We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DRAFT] [2234.AB] Reviving leave of absence reform

As I pored through the Assembly archives, I found one of my old proposals that had been gathering dust, realizing that I never brought it to a vote. It was a good reform – essentially a prohibition on indefinite leaves of absence. And so, I have decided to bring it back from the dead for an eventual vote.

Legislator Committee Act
An act to establish a commission to manage legislators

3. Legislator Checks

(3) A legislator fails the voting requirement if they are absent for more than half of all votes finished in the previous calendar month, if a minimum of two votes occurred. Legislators who have an approved leave of absence from the Chair shall not be considered absent for votes in the given time frame.

(4) Legislators may request a leave of absence for a definite period of time subject to discretionary approval from the Chair or their deputies. During such time, legislators on a leave of absence are exempt from the voting requirement.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • maluhia

I'm confused on what you're trying to do here. Rewriting laws? Change up wording? Make something more clear? It seems like a mix of the three. You're saying that:

Quote:(4) Legislators may request a leave of absence for a definite period of time subject to discretionary approval from the Chair or their deputies. During such time, legislators on a leave of absence are exempt from the voting requirement.

But isn't that the exact same of what it says here?

(08-21-2022, 06:04 AM)Jay Coop Wrote: (3) A legislator fails the voting requirement if they are absent for more than half of all votes finished in the previous calendar month, if a minimum of two votes occurred. Legislators who have an approved leave of absence from the Chair shall not be considered absent for votes in the given time frame.

So, could you explain what exactly your bill is vying to do for The South Pacific?
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

They are trying to clarify that leaves of absence cannot be indefinite.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • maluhia

(08-21-2022, 11:00 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: They are trying to clarify that leaves of absence cannot be indefinite.

So basically a legislator is exempt from the voting process during the time they said that they are unactive and no other times (unless specified)?
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

(08-21-2022, 09:20 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I'm confused on what you're trying to do here. Rewriting laws? Change up wording? Make something more clear? It seems like a mix of the three. You're saying that:

Quote::OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

But isn't that the exact same of what it says here?

(08-21-2022, 06:04 AM)Jay Coop Wrote: XDDDDDDDDDDD

So, could you explain what exactly your bill is vying to do for The South Pacific?

Comparing synced times my personal request, the intention is, TBH, very obvious.
As is the legalese explanation circumventing the essence
I recall some "laws" called the proscription act and criminal code existing which prevented this during the Coalition but as the rule of law does not apply in the current Oligarchy of the South Pacific
Alternative approaches are used instead but right now I do not have the ethical obligation nor the will to prevent this entire tribute-client system from collapsing on its own stagnation, GL to you though
[-] The following 1 user Likes A bee's post:
  • maluhia

(08-21-2022, 11:06 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 11:00 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: They are trying to clarify that leaves of absence cannot be indefinite.

So basically a legislator is exempt from the voting process during the time they said that they are unactive and no other times (unless specified)?

The goal is to avoid a scenario where (i) someone applied for a leave without an end date and (ii) there is no law to prevent that, therefore (iii) the person would theoretically be forever exempt from all activity requirements, since they’d technically be on an indefinite leave.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • maluhia

This is fine, but we just shouldn’t have LOAs at all. Just reapply. If you’re some government official afraid of losing your position, too bad. It’s not difficult to pull up your phone and vote in a poll.

(08-21-2022, 01:02 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: This is fine, but we just shouldn’t have LOAs at all. Just reapply. If you’re some government official afraid of losing your position, too bad. It’s not difficult to pull up your phone and vote in a poll.

I wholeheartedly agree with this view. It is simply too easy to reapply for Legislator Status if/when you need longer than a few weeks to clear things up.

Though, in the spirit of compromise and recognizing that we humans are busy creatures, I support this simple proposal.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes Griffindor's post:
  • Jebediah

(08-21-2022, 12:00 PM)A bee Wrote: Comparing synced times my personal request, the intention is, TBH, very obvious.

Not everything is about you, darling.

My History

Seeing a lack of further discussion, I motion to vote on this bill.

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • maluhia