We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Qaweritoyu for MoFA - What Comes Next?

What Comes Next?
1.      Introduction
In the October 2020 term in the TSP MoFA, we saw a significant decrease in activity in the Ministry. As a Secretary of State (SoS) at the time, I took the initiative of delegating the work to the Ambassadors working with me the work I thought they should have been doing. I, naturally, assumed other SoSes had taken the initiative and were well ahead of me. I quickly found out they had not.  

In February 2021, Roavin was elected the MoFA and due to his hard work he pumped some life back into the Ministry. I, personally, think there is still some distance to travel but he has done excellent work in reviving our Ministry, which leads me on to my first point.

2.      Promises
If, God forbid, Roavin and I happened to disappear tomorrow, would the MoFA continue to function without us? I don’t think so. Since Roavin took over as MoFA in February, we have seen the Ministry starting to increase in self-sufficiency. At this time, however, I am not confident that if I vanished tomorrow, Ambassadors would continue to work as if I wasn’t there. I think it will take us four more months to set up the Ministry to get to that point of self-sufficiency.

Here are some of the things I plan to carry out in the next term:

1. Planning and writing - six documents for Ambassadors to follow and for whom said documents should be a support and aid in their work.

2. Recruiting -  more Secretaries of State to help Ambassadors to work for our embassy regions and to work for the regions who, inevitably, will not manage to get their own Ambassador.

3. Confidence - to encourage Ambassadors to be confident in their work, to be aware of tensions where they exist in embassy regions, to recognise what is and is not common knowledge, to actively update the region via the relevant Discord channel and the relevant forum and to encourage Secretaries of State to become confident, budding MoFAs by way of looking over embassy regions, working with Ambassadors on Discord, the forums and keeping an eye on the NSGP forums.

4. Self-sufficiency - in the last term, I have been compiling a list of our embassy regions, their Government and/or Executive positions and when these positions are elected/appointed. This work needs to continue into the new term, it needs to be finished, to be compiled into a presentable format and for Secretaries to see and so to make managing Ambassadors quicker and easier. The primary purpose of such a project is to prepare my successors in my role to continue the work I have started when I inevitably have to give that up. A secondary purpose is to make myself and my successors’ work quicker and more effective.

5. Incorporation - The above ties into a project Roavin started. He had started running a wiki page and, I suppose, in addition to setting up the documents for enhancement of my successors’ work, some details from that might be incorporated into it. The wiki also seemed to be let down a bit in the last month, I’d like to see that brought up again and for Ambassadors to actively use it in getting to know their region.

6. Clarification - TSP is a proud defender region and will continue to be so. I realise this area is more down to the Minister of Defense than I, however, the MoFA will continue to be supportive of all defending operations and we will do whatever we can to support the MoD in their work and assist with defending operations where possible. On this point,TSP has never intentionally supported fascism. TNP’s unclarified statement caused a lot of hurt in the region in the past term, and rightly so. Our last two Cabinets have sought clarification on the issue and I will seek to conclude it. Either this conclusion will manage to find a common ground in the argument for TNP and TSP to continue to work together or it will see the termination of our work together for the foreseeable future, either way, it’s going to happen before October.

This work is not a desire, I am not proposing doing this work for myself and my own want, I think you’d have to be mad to wish to do such work. This is a matter of urgency and it really does need to continue.

3. Summary

In sum, we’re going to:

1. Plan and write for the future of TSP MoFA.
2. Recruit more Secretaries of State.
3. Encourage Ambassadors and Secretaries to be more confident in themselves and their work.
4. Make the MoFA more independent and self-sufficient in its work.
5. Incorporate the wiki project into our MoFA as a source of information for Ambassadors to use and update regularly, promoting a heightened interest in the running of their appointed regions.                    
6. Clarify our position in TSP as a defender region, as a region which has never intentionally promoted fascism and to seek a conclusion to the issue with TNP.

This is a team effort. Just think, by October, all of this work will be done!

4. Conflict of Interest
Former Prime Minister of Brightport 2015 - 2016.
Former Allied Liberator 2016 - 2017.
Former Prime Minister of the Federation of Independent Nations 2016 - 2017.
Former Intelligence Minister of Brightport 2015 - 2017.
Former King of Brightport 2017.
Former TSP Ambassador to Europeia 2018.
Former Southern Progress Party Commissary of Gameside Affairs 2017 - 2019.
Former TSP Ambassador to the Rejected Realms and the North Pacific 2019 - 2020.
Former TSP Ambassador to the East Pacific and Lazarus 2019 - 2020.
Former TSP Secretary of State to the Rejected Realms and the North Pacific 2020.
Former TSP Secretary of State to the East Pacific and Lazarus 2020 - 2021.
Former TSP Secretary of State to the West Pacific and Osiris 2020 - 2021.
Former TSP Secretary of State to the Pacific and Conch Kingdom 2021.
A former TSP Deputy Chair of the Assembly 2020 - 2021.

Current Legislator in TSP.
Current TSP Secretary of State.
Current TSP Acting Ambassador to South Pacific, Forest, the Rejected Realms, the Union of Democratic States, Europe and Europeia, the West Pacific and Conch Kingdom.

I was informed within the last term by a friend from TEP that I’d been nominated for a TEP best Ambassador award and I never heard about it again.
[-] The following 5 users Like Qaweritoyu's post:
  • anjo, Jay Coop, Stan Melix, Volaworand, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Who are our closest allies and why?

What does it mean to be a "good ally"? How will TSP be a good ally in your tenure so others return the favor?

Which alliances will you prioritize strengthening? Why? How?

What is your philosophy for working with Independent/unaligned regions?

Any new regions to consider alliances or embassies/consulates with?
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • Qaweritoyu

(06-05-2021, 11:31 AM)HumanSanity Wrote: Who are our closest allies and why?

What does it mean to be a "good ally"? How will TSP be a good ally in your tenure so others return the favor?

Which alliances will you prioritize strengthening? Why? How?

What is your philosophy for working with Independent/unaligned regions?

Any new regions to consider alliances or embassies/consulates with?

Thank you for your questions. For ease, I'll number them 1-5 starting from the top.

1. Our closest allies in TSP are our neighbours with whom we share similar ideals, namely those who promote defenderism and hold embassies with us, it can't get much closer than that.

2. I think we're in dangerous waters when we're deciding directly who is good and bad but I think it's more important to be aware of what our ideals are as a region, make it our priority to uphold and promote these ideals and to always keep our mission in mind as representatives of TSP, what are we doing? We're upholding TSP's ideals, namely in terms of policies we hold, allies with which we hold treaties and other forms of alliances, ensuring the terms of those alliances are met, that TSP can continue to work on harmony with our neighbours and to be the face of TSP.

3. Two embassies spring to mind and these are both embassies created in the last term. These are The League and Thaecia. I haven't, so far, as Secretary of State, managed to get to work with them, I am making my way through a list of our embassy regions as I type, I have four or five to get to before them, however, I hope in the coming week or two to do so. I look forward to doing this work with them and I look forward, as Minister, to working more closely with them and getting to know them better by way of talking and getting involved in their regions whichever way possible. Ambassadors and Secretaries will have more of a chance to do that than me, however, that is no excuse and I will do my best to uphold that promise.

4. I have no particular ideals for or against working with independent/unaligned regions. If they wish to open a consulate with us or vice versa, I would be more than happy to consider and process the request.

5. I have no-one in mind as of right now but that's not to say I won't consider new embassies. Also, remember, we do need to increase in Ambassadors and Secretaries before we increase in workload so maybe when we make some progress in recruiting I might start to consider new embassies.

I agree with you entirely about the need to prioritize relations with The League and Thaecia. I think there's a lot of mutual benefit to having and strengthening ties with each of those regions.

A separate question from the ones above: you say in your campaign that you want a conclusion to the issues with TNP as it relates to quorum raiding and the false accusation we have "sanctioned/aided fascism". How will you ultimately resolve the issue if there is a continual stalemate (which, imo, seems fairly likely)?
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[-] The following 2 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Qaweritoyu, Quebecshire

(06-05-2021, 01:14 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: I agree with you entirely about the need to prioritize relations with The League and Thaecia. I think there's a lot of mutual benefit to having and strengthening ties with each of those regions.

A separate question from the ones above: you say in your campaign that you want a conclusion to the issues with TNP as it relates to quorum raiding and the false accusation we have "sanctioned/aided fascism". How will you ultimately resolve the issue if there is a continual stalemate (which, imo, seems fairly likely)?

Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to say I can't go into the details of that for confidential reasons that I was involved with and I am committed to keeping that detail confidential.

I will say this, however, it is not a healthy stage for us to be at where we neither know whether we're still allied or not, and even me, as a Secretary, find it very difficult to know what the answer to that question is. My goal is to know what the answer is to that question, it will help get work resumed with TNP or else it will end our embassy with them. It is important to state I neither favour one result or the other, I am open to either but we need to know what that is, it's causing disruption not knowing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Qaweritoyu's post:
  • HumanSanity

(06-05-2021, 03:20 PM)Qaweritoyu Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 01:14 PM)HumanSanity Wrote: I agree with you entirely about the need to prioritize relations with The League and Thaecia. I think there's a lot of mutual benefit to having and strengthening ties with each of those regions.

I'm sorry to say I can't go into the details of that for confidential reasons that I was involved with and I am committed to keeping that detail confidential.

I will say this, however, it is not a healthy stage for us to be at where we neither know whether we're still allied or not, and even me, as a Secretary, find it very difficult to know what the answer to that question is. My goal is to know what the answer is to that question, it will help get work resumed with TNP or else it will end our embassy with them. It is important to state I neither favour one result or the other, I am open to either but we need to know what that is, it's causing disruption not knowing.

Thanks -- that alone clears things up without you going into further details about potentially confidential things.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • Qaweritoyu

What value do ambassadors bring to foreign affairs? How will their work translate to foreign affairs benefits for TSP, whether now or in the future?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Qaweritoyu

(06-05-2021, 07:32 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote: What value do ambassadors bring to foreign affairs? How will their work translate to foreign affairs benefits for TSP, whether now or in the future?

Thank you for your question(s).

Enthusiasm, passion, information and independence. These are all values that come to mind when I think of the values of Ambassadors. There is an enthusiasm and passion for work in FA. There is a lot of information involved in the work of an Ambassador and this goes three ways, information going out of TSP, information coming into TSP and information for their own education. Independence, which also acts as education, Ambassadors learn to participate in FA on their own initiative, which is very important for development of confidence.

The first, and probably most striking, benefit is that FA is a very busy Ministry of the region. Ambassadors ensure TSP gets represented fairly to embassies, otherwise, it would be down to the Minister and more senior positions, that's fair, in my view, but not effective. Secondly, Ambassadors, maybe not immediately, are budding Secretaries, who are budding MoFAs. I have worked as a Secretary of State with Ambassadors continuously from over a year now and I have been able to see who is ready to become a Secretary by the end of a term and I have always been able to make that recommendation to the Minister too. FA needs its Ambassadors. They are valuable and do benefit the region.

As a candidate in the MoFA election, will you commit to abstaining in the MoFA election?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Qaweritoyu

(06-06-2021, 04:23 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: As a candidate in the MoFA election, will you commit to abstaining in the MoFA election?

Of course I will, I got plenty of experience in abstaining as a Deputy Chair.