We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Nomination of Witchcraft & Sorcery as General

South Pacificans, 

For most members of the South Pacific, I expect W&S is primarily known as a friendly and energetic presence in regional community spaces such as the Discord server and RMB. However, W&S also has an extensive history of contributions to defending and has long stated that his primary role is that of a soldier.

W&S has been a defender for around 8 years, having served in a variety of organizations and operational capacities. His wealth of experience brings with it an enhanced understanding of operational details and the diverse traditions of the defender community. In recent times, W&S has brought his defender pedigree to the South Pacific Special Forces, helping clarify its defender ideals and serving as a key voice in the ever evolving discussion of South Pacifican defender traditions, including the articulation and basis of our defender principles, SPSF's approach to anti-fascism and offensive operations, and the role of the SPSF in our broader Foreign Affairs. Additionally, W&S' welcoming attitude, constructive energy, and ability to connect with defenders from a variety of backgrounds and traditions was instrumental to the growth of the SPSF during his previous term as Minister of Defense, all of which are attributes he would continue to bring to the SPSF as a General.

Since my taking over as Minister of Defense, W&S has remained active in attending game updates, encouraging the growth and training of SPSF members, and providing military leadership in his capacity as a Commander of the SPSF. His actions have gone above and beyond those of an outgoing Minister providing advice to their successor and demonstrate a long-term investment in the health and growth of the SPSF.

When thinking about the attributes I look for in a General of the SPSF -- dedication, proven operational leadership, wisdom, and active engagement -- I can think of no better candidate than Witchcraft and Sorcery. After consulting with the current General Corps, I come to the Assembly today to nominate Commander Witchcraft and Sorcery to the General Corps, pursuant to my powers under Article 1(3) of the Military Code as Minister of Defense, and ask the Chairwoman to initiate the appropriate Assembly procedure.

I stand open to the Assembly for any questions about this nomination.

HS
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 9 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Arvan Irawer, Jay Coop, Luca, Moon, Nakari, Quebecshire, Somyrion, Stan Melix, Tishers [Nyxonia]

Thank you Minister HS for this nomination - but the things you attribute to me could not have been done without all the support of the rest of the SPSF - showing up when it mattered.

I'm likewise available for questions. As I've done with past nominations I intend to abstain from debate or voting except where a question is asked of me.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 6 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Beausoleil, HumanSanity, Luca, Moon, Nakari, Tishers [Nyxonia]

Are there any potential conflicts with the Prime Minister who nominally leads the civilian government from also being a general of the SPSF?

One office leads in making peace, the other leads in war.

I am not trying to be a contrarian, just bringing up the question.

After having more time to watch how W&S manages the double duties of being Prime Minister and am officer in SPSF I am confident that they have the self discipline and personal principles to separate the two worlds. My initial trepidation was over having such a highly ranked cabinet member who could run roughshod over the MoD and to make SPSF in to a secret police.

I cannot speak with any degree of knowledge as to their effectiveness in SPSF but I am confident in their judgement as a leader in TSP.

My vote will be in favor.
Tisha
Minister of Engagement

Legislator
Coral Guard
Ambassador to South Pacific region
OWL senior staff

Tishers ?☢ [Nyxonia]

LEDA #1             June, July, August, September 2021
COB #10            April, May 2021
Wingspan #10     August, September 2021

"I am an endorsin fool"

(07-06-2021, 09:39 PM)Tisha Speaker to Seafood Wrote: Are there any potential conflicts with the Prime Minister who nominally leads the civilian government from also being a general of the SPSF?

One office leads in making peace, the other leads in war.

I am not trying to be a contrarian, just bringing up the question.

Great question! I'll go ahead and answer - W&S can add to it if he would like

I do not see many scenarios where this would present a conflict of interest because the SPSF as a military exercises the foreign policy prerogatives of the Coalition as defined by the Charter and as discussed in conjunction with the Minister of Foreign Affairs. The General Corps is largely responsible for maintenance, giving of battlefield orders, and personnel decisions - moreover, the day-to-day maintenance of the SPSF. One can have a role in the maintenance of the SPSF and giving the SPSF orders (as one of its Generals) while also having a role in crafting the foreign affairs of the Coalition (as Prime Minister or, relatedly, as Minister of Foreign Affairs) without these positions conflicting. I also don't agree with your characterization that the SPSF is inherently an instrument of war - it rarely functions as such (as TSP is not currently in a declared war) and often serves as an instrument to support our alliances (for example, by supporting their Delegate transitions) rather than create conflict.

More broadly, I also believe there is ample precedent for individuals serving both as a General and as Prime Minister given both of the current members of the General Corps have done so. General Roavin was confirmed in July 2017 and since then served multiple terms as Prime Minister. General Nakari was confirmed in July 2019 and since served a partial term as Prime Minister. If there were concern about potential conflicts between the positions, Generals Nakari or Roavin could have been dismissed by the other members of the General Corps or recalled by the Assembly upon ascension to the office of Prime Minister, but this did not occur.

A valid concern is that W&S is accumulating a lot of positions with influence and power and that too much power centralization could have negative effects, given his position as a member of the Legislator Committee and as Prime Minister. In response, I both have faith in W&S as an individual to not use his distinct authorities to harm the Coalition and have faith in the Assembly or the other members of the General Corps to curb and potentially remove him should such an effort occur. Further, the policy discretion of the General Corps as to the beliefs of the SPSF is relatively limited, as the purpose of the SPSF is defined clearly in Article X of the Charter and the General Corps largely exists as a body for operational judgement calls and internal management. Finally, I'll note that Roavin has held all of the referenced positions simultaneously in the past before as well, and that former Prime Minister Penguin held office while also a member of the Legislator Committee and the Council on Regional Security, so there is ample precedent for Prime Ministers wearing other security sensitive hats while in office without conflict.

Another concern is that W&S would be overstretched by adding the General Corps to his plate. In response, I'll note that W&S is already, in his current role as Commander, one of the SPSF's most active updaters (as evidenced by the Update Reports thread) and that he has given input already in most of the operational decisions outlined in my office updates since the beginning of my term. By and large, W&S is already handling - or rather surpassing - the expected SPSF work-effort of a General and the Assembly confirming him to the General Corps would largely confirm his status within the SPSF rather than add to his workload.
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[-] The following 2 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Belschaft, Moon

What HS said is mostly correct - a similar question was raised in the recent LegComm debate. Regarding conflicts of interest I give my fullest assurance that I recognize a clear separation of powers and that in the rare circumstance where a conflict arises, my current duties are first and foremost those of the Prime Minister. I was elected to serve as head of government and I will recuse myself from any decisions on the General Corps where interests do clash with government. Though as HS mentioned, this is highly unlikely due to the operational capacities of the SPSF.

Regarding the making peace vs war - it’s worth clarifying the SPSF is not an institution of war and I would not seek to make it as such. Rather, our prime directive is to defend the peace and protect the sovereignty of the Coalition. Beyond that we act as a defender military to protect other regions’ right to the same. We do not seek out conflict. My mission is, was, and always will be to uphold TSP’s and other regions’ right to peace, security, and self-determination.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 4 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Belschaft, HumanSanity, Moon, Tishers [Nyxonia]

Thanks W&S, I have little doubt that you will do the honorable and right thing as I have seen no indication (in my limited exposure to all of you) that indicates otherwise. 

I do suggest that it be handled on a case-by-case basis and does not become a legal precedent that can be claimed by someone in a future administration as a means of consolidating dictatorial powers that circumvent our democratic processes.
Tisha
Minister of Engagement

Legislator
Coral Guard
Ambassador to South Pacific region
OWL senior staff

Tishers ?☢ [Nyxonia]

LEDA #1             June, July, August, September 2021
COB #10            April, May 2021
Wingspan #10     August, September 2021

"I am an endorsin fool"

So, this is nothing against W&S or whether or not they are deserving of this role, but I do think it's a tad unseemly for the MoD to nominate the sitting PM as a general. I agree that there's no reason to think it would be a conflict of interest (and if W&S thinks they can handle both role, by all means), but it just feels somewhat corrupt.

That's not to say I'm against this, but would caution making such promotions the norm.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(07-07-2021, 03:12 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: So, this is nothing against W&S or whether or not they are deserving of this role, but I do think it's a tad unseemly for the MoD to nominate the sitting PM as a general. I agree that there's no reason to think it would be a conflict of interest (and if W&S thinks they can handle both role, by all means), but it just feels somewhat corrupt.

That's not to say I'm against this, but would caution making such promotions the norm.

I'm confused about the implication. Would it be a different circumstance if he had been nominated as General before running for PM? Is it inappropriate for any of our existing Generals to be Prime Minister? If both roles could or would have been held by a single person with different timing but the same power overlap, what is the actual concern being raised?

(07-07-2021, 05:41 PM)Luca Wrote:
(07-07-2021, 03:12 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: So, this is nothing against W&S or whether or not they are deserving of this role, but I do think it's a tad unseemly for the MoD to nominate the sitting PM as a general. I agree that there's no reason to think it would be a conflict of interest (and if W&S thinks they can handle both role, by all means), but it just feels somewhat corrupt.

I'm confused about the implication. Would it be a different circumstance if he had been nominated as General before running for PM? Is it inappropriate for any of our existing Generals to be Prime Minister? If both roles could or would have been held by a single person with different timing but the same power overlap, what is the actual concern being raised?

I'm saying there isn't a conflict of interest between someone being a General and being PM and the same time, so no, having someone appointed general and then elected as PM is not a problem.

But, I'm saying that having one Cabinet member appoint another (and in this case, superior) Cabinet member to an unelected and ongoing position doesn't look good — even if that person is the best for job. 

I believe we've had similar discussions with LegComm nominations, but, imo, the Cabinet and related orgs really should withhold appointing current Cabinet members to additional positions of power within the region if possible.

EDIT: Actually, address your question, Luca, the "concern" being raised that this has the potential to look like favoritism from one Cabinet minister to another rather than an earned promotion.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Rebeltopia

Err, I guess I'm a little unsure how to answer this. Phrases like "doesn't look good" and "somewhat corrupt" are both weighty and non-specific, and it feels like a lot of your criticism here is couched in how things seem rather than how things necessarily are.

So, I'll just address it by saying this: I think W&S is unambiguously qualified for the position and did not see any practical reason to delay the nomination. Of our currently active updaters, W&S is by far the most experienced and factually the highest rank, he has consistently high performances in operational situations, and is already a major contributor in the officers' and commanders' chats about military decisions. Additionally, while legally I can make this appointment unilaterally (and in fact the MoD has the sole authority to do so), I chose to consult with the current members of the General Corps first as a courtesy and was given no reason to believe W&S did not merit joining the General Corps or that his appointment may in any way disrupt SPSF activities. It is my hope that this appointment stands strongly enough on its merits to get past concerns about how the appointment may appear.
(07-07-2021, 06:31 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I believe we've had similar discussions with LegComm nominations, but, imo, the Cabinet and related orgs really should withhold appointing current Cabinet members to additional positions of power within the region if possible.
If this is your rule for appointments, I will say the appointment is non-urgent. We do have two Generals who are reachable on a daily basis and give input to leadership discussions. However, I believe having a filled General Corps would be reflective of the SPSF's current activity levels and that W&S' input would be valuable in collective decision-making, and I did not see any reason to delay on the basis of a timeframe-based formality.
Ambassador to Balder