The South Pacific
[PASSED] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act v.2 - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+----- Thread: [PASSED] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act v.2 (/thread-6828.html)

Pages: 1 2

[PASSED] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act v.2 - Tsunamy - 02-02-2019

A note from the Chair: This post (including the subsequent discussion) was split from an original debate on a similar amendment. The post below by Tsunamy was initially located as post#33 in the original thread.

I'm late to this, but individuals should not be changed to "government officials."

Delegates and the Cabinet can determine to give anyone Communication powers as they see fit (see Article 3 of the Regional Officers Act). As such, changing "individuals" to "government officials" opens a loop hole where the delegate can give someone else "Communication" powers and allow them to campaign for free.

RE: [AT VOTE] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com) - Nakari - 02-02-2019

Quote:
Regional Communications Act

(1) Modes of mass communication covered include
a. Mass Telegrams to the region using Regional Officer powers

2. Mass Communication

(2) Communications to the region shall not
e. deliberately influence a regional election in favour of or against specific candidates 

This should be fine.

RE: [AT VOTE] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com) - Kurnugia - 02-02-2019

(02-02-2019, 11:17 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: I'm late to this, but individuals should not be changed to "government officials."

Delegates and the Cabinet can determine to give anyone Communication powers as they see fit (see Article 3 of the Regional Officers Act). As such, changing "individuals" to "government officials" opens a loop hole where the delegate can give someone else "Communication" powers and allow them to campaign for free.

But if you are delegating powers to someone, wouldn't you be kinda held accountable for the stuff he does? Esp. if it benefits you or someone you like?

RE: [AT VOTE] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com) - Roavin - 02-02-2019

(02-02-2019, 12:47 PM)Nakari Wrote:
Quote:
Regional Communications Act

(1) Modes of mass communication covered include
a. Mass Telegrams to the region using Regional Officer powers

2. Mass Communication

(2) Communications to the region shall not
e. deliberately influence a regional election in favour of or against specific candidates 

This should be fine.

And this one I'll motion.

RE: [AT VOTE] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com) - Seraph - 02-02-2019

And I'll second it. Though I also move to waive the debate time on this new proposal.

RE: [AT VOTE] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com) - Amerion - 02-02-2019

This is an interesting situation.

The amendment (in its previous form) is still at a vote.

While I am open to hearing a second on Seraph's Motion to Waive, as well as any Motion to Vote (and a Second), please be aware that any such vote will not occur until after the amendment vote has concluded. Additionally, if that amendment passes, the text proposed by Nakari will have to be changed to reflect the new reality.

RE: [AT VOTE] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com) - The Sakhalinsk Empire - 02-03-2019

(02-02-2019, 11:17 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: I'm late to this, but individuals should not be changed to "government officials."

May I ask, why is the Delegate granted the power to grant anyone Communications (and other) powers freely anyways? For me, it feels too lax.

RE: [AT VOTE] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com) - Rebeltopia - 02-03-2019

My thought is that if the delegate is granting you RO powers, your now a "government official".

RE: [AT VOTE] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com) - The Sakhalinsk Empire - 02-04-2019

(02-03-2019, 01:55 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: My thought is that if the delegate is granting you RO powers, your now a "government official".

Yes, that is exactly was I was trying to say. I guess I should've been clearer.

RE: [DRAFT] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act (Mass Com... - Amerion - 02-05-2019

As the first vote to amend Articles 1 and 2 of the Regional Communications Act has failed, Legislators are now free to act upon this revised version.

Please note that the posts (beginning with Tsunamy's first post) have been split into this separate thread as it this version may go a separate vote. I will make a note of that in the OP of this thread as well.