some other, grander office with a suitably burnished CV... but does anyone really believe that?

Can anyone here tell me what the Ministry of Media has succeeded at? What has it done that we are proud of as a region?

This all seems like your problem with Islas' performance and the ministry under them, which is valid criticism. However, I don't understand how this supports the idea that the MoM should be abolished entirely. We've literally had two terms of MoM's existence, under inactive ministers, which is certainly not enough to use as evidence for its uselessness. What happens when an active, motivated Minister steps in?

I won't bother addressing your other points, and I'm sure someone can explain it more eloquently than me. All in all, I'm opposed to your campaign.
[-] The following 2 users Like Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • anjo, Stan Melix

I do appreciate how the comic resembles my imagination of Bel in real life.
[-] The following 6 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Belschaft, HumanSanity, Jay Coop, Purple Hyacinth, Stan Melix, Volaworand

(06-04-2021, 11:11 PM)Amerion Wrote: I do appreciate how the comic resembles my imagination of Bel in real life.

Alas I am nowhere near as sexy as Camus.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Stan Melix

(06-04-2021, 09:14 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 11:14 AM)Belschaft Wrote: Four months on, fundamentally nothing has changed. The Southern Journal has produced some decent articles (and some less than decent ones) and a variety of polls of dubious quality have been conducted. Broadly speaking the Ministry of Media has been rather inactive.

[...]

The incumbent Minister will surely claim it has been a great success as they run for some other, grander office with a suitably burnished CV... but does anyone really believe that?

This all seems like your problem with Islas' performance and the ministry under them, which is valid criticism. However, I don't understand how this supports the idea that the MoM should be abolished entirely. We've literally had two terms of MoM's existence, under inactive ministers, which is certainly not enough to use as evidence for its uselessness. What happens when an active, motivated Minister steps in?

I won't bother addressing your other points, and I'm sure someone can explain it more eloquently than me. All in all, I'm opposed to your campaign.

If we have an active, motivated player with an interest in news/media then they have ample opportunities to set up their own news service - look at SPINN. There's no need for a ministry to enable this to happen.

Your criticism of the incumbent minister uses the forum as a demonstration of the department's inactivity.

Why do you believe the forum should have been used by the incumbent minister, and what volume of its target audience do you believe consumes media in this that format?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luca's post:
  • Stan Melix