We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

TSPride Stories - Pride in Community by Anserisa

[Image: O9ieAxN.png] TSPride 2021

Pride in Community.
By Anserisa

I don’t participate in Pride activities in my hometown anymore. For many reasons, I believe that it’s way too pink washed, that it is mainly focused on the same “privileged” members of the community (white, cisgender, gay men), that it is not the revendicative even it used to be, etc. But I still believe that it is important.

I remember my first Pride. I had come out in February and it was a rough one. I had trouble with my conservative family, I lost some friends, I had this feeling that some people thought that I was joking, that it was a phase, etc. So I went to my first Pride that summer. I found a wonderful, supporting community, like one big family (or at least not like mine). Even though I already felt back then that Pride was not as diverse as I thought it should be, I was still glad that I went. I’ve discovered new friendships and a sense of solidarity that was so much welcomed.

The same can be said for the NS community. I have the feeling, that if I ever feel down, or ever feel to talk to someone, there is going to be someone, somewhere that is going to be available to have my back. That’s Pride to me, that’s what I found back then, and that’s what I like about the community.

Pride made me feel less alone. It remains an important event for the community, even if it’s diluted in some places. It is important because it can help people connect for the first time with their community. (And much more of course).

So, if you ever feel like you need support, need talking, etc. Don’t hesitate, reach out!

Happy Pride everyone!
[-] The following 7 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Illaois, Imperial Frost Federation, Jay Coop, Moon, Qwert, Roavin, Witchcraft and Sorcery