We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Amendment to the Elections Act - Allowing Ballots to be Edited

Based on this thread and related discussion on Discord, I figured I'd propose this. This would once again allow edits to ballots for forumside elections.

Elections Act

2. Electoral System

(3) Voters will have the option to cast their vote using either a public or a secret ballot. The method of private voting will be selected by the Election Commission. The method must utilize an unaffiliated account or server, with the method and all votes remaining available for audit. Named ballots are not to be released under any circumstances. Once cast, ballots in forum-based elections may not be altered.

You can find the debate thread for the amendment that made our system no-edits in the first place here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Purple Hyacinth's post:
  • Apatosaurus

Can someone by chance copy/paste the conversation from discord? For reference?
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 

I oppose this for all the reasons I supported the original. Decide who you support before voting, and once cast your vote is set in stone and can’t be bought or sold.

Just because we’ve had relatively quiet elections for a while doesn’t mean all the problems of the past are no longer possible, thus we can go back to how things were done before and not experience those same problems again.

One discord conversation because QuietDad, who is not even an active participant in this region, should not be catalyst to changing our laws yet again. The conservation itself is wasn’t even about editing votes, it was about whether or not “you must write the name exactly as it appears in the OP of the voting thread” is a good idea, which isn’t a matter of law at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sandaoguo's post:
  • Rebeltopia

We've only had this law in place for what ... two elections? Three maybe?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I support this amendment. As I disagree with the amendment that banned editing votes.

I oppose this on the grounds that I still support the prohibition on edited ballots.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Yeah, no. This is a terrible idea. Once a vote is cast, its cast. Id hate to see half a dozen votes tallied, only for the EC to have to go back and tabulate at the end cause they were all changed to make it seem like someone else was going to win (or lose). Lets not make the ECs job harder, and lets not open the door to petty vote switching.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

I'm not quite dead yet. I'm still against this. While I haven't said much in the forums, I still vote and every vote in every election elicits PMs begging/bribing/nicely asking me to reconsider

(12-12-2021, 03:36 PM)QuietDad Wrote: I'm not quite dead yet. I'm still against this. While I haven't said much in the forums, I still vote and every vote in every election elicits PMs begging/bribing/nicely asking me to reconsider

Really? I am quite flabbergasted by this. Is any one else experiencing this?
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 

Nope, haven't gotten a DM yet.

Also very against this amendment for all the reasons others have named. I think it was a good change and while I'd prefer private voting, it was the best compromise we could reach and I'm okay with it.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • QuietDad