We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Campaign With a Most Agreable Disposition

A Campaign With A Most Agreeable Disposition

Good 'Morrow! My name is Rabbitz - currently one of the Deputies of Media - and I have come to throw my bid into the Media election ring once again! Let the campaign begin!

The Southern Journal 
As per tradition, the Southern Journal will release a monthly issue with various topics in it; however, this time, I plan to include a little recap of all the key events that happened during the month both internal and external of TSP.  Furthermore, expect the possibility of either a sudoku puzzle, an NSBall comic section, or an NS-based crossword puzzle at the end for entertainment. The answers to the puzzles will be released at either the next publication or at the halfway point between publications. 

Also per tradition, TSJ will release a single article concerning a foreign or domestic development as they occur. These will not have sudoku puzzles, comic sections, or large crosswords; however, if I deem the article large enough, there might be a mini crossword at the end of it for funzies. 

In addition, I plan on reconsolidating all the subcategories of TSJ (LD, TSO) back into one standard publication. 

Organization
Deputy/Deputies: 

This person/these persons will assist me in my duties, write and edit articles, and contribute to the overall health of the Ministry. 

Writers:

They will write articles for the Ministry to be published - short and simple. 

Editors:

Unfortunately, the shortage of staff has prevented MoM from establishing an effective and consistent editorial team, which is why I propose that the Writers, for the most part, will be their own Editor, and by that I mean they will primarily use Grammarly or some other grammar-checking app to check their work. This does not mean, however, that there will no Editorial Team. If a person requests it, their article can be manually reviewed for spelling mistakes, word errors by the next available Editor, but they should always do it on their own first. 

Puzzlers

These few will have the great responsibility of creating the puzzles and/or comics for the monthly issue. The comics will be purposely made in MS Paint to give it that PolandBall feel, and the sudoku and crossword puzzles will be made in a generator.   

MoM and SPINN

I'm going to make this short and simple: SPINN is independent and MoM is the voice of TSP.
There will not be any conflict between the two, and we will work together to better each other and our goals. Period.

Statistics
There will be two polls posted every month, with one that will assess the direction of the Cabinet and the other assessing the direction of the Delegate and the LC. These stats will be posted in Discord when they have been verified by the Minister. 

Discord Bot (aka MoM Bot)

Bot:

At the present moment, my Discord Bot for MoM is under construction. My special apologies to Roavin for not getting back to him sooner, but manually going through each line of code - since by debugger wasn't and still doesn't work - in addition to other work took/takes up my time. Many errors stem from the bot being an uneven merge of two different bots: I borrowed the UI, the OAuth and Service Account code set up, and more from one, and a cool calendar-switch ability from the other - still trying to remove the post deleting feature of one of the bots. Unfortunately, since I am still having errors, the bot will be in storage until I can fix all of said errors Tounge

What will it do?

Well, it will connect to the Google Calendar API, allowing for the bot to post on the coded-in calendar when given the proper command; also, another command will also display the top 10 events that are happening on the calendar. The bot will also have a feature that will make it update the calendar every five minutes, so that the calendar will never miss an addition. It also will have a restricting feature that will restrict who can make commands to the bot. It may also have a feature that will allow it to store different calendars and recall them per command.  If I have time, you will be able to set the time zone and customize the UI. 

COI

I have nations in the following regions:
-Osiris
-Balder
-TWP
-TNP
-TEP
-TSP 
-NPO
-TRR

I have been/currently in the following positions in TSP:
-LC
-Senior Fellow of Integration
-Fellow
-Chair
-Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs
-SPSF
-Ambassador to Osiris
-Ambassador to TWP
-Chair of the Assembly
-Coral Guard
-Secretary of State
I have been/currently in the following positions outside of TSP:
-Hall of Nations (TWP)
-Members (TWP)
-Citizen (TNP)
I have the following nations:
-Rabbitz
-Hares
-Bunniez
-Rabbitz Anti-Crab 1
-Rabbitz Anti-Crab 2
-Rabbitz Anti-Crab 3
-Rabbitz II
-Rabbitz III
-Rabbitz IV
-Rabbitz V
-Rabbitz VI
-Rabbitz VII
-Rabbitz VIII
-Rabbitz IX
-Rabbitz X
-Rabbitz XI
Local Councillor (3/15/20 - 6/23/20)
Deputy Minister of Educational Affairs (2/19/20 - 4/9/20)
Senior Fellow of Integration (12/20/20 - 2/19/20)
Fellow (1/12/19 - ~10/14/20) 
Ambassador to Osiris and TWP (4/3/20 - 7/8/20)
Legislator (1/19/19 - 11/1/21)
Chair of the Assembly (6/23/20 - 9/3/20)
Secretary of State (7/8/20 - 2/4/21 | 6/14/21 - 11/1/21) 
Deputy of Media (2/14/21 - 11/1/21)
Ambassador to TNP and Lazarus  (6/14/21 - 10/22/21)
MoE Leadership (10/14/20 - 11/1/21)

I want to ask you the same question as your opponent:

When the Ministry of Media was first created, there were issues with bias in reporting and, when it came to polling, trying to push a certain narrative. Why should the Ministry of Media be centered on running a newspaper, instead of producing quality media like graphics, government programs, dispatches, etc.? How does a government-run newspaper counteract a tendency towards pro-government bias?

(10-10-2021, 10:57 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: I want to ask you the same question as your opponent:

When the Ministry of Media was first created, there were issues with bias in reporting and, when it came to polling, trying to push a certain narrative. Why should the Ministry of Media be centered on running a newspaper, instead of producing quality media like graphics, government programs, dispatches, etc.? How does a government-run newspaper counteract a tendency towards pro-government bias?

The reason why it should be centered on running a newspaper is for one main reason. Before I begin, I define graphics as the creation of logos, insignias, badges, etc.. When Media was created, it was created with the sole purpose of maintaining the newspaper, with all other functions deemed secondary or of next importance - at least that was how I interpreted it when I was debating it. That was not to say that graphics, however, wouldn't be integrated in. If I was elected, I could just ask Aumel and Amerion real nicely to join Media, and we, if they accepted, would have a graphics team; but Media would still be centered on running the newspaper. The same goes for dispatches, government programs etc.: we could integrate them in, but we would always be centered on running the newspaper. Also, MoM already produces Media in dispatch form Tounge 

In addition, I believe that some of other functions that MoM could take up have already been taken up by other Ministries or other authorities or would be better utilized in. For instance, graphics seems to be wanted by MoC and MoE more than Media does; also, graphics, ever since MoRA has been broken up, and to my knowledge, as been designated to individual authorities (i.e Aumey and Amerion). Since all three do need graphics, but with some needing them more than others, it wouldn't make sense to put graphics into one singular Ministry where now other Ministries would now be dependent on that efficiency of that Ministry. The same goes for the rest of them. 

As for your second point, I tend to counteract that tendency by requesting raiders, Independents, and fierce critics of the TSP government to write articles in the Opinion Section of our paper. Furthermore, I propose this: if a given issue arises between the TSP government and another government, or another government and another government, I would request that an opinion article(s) be written from a 3rd party member(s) - likely from the government that opposes TSP or, in the case of the latter hypothetical, a 3rd party government - that offers their biased critique(s) of the situation.

Just to play devil's advocate here (and because I want to see how this whole argument plays out), are you really addressing issues of pro-government bias if you keep your official articles pro-government and just add opinion pieces on the side? Wouldn't the point be to avoid having your official articles support government initiatives, if the goal really is to be neutral?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(10-11-2021, 02:01 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Just to play devil's advocate here (and because I want to see how this whole argument plays out), are you really addressing issues of pro-government bias if you keep your official articles pro-government and just add opinion pieces on the side? Wouldn't the point be to avoid having your official articles support government initiatives, if the goal really is to be neutral?

Actually, I never stated that the official articles would have a government bias in the first place. I just stated that the official articles and the opinion articles would be separate. I did this because I'm considering making the official pages non-biased, though I'm waiting 'til I can address all of the members of MoM to propose that decision to get their input. Under this, even pro-government papers would be written in the Opinion Section. 

In addition, the question that I responded to was about curbing pro-government bias tendencies, not making them neutral; so the goal was curbing, not total elimination Tounge