We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Reorganization of the Assembly Forums and Archives

(03-22-2019, 12:45 PM)Jebediah Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 06:45 AM)Bzerneleg Wrote: If we were to follow that system, will the code of the original bill be A.LPA?

...I'm assuming this means the original debate thread for the bill. In that case, instead of A.LPA.1, which would look like the first amendment to the bill, we should just do something like "A.LPA.B" B meaning bill. Also, if we go with my other suggestion (using "F" and "P" for fail and pass respectively) then you can distinguish the original bill and an amendment by seeing if it has the last bit in it. 

I think bills and amendments should follow the same format, it should be: A.B.[number of bill].

Why? Because amendments in the Assembly are not really "amendments", they're rather more like "amendment bills". One thing that separates us from RL legislatures is that when we make amendments during the debating process of a bill, we don't vote on it but rather assume that a general consensus has been achieved, and therefore we may move forward with such amended version. That's called an amendment.

When you introduce an amendment as an individual proposal, it is and should be considered as a bill. According to the definition of a "bill" by Merriam-Webster, it says "a draft of a law presented to a legislature for enactment." Thus, I believe bills and amendments should all be using the code (A.B.[number]).

On the question of whether to include the voting results of a bill into the code, I believe it does not really have that much effect if we use the current system or yours. However, I prefer the former as it is simple and easier to view.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DISCUSSION] Reorganization of the Assembly Forums and Archives - by Bzerneleg - 03-23-2019, 05:18 AM