We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[COMMUNICATION] Cabinet Inaugural Address, 10/2021

PRESS RELEASE

[Image: v1Wgfs1.png]

Cabinet Inaugural Address, 10/2021

21 October 2021

Fellow South Pacificans,

On behalf of the Cabinet, I'd like to thank the Assembly for the honor and privilege of serving the South Pacific in this upcoming term. Contributing to a community like this one in a position of higher leadership is an opportunity for self-fulfillment by making oneself a part of creating shared conviviality as we all endeavor to collectively strengthen the South Pacific. I personally am delighted for this opportunity, along with the challenges it will inevitably bring.

The South Pacific is currently at a crossroads of our regional development and culture, with each of our Ministries facing unique hurdles they must overcome coming out of the previous term.

Domestically, our Ministries have struggled for sustainable activity and staff engagement. The Ministry of Culture has had difficulty moving staff from planning to execution of events and hasn't built up the capacity to host larger festivals. The Ministry of Media just had a highly successful term, with the timely release of several issues of The Southern Journal, and faces a challenge this term of consolidating those gains to ensure continued timely publications. The Ministry of Engagement has invested the previous three terms into building infrastructure, it is the role of the incoming Minister and their Staff to take that infrastructure and run with it, using it to bring lively new members into the community.

Abroad, our Ministries face more conceptual difficulties of placing ourselves in the growing international defender community. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has done an excellent job deepening these relationships in the past term, primarily through the maturing Partnership for Sovereignty bloc, but needs to think about how to get us past the next hurdles of disseminating our message and establishing a stronger defender foothold in the World Assembly. This work also needs to emphasize the core discussion of our region's broader values as an institutionally-focused democracy, using this to build common interests with other regions. These efforts at spreading our message have been hampered by the recent dysfunction of the Office of WA Legislation, reform and revitalization of which represents a top priority for the upcoming term. The Ministry of Defense faces a challenge of defining and marketing our unique brand as a democratic defender military, as well as expanding our capabilities in coordination with our allies to ensure we can liberate even the largest raider piles.

Despite these challenges, I am incredibly optimistic. I believe the Cabinet which the Assembly has selected is uniquely suited to rise to the challenges currently facing their Ministries and the South Pacific more broadly. Domestically, we are replacing a more experienced set of Ministers with younger ones. However, instead of seeing this as a deficit, I believe it represents a great opportunity for youthful energy to shock slowing Ministry bureaucracies and staffs into action through aggressive planning and direct communication. In Defense, Witchcraft & Sorcery will be an excellent antidote to some of the cultural malaise that befell the SPSF during my tenure, while maintaining the process and infrastructure gains that my term accomplished. Additionally, Witchcraft & Sorcery's plan to expand our pull capacity for liberations will help increase the SPSF's power in the current meta of raiding and defending. For Foreign Affairs, Roavin returning to the Ministry brings with him a wealth of experience, and a calm demeanor to manage challenges in our relationships as they arise.

OWL was a significant challenge in the previous Cabinet, with votes being opened slowly or not at all and recommendations being published late or not at all. For a region which has staked much of its foreign policy on an interregional Security Council voting bloc (the Partnership for Sovereignty), it is unacceptable to have our internal voting infrastructure in such a state of disarray and decay. As a result, I have noted that OWL will be policy priority #1 for me in the upcoming term, and will be involving myself more with the day-to-day operations of OWL than any Ministry. During the transition, I spoke to a variety of potential candidates for the job, some who approached me and others who I approached. After some deliberation, I have decided to appoint @Concrete Slab as the Director of the Office of WA Legislation for this Cabinet term. Concrete Slab was one of the original pioneers of structured WA engagement programs in the South Pacific and we have a shared vision for restructuring OWL's institutions to allow votes to be posted and Recommendations issued with far greater ease. @sandaoguo will also be stepping up as a Senior Staffer with a role in Technology Development, assisting outgoing Director @anjo, and helping build tools specifically designed to support the refined vision for the Office articulated by Director Concrete Slab. It is our goal to have a comprehensive plan for the future functioning of OWL finalized within the first two weeks of the term, moving forward into implementation after that point.

As Prime Minister, it is of vital importance that I have access to institutional memory that I can rely upon in shaping Cabinet policy. For this reason, I am delighted to already have the outgoing Prime Minister as a member of my Cabinet, as well as Roavin who has served many terms in this position in the past. I will also be bringing @Nakari back as a Cabinet Advisor. In the previous term, Nakari's counsel for the Cabinet was invaluable, and I am grateful to have her balanced and conscientious perspective in the Cabinet Office.

As it relates to managing the Cabinet as a whole, my campaign emphasized regular check-ins with Ministers and bi-weekly public "updates" as part of how the Cabinet updates the Assembly and holds itself accountable. The remainder of this Inaugural Address will resemble what the bi-weekly Cabinet Updates I plan to release will look like: a series of bullet points for each Ministry describing (a) what was done in the previous two weeks of the term and (b) what the plans are for the next two weeks of the term. In this initial update, instead of listing activity in the previous part of the term, this update will address the long-term plans for the term in addition to the short-term plans over the next two weeks. This will be in bullet point format to avoid overburdening Ministers or myself in preparing the Cabinet Updates, while still using them as a means to provide public information about executive activities.

Prime Minister @HumanSanity

Goals for the term:
  • Publish bi-weekly "Cabinet updates" threads to keep the public informed and hold Ministers accountable for progress on projects.
  • Reinvigorate activity levels of the staff of the domestic Ministries
  • Move OWL to a sustainable system which can encourage back-and-forth discussion on WA resolutions and release timely recommendations on WA votes.

Goals for the next two weeks:
  • Conduct start of term business -- opening conversations with Ministers, FAC and DAC, etc.
  • Complete the Sunshine Act release for Penguin's Cabinet.
  • Allow TSP to participate in The Liberty Gala in late October
  • Assist the OWL Director in settling on a concrete plan for OWL reform.

Minister of Culture @im_a_waffle1
Goals for the term:
  • Getting the ministry more active and producing more events.
  • Keeping track of and celebrating TSP events. (TSP holidays during my term are Creation Day on Nov 13, Foundation Day on Dec 31, and Delegates Day on Jan 1.)
  • An inter-regional event for winter in December.

• Getting stuff in order in the ministry and assigning roles.
  • Pruning ministry staff and creating a roster to keep track of ministry members
  • Planning events, of course. I plan to have a Halloween event from the 28th-31st.

Minister of Engagement @Tishers [Nyxonia]
Goals for the first portion of the term:
  • Review all existing guides, identify weaknesses and streamline for ease of the reader.
  • Begin work on Helper/Mentor program by identifying candidates and developing program outline.
  • Work towards potential roll-out of a recruiting tool.
  • Discuss roll out of cards program with cards team.

Minister of Foreign Affairs @Roavin
@Qaweritoyu will serve as Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs this term.

Goals for the term:
  • Talk to most if not all regions that we associate with (through an embassy), see how things are going, and in particular address the F/S issue
  • Continue the wiki work
  • Reestablish the socratic environment within the Ministry from my previous term

Goals for the first two weeks:
  • Work with Qaz to (finally) set up some sort of mechanism tracking where we are in our progress with each assigned region
  • Gather some talking points and specific queries regarding F/S
  • Talk to ambassadors Smile

Minister of Media @Floptop
@Rabbitz will serve as Deputy Minister of Media this term.

Goals for this term:
  • Getting more active people in the ministry through recruitment and other methods
  • Getting a piece of media published weekly
  • Running a monthly poll on both the discord and on game side for approval ratings and such
  • Continuing the monthly release of TSJ

• Setting up infrastructure for Weekly Media
  • Organizing the Ministry with spreadsheets to keep track of members and their work
  • Begin work on the next issue of the Southern Journal

Faithfully yours,
HumanSanity
Prime Minister,
on behalf of the Cabinet

[Image: AgbOHUt.png]

Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 10 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • anjo, Arvan Irawer, Concrete Slab, Eflad, Floptop, im_a_waffle1, Jay Coop, Moon, Tishers [Nyxonia], Witchcraft and Sorcery

Am I blind or is defense missing?
Benevolent Thomas-Today at 11:15 AM
"I'm not sure if Altmoras has ever been wrong about anything."

(10-20-2021, 07:34 PM)Altmoras Wrote: Am I blind or is defense missing?
Nope, not blind!

RL events have delayed W&S being able to codify his agenda items for the term. In Cabinet discussions, he explained his priorities are setting up mechanisms for on-site and Discord outreach in order to increase the number of liberators we are able to rally for large liberations, as was explained in his campaign.

Rather than holding back the entire Cabinet agenda until after inauguration, I opted to release it as-is.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

I’ve been very busy with work this week and have posted my initial plans in the cabinet office, but I will elaborate here. Tomorrow I will be mass-pinging legislators as a sort of “test” and introduction to the emergency alert system - basically, preparation and fair warning that as Legislators, they may be asked from time to time if they are available in situations where we need additional WAs.

Behind the scenes, I’ll be sitting down with SPSF officers and generals to develop a protocol for such situations - how we handle questions, Libcord invites, potentially SPSF barracks access and so on. That shouldn’t take too long at least initially, because all Legislators have already been vetted for security purposes.

Longer-term, I want to increase the reach of this emergency alert system to gameside. That will involve the MoE somewhat and I’ll be working closely with Tisha as time progresses regarding the dispatch system.

The one goal of my term though, and what I expect to be judged on, is massively increasing the size and effectiveness of our reserve forces.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 2 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • im_a_waffle1, Tishers [Nyxonia]