We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Leave of absence reform

I have introduced a reform that prohibits indefinite LoA.

Amendment to the Legislator Committee Act Wrote:
Legislator Committee Act
An act to establish a commission to manage legislators

3. Legislator Checks

(3) A legislator fails the voting requirement if they are absent for more than half of all votes finished in the previous calendar month, if a minimum of two votes occurred. Legislators who have an approved leave of absence from the Chair shall not be considered absent for votes in the given time frame.

(4) Legislators may request a leave of absence for a definite period of time subject to discretionary approval from the Chair or their deputies. During such time, legislators on a leave of absence are exempt from the voting requirement.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • North Prarie, USoVietnam

Support.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

(08-29-2020, 08:40 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I have introduced a reform that prohibits indefinite LoA.
Legislator Committee Act

3. Legislator Checks

(3) A legislator fails the voting requirement if they are absent for more than half of all votes finished in the previous calendar month, if a minimum of two votes occurred. Legislators who have an approved leave of absence from the Chair shall not be considered absent for votes in the given time frame.(4) Legislators may request a leave of absence for a definite period of time pending discretionary approval from the Chair or their deputies. During such time, legislators on a leave of absence are exempt from the voting requirement.

(5) The Chair may revoke their approval of a legislator's leave of absence, provided that said legislator is given at least 72 hours advanced notice.

Why? What does an infinite LoA do?

Beside, if the Chair feels like it they don't have to approve the LoA. They already have this power. If an LoA is "approved" it shouldn't be able to be revoked at will. In fact, this proposal is ripe for abuse of power. Want to get rid of someone? "Approve" their leave, then immediately revoke it. If the people is legitimately on vacation, well, too damn bad.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Qaweritoyu

Personally I think it's reasonable to state that LoAs can't be indefinite, since that would just be being a legislator without the voting requirements, but I do agree with Tsunamy that allowing the CoA to revoke LoAs isn't a great idea.

Well, personally, I generally do know when I am going and when I am coming back but I don't assume everyone does. What if an emergency comes up and someone doesn't know how long they will be away?

Secondly, I'm not being funny but when I am leaving LoAs, I know according to legislation, I am technically asking for leave but in my head, I'm not asking for leave, I'm telling the Chair, firmly, I will not be around during these times and if the Chair does not approve, I would likely not care in the slightest, go anyway and then rain down all hell on them when I get back and have been removed. I would not be even slightly impressed if my LoA was revoked, considered to do so is for the Chair to basically say, we don't care about your life, we expect you to be here and that is simply not possible 100% of the year, certainly not.

So, all the above taken into account, I am only one person, how many more share my view? Think about it.

Yunno, I agree with Qaz on this. Yes LoA is technically part of the laws but really, it more of "show" because like,  if your LoA is rejected, ur not gonna stop everything you are doing irl just to wait until you get your LoA approved.
swifty
Nation: Imperial Dodo
Discord Tag: swiftygamer#1448

[Image: K732CSn.png][Image: IL1nUV5.png][Image: iEwICrf.png][Image: 5bDBXB8.png]
[Image: q6bfWoR.png] [Image: vJjA98X.png]
Other Achievements/Roles:
- Minister of Culture (October 2020 - February 2021)
- SPSF Tidal Force Coordinator (April 2021 - Present)
- Deputy Chair of the Assembly (September 2020 - October 2020)
- MoM Member (October 2020 - Present)
- MoE Member (October 2020 - Present)
- Cabinet Advisor (August 2020 - October 2020)
- A TSP Legislator (July 2020 - Present)
- SPSF Soldier (June 2020 - Present)
- Ambassador to South Pacific (August 2020 - October 2020)
- Ambassador to The League (April 2021 - Present)
- Local Council Candidate (July/August 2020)
- Chair of the Assembly Candidate (September 2020)
- The MasterMind behind SPSFphoenixcoup2020
- The Loyal Servant of Goddess Phoenix
- The Most Active Member of OWL
- A very cute bear on the outside but on the inside, well, no one knows...

I would be against this. There are certain things (health, whether mental or physical, or difficult life situations etc.) And, an indefinite LoA ends when a nation CTEs or the person who made the request is back.

Honestly, this is something that is best left at the chair's discretion. Obviously can't be given willy-nilly, but definitey not something we should do away with.
Fire Fire Fire Empress of Fire  Fire Fire Fire
Current Minister of Military Affairs
Chair Perch of the Assembly (February to June 2020)
SPSF Soldier
MoRA Fellow
Ambassador to Forest and Lazarus

Honestly, I don't think LoA's should be more than a month or two anyway. When you come back from a more than two month LoA, just reapply for legislator status.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

(08-29-2020, 09:25 PM)Tsunamy Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 08:40 PM)Jay Coop Wrote: I have introduced a reform that prohibits indefinite LoA.
Legislator Committee Act

3. Legislator Checks

(3) A legislator fails the voting requirement if they are absent for more than half of all votes finished in the previous calendar month, if a minimum of two votes occurred. Legislators who have an approved leave of absence from the Chair shall not be considered absent for votes in the given time frame.(4) Legislators may request a leave of absence for a definite period of time pending discretionary approval from the Chair or their deputies. During such time, legislators on a leave of absence are exempt from the voting requirement.

(5) The Chair may revoke their approval of a legislator's leave of absence, provided that said legislator is given at least 72 hours advanced notice.

Why? What does an infinite LoA do?

Beside, if the Chair feels like it they don't have to approve the LoA. They already have this power. If an LoA is "approved" it shouldn't be able to be revoked at will. In fact, this proposal is ripe for abuse of power. Want to get rid of someone? "Approve" their leave, then immediately revoke it. If the people is legitimately on vacation, well, too damn bad.

Tsu! How dare you accuse the Chair of abusing their powers! We all know that because the current Chair would never do such a thing, we shouldn’t question the Chair’s power. We should have trust in our institutions!
This says a lot more about us then it does about the merits of leaves of absence.
Right?
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

Support