We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] [DISCUSSION] Amendment to the World Assembly Act (Voting Position)

Legislators,

At the moment, in the absence of a recommendation by the Office of WA Legislation, the Delegate does not vote immediately but instead waits for a majority to form before casting the Delegate's considerable vote. For example, in the instance of the Security Council proposal, Liberate The Catgirl Hivemind, I waited until it was clear (97 against - 26 for) before voting against.

However, this is a serious issue because by not voting first, the Coalition is essentially surrendering it's significant power to set the narrative. In general, WA nations vote in line with where the majority is. There are exceptions, of course, but this is the prevailing pattern. As such, our vote is not necessarily being determined by TSP WA members but by other regions who have set that trend early on in the voting process.

To recalibrate this disruption to our voting influence, I propose that the Assembly pass an amendment to the World Assembly Act. Whereby the Delegate will consult Cabinet Ministers prior to a vote commencing to determine the stance of the region in the absence of a recommendation from OWL.

Amendment to the World Assembly Act Wrote:
World Assembly Act

[...]

1. Powers

[...]

(2) In the absence of a recommendation, the Delegate shall vote on proposed World Assembly resolutions according to the overall vote of all World Assembly nations in the South Pacific consult with Cabinet to determine which direction to vote in. If the direction is contrary to the vote of all World Assembly nations in the South Pacific, the Delegate may choose to change their vote in collaboration with the Cabinet.

[…]
[-] The following 6 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Belschaft, Concrete Slab, HumanSanity, Moon, Techganet

YES!!! THIS WILL GRANT MORE POWER TO THE DARTH ADMIRAL DELEGATE GENERAL TO RULE OVER US MINIONS!!!!!

In all seriousness, this seems like a good idea, especially as early stomps can have an impact on the overall vote.
Local Councilroar.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Apatosaurus's post:
  • Amerion

Just to have a clearer idea of where things stand, is the lack of a recommendation from OWL a common occurrence?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(10-01-2021, 12:56 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Just to have a clearer idea of where things stand, is the lack of a recommendation from OWL a common occurrence?
Yes.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

(10-01-2021, 12:56 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Just to have a clearer idea of where things stand, is the lack of a recommendation from OWL a common occurrence?

Ideally, it would be very rare. However, this is an outcome of the Office's activity level and a decline of this in recent times has meant that no recommendations are becoming a relatively common occurence.

The Voting Record which is kept up-to-date shows when no-recommendations have occured.

The past three WA votes are all no-recommendations and the next few will likely be as well given the lack of active votes in OWL. This amendment is, therefore, a measure aimed at such instances when we don't have the bandwidth to proactively influence the WA vote.

[Image: JBfT90N.png]
[Image: IAIlHRk.png]
[Image: yFcicVq.png]
[Image: u2wa8pz.png]
[Image: RNPgHsO.png]
[Image: n2bmdLB.png]
[Image: nHp2cPK.png]
[Image: U3XZwWM.png]
[Image: 3JYhgb9.png]
[Image: uRL2ojF.png]
[Image: IkA8on3.png]
[Image: 6yFwCAM.png]
[Image: kGkkYpg.png]
[Image: eA6aOiv.png]
[Image: uuSC0tK.png]
[Image: OQPT3x5.png]
[Image: 75NVs7b.png]
[Image: 6giNf2I.png]
[Image: HLYABjA.png]
[Image: dhtAuAT.png]
[Image: 6JK5Ss9.png]
[Image: WnVVair.png]
[Image: Sy7sXAs.png]
[Image: yia7Gkl.png]
[Image: NRZmJRf.png]
[Image: bBGigUR.png]

Given that there is no further discussion on this proposal, I motion to bring it to a vote.

Second.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

second
Tisha
Minister of Engagement

Legislator
Coral Guard
Ambassador to South Pacific region
OWL senior staff

Tishers ?☢ [Nyxonia]

LEDA #1             June, July, August, September 2021
COB #10            April, May 2021
Wingspan #10     August, September 2021

"I am an endorsin fool"

This has been brought to a vote here.
[Image: koC8Gf6.png]
[Image: Sl6mZCD.png] [Image: iEwICrf.png] [Image: IL1nUV5.png] [Image: RLU6NBO.png] [Image: MbXQuqv.png]

Agreed. We debated this a few days ago and it empowers the delegate to move a bit more quickly when there is not a recommendation from OWL.

In favor, I shall vote thusly.
Tisha
Minister of Engagement

Legislator
Coral Guard
Ambassador to South Pacific region
OWL senior staff

Tishers ?☢ [Nyxonia]

LEDA #1             June, July, August, September 2021
COB #10            April, May 2021
Wingspan #10     August, September 2021

"I am an endorsin fool"