We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Milograd Parole Ruling

Parole Board 
-of-
The South Pacific

Arbiter08 (Chair of the CSS)
Gustave Berr (Chief Justice of the High Court)
Unibot (Chair of the Assembly)

On November 16th, 2014 the Parole Board of The South Pacific met to discuss the parole application submitted by Milograd, pertaining to the ban he received for his coup of The South Pacific in April of 2013. The discussion was driven by the criteria defined in Article 7, Clause 3 of the Code of Laws.

Quote:3. The special parole board may decide to grant parole to convicts, provided a majority of its members support this motion; this decision should consider the security of the region and the genuine willingness of the convict to reform their behavior.

Security:

Since receiving his ban from The South Pacific, Milograd faithfully served as Delegate of Lazarus and did so partially in efforts to show a change of character. Based on his work in Lazarus, the Parole Board found Milograd to no longer a security threat to The South Pacific.

Behavior Reform:

The Parole Board cited Milograd's Delegacy of Lazarus as partially sufficient grounds for showing a reformation of behavior, as well. In addition, Milograd showed an effort to make amends with The South Pacific before the option of Parole even existed. Based on these reasons, the Parole Board found Milograd shows a genuine willingness to reform behavior. 

For these reasons, the Parole Board has unanimously ruled in favor of granting Milograd Parole, lifting his ban and allowing him to reside in The South Pacific. After six months of residency Milograd may apply for citizenship. If the Parole Board feels, at any time, that Milograd has become a security threat, or they feel Milograd is not contributing to The South Pacific in a positive way, the Parole Board may revoke Parole by a Majority Vote.
United States of Kalukmangala

Former High Court Justice

(11-18-2014, 03:28 AM)Gustave Berr Wrote: Since receiving his ban from The South Pacific, Milograd faithfully served as Delegate of Lazarus and did so partially in efforts to show a change of character. Based on his work in Lazarus, the Parole Board found Milograd to no longer a security threat to The South Pacific.

Would to Parole Board like to clarify how they know this assertion to be true?

I ask because I think such additional guidance might be helpful to future parole boards.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Can't wait to be posting with the person who betrayed this regions trust more than anyone in NS and made a mockery at his chance for a fair trial.
The 16th Delegate of The South Pacific

Well done, Parole Board. The region's worst convicted felon just got a free pass after serving less than 20 months of his lifetime sentence.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

I actually agree with the Parole Board. Having one means that the point of our judiciary is rehabilitation, instead of punishment. If Milograd is sincere and this is a good faith effort to make amends with us, I think he should be given a chance. If he proves his intentions are different, the Board can revoke his parole.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(11-18-2014, 11:32 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I actually agree with the Parole Board. Having one means that the point of our judiciary is rehabilitation, instead of punishment. If Milograd is sincere and this is a good faith effort to make amends with us, I think he should be given a chance. If he proves his intentions are different, the Board can revoke his parole.

While I'm hesitant to get into a discussion on this -- especially here -- but, the problem with Milo is that there was no warning prior to his actions. He didn't run on a platform of "I'm going to call everyone and oligarchy and start ejecting people from the region" and, there is little reason to think he would show his hand again.

I'll be interested to hear how the Parole Board came to this conclusion above. Certainly, we know Milo's word doesn't mean much and, moreover, I find it hard to logic that service to another region should have any bearing on how he would treat this region.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I don't ever think this region can trust the sincerity of Milograd ever again. If anything, he proved that he is the least sincere person in the history of the region.

I agree with the idea of parole board and the theory behind what Kris posted, but I believe that does not apply to Milo due to both the severity of his crime, the deception involved, and the mockery he made at his own trial.
The 16th Delegate of The South Pacific

I understand your opposition to the parole, I remember all too well how the Coup was, and back then I was a newcomer, so I it surely left a bigger impression in you guys, since you knew him the longest. However, I need to point out that neither the severity of the crime nor the circumstances of conviction are the criteria that the Parole Board is asked to consider.

The Board had to take into account his status as a security threat and his behaviour since conviction. I think we can all agree that Milograd simply isn't a security threat anymore, and the actual nation of Milograd even ceased to exist a while ago. In terms of his behaviour, it is also obvious that Milograd is not someone who makes a habit out of couping, or hasn't shown regret. His actions in Lazarus are relevant because they show a willingness to positively contribute in a community. Since no one had any way of knowing that we would create the figure of parole, we can see that this was not a self-interested attempt at coming back.

I also want to point out that this parole doesn't really give him back his citizenship or allow him to join the government. The only thing that happened is his ban was reversed. He is still a convicted criminal and cannot get citizenship in this region, unless the Parole Board seems it appropriate in the future.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Kris put it perfectly: Court Rulings are not just punishments; they are efforts to rehabilitate individuals. Likewise, Parole is an opportunity for Milograd to show everyone that he has changed. Also, Parole simply grants him the ability to reside in TSP. If he even wants to think about citizenship, he will have to wait six months, and he cannot gain citizenship unless the Parole Board feels he has been positively contributing to and for TSP. Not just not trying to coup again, or just sitting around waiting for the six month period to end, but actually positively contributing to the region.

To use what happened in the past as criteria for Parole is just simply incorrect. The past is no way to judge the present and be informed about the future -- the past does not show change or growth.
United States of Kalukmangala

Former High Court Justice

Despite his actions during the coup, he does deserve a second chance and he hasn't couped anyone since his sentence. I think he has changed since then and that should be the most relevant at this point, rather than focus on past actions.