We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DRAFT] The Oligarchy Act

I have a proposal to resolve all of TSP's problems and make it the best damn region in NationStates.

The Oligarchy Act
An act to establish a formalised Oligarchy for The South Pacific

1. Provisions

(1) In all forum based elections and Assembly votes each Legislator will be assigned a number of votes on the basis of a Formula identified by The Oligarchy Act.

(2) The Formula shall be laid out in Article 2 of the Oligarchy Act.

(3) A special committee consisting of the current Delegate and all former Delegates will be established called "The Oligarchy".

(4) The Oligarchy may by majority decision choose to assign or remove votes as it see fits from any Legislator, without reference to the Formula.

(5) The Oligarchy may by majority decision remove any elected or appointed official from their post for any reason.

2. Formula

(1) Each legislator shall received one standard vote.

(2) For every year that has passed since the original date a legislator joined The South Pacific they shall receive one additional vote. For every year equal to or greater then ten, another two votes shall be added.

(3) The incumbent Delegate, Prime Minister, Chair of the Assembly and Chief Justice shall receive five additional votes.

(4) Incumbent Cabinet members, the OWL Director, Legislator Committee members, Committee on Regional Security members, Associate Justices and SPSF Generals shall receive two additional votes.

(5) Former Delegates shall receive one additional vote for each time they have been elected to that office.

(6) The Minister of Subversion and Sandwich Making shall receive ten additional votes during months with thirty days, five additional votes during months with thirty-one days, zero additional votes during months with twenty-eight days and one-thousand additional votes during months with twenty-nine days.

3. Constitutional Law

(1) The Oligarchy Act is a constitutional law, and further amendments to it must meet constitutional amendment requirements.

(2) The Oligarchy Act is exempt from the powers of Judicial Review laid out in the Article VIII of the Charter.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Amerion, anjo, Griffindor, Penguin, Purple Hyacinth, QuietDad, Rebeltopia

Hard pass. I don't need an oligarchy cramping my style.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

And they said the perfect bill didn’t exist …
[-] The following 4 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Floptop, Minskiev, Rebeltopia, Ryccia

You're missing a core piece of South Pacifican governance. This region only runs because (1) there are multiple overlapping oligarchies competing for power (2) Tsu allows it. You can't just make "The" Oligarchy, you'll have to cater to at least a few of them to have any chance of this passing.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 4 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Belschaft, QuietDad, Ryccia, Tsunamy

*realises that all months have 28 days, even if some have more than that as well*
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Rebeltopia, Ryccia

(12-12-2021, 09:26 AM)Belschaft Wrote:
The Oligarchy Act
An act to establish a formalised Oligarchy for The South Pacific

1. Provisions

(1) In all forum based elections and Assembly votes each Legislator will be assigned a number of votes on the basis of a Formula identified by The Oligarchy Act.

(2) The Formula shall be laid out in Article 2 of the Oligarchy Act.

(3) A special committee consisting of the current Delegate and all former Delegates will be established called "The Oligarchy".

(4) The Oligarchy may by majority decision choose to assign or remove votes as it see fits from any Legislator, without reference to the Formula.

(5) The Oligarchy may by majority decision remove any elected or appointed official from their post for any reason.

2. Formula

(1) Each legislator shall received one standard vote.

(2) For every year that has passed since the original date a legislator joined The South Pacific they shall receive one additional vote. For every year equal to or greater then ten, another 2 votes shall be added.

(3) The incumbent Delegate, Prime Minister, Chair of the Assembly and Chief Justice shall receive five additional votes.

(4) Incumbent Cabinet members, the OWL Director, Legislator Committee members, Committee on Regional Security members, Associate Justices and SPSF Generals shall receive two additional votes.

(5) Former Delegates shall receive one additional vote for each time they have been elected to that office.

(6) The Minister of Subversion and Sandwich Making shall receive ten additional votes during months with thirty days, five additional votes during months with thirty-one days, zero additional votes during months with twenty-eight days and one-thousand additional votes during months with twenty-nine days.

3. Constitutional Law

(1) The Oligarchy Act is a constitutional law, and further amendments to it must meet constitutional amendment requirements.

(2) The Oligarchy Act is exempt from the powers of Judicial Review laid out in the Article VIII of the Charter.

Just one small addition.
btw, its beautiful <3
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Belschaft, Ryccia

Proposed amendment accepted Rebs.

[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • QuietDad, Rebeltopia

I plan to cast all 22 votes I get this month in favour  Heh

[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Penguin, Ryccia

An Oligarchy........ dear lord.......

If we were actually going to have an oligarchy theme, I would support this model. This actually intrigued me enough to think about future debates in the assembly under this law.

Belschaft, February 29th, 2024, 10:52:18 AM: "Well, I am casting all 1,342 of my votes into dissolving the coalition and making myself supreme ruler of the South Pacific, and who's gonna stop me?"
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17