We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

SPINN Panel Discussion 01

Political Panel Discussion 01

HEM: "Okay, so first topic: On a scale of 1 - 10, (with 10 being the best) how would you gauge the health of the region at the moment, and why?"

ProfessorHenn: "Ooh. A toughie, to be sure. I'd have to say it's at a nice 6. Considering the hell from the past 2 terms, it has to be bumped lower, but the result from the Cabinet this term is filling up any gap left by the last one."

Kris Kringle: "The hell from the past two terms?"

Andrew: "10 - Its one of the greatest, if not the greatest, democracies in the game. And not many people dislike the drama of politics in democracy's, in my opinion."

HEM: "I guess the question wasn't 'How great in TSP', it was 'in how great of shape is TSP in?'"

ProfessorHenn: "TNI treaty, Euro conferences"

Andrew: "dats still my answer mainly since i dont wanna type this late at night"

Kris Kringle: "Two FA events that we didn't cause and whose consequences weren't entirely under our control do not make the past two terms a hell"

ProfessorHenn: "Farengeto and Gustave Berr's Terms of MoRAs weren't exactly active. Mine was slightly better, but was more of a setup for yours."

Kris Kringle: "I would go with an 8. We are good, active and mostly civil in our discussions. Still, we can always improve, and integration and citizen mentoring is something that we need to work on."

HEM: "Very interesting! How could you rate the Tsunamy administration specifically?"

ProfessorHenn: "I can't say now. It's too early in the term to really know how much of an impact he can/has made, among other things."

Kris Kringle: "Based on its public performance? Or based on what I might know about the Cabinet so far?"

HEM: "Based on whatever you want Tounge "

Kris Kringle: "Overall I would rate it with a 7. Tsunamy is a very engaged Delegate, full of ideas and always ready to learn. That, and (if I can say so myself) the strong Cabinet he leads, compensate for his relative lack of experience in actual governing. I say a 7 and not 8-10 because, as Henn said, the term is only in its first month, so all the time so far has been him getting set up in his new position, so I think he will prove to be much better in the coming months."

HEM: "As a Cabinet member, Kringle, does the government have plans to try to stimulate activity in the region?"

Kris Kringle: "I'm glad that you brought that up. It so happens that we do have some plans for that. Now, at the Cabinet level, our discussions have focused so far on our foreign affairs agenda, but I have talked a lot with Tsu about stimulating activity in the region. If you have noticed, he is taking some small steps to promote interest in WA membership, with some RMB announcements. We intend to have a larger campaign to promote just that, but so far he has been great with taking the initiative on the RMB."

HEM: "And how do you guys theorize that this initiative will help overall activity?"

Kris Kringle: "I have tried to do as much in terms of RMB activity with the trivia game, which will get better and more organised now that I have Llamas as Director of Quiz and Trivia. Since this is only at the stage of RMB announcements, not much. What I think is key here is starting to created awareness among those frequenting the RMB.

I had some brief discussions with Eluvatar a few weeks ago, and he was interested in getting a few people together, to come up with a strategy to promote WA participation in the region. That hasn't been on top of the agenda so far, but it's on the list, probably for January-February."

HEM: "Next question: What do you guys think is the most critical thing we need to address this term?"

ProfessorHenn: "Foreign Affairs."

HEM: "What do you, specifically, see as areas of concerns Henn?"

ProfessorHenn: "I don't really see anything specific, but this is a nagging feeling at me that we need to work on Foreign Affairs. Also, Osiris is in Pharoah elections right now, and there may be a chance for improved Osi-TSP relations depending on who's elected."

Kris Kringle: "I think both foreign affairs *and* regional affairs are critical areas at this point."

ProfessorHenn: "The MoRA comes in a close second however, and I mean Secretariat close."

HEM: "Is there anything you would like to see in MoRA?"

ProfessorHenn: "An improved WA endo campaign."

Kris Kringle: "We have seen so many changes to our foreign policy this year, and this term is about consolidating our policy and enhancing it. Tsu and Raven are doing a great job reaching out to our allies and getting closer to them."

Tsunamy:
" Happywide "

ProfessorHenn: "Hail Tsubany."

Kris Kringle: o/

Tsunamy: \o/

Kris Kringle: "With regional affairs, I think it is a critical area because we need to ensure that the surge in activity in the last few weeks can be sustained. We can't have an entirely self-sustainable region, but our activity is getting better, and we can't let it fall."

ProfessorHenn:
"At this point, our WA endorsement count is not as high as it could be, and I hope that it increases with time."

Tsunamy: "But I've certainly been trying all I can with WA members"

Kris Kringle: "Henn: I did mention future efforts for a more comprehensive WA campaign, earlier in the discussion. I haven't had time to talk with Elu, but I want to next month."

ProfessorHenn: "We could take up a few tips from TNP, as they have stupidly high WA endorsement counts."

Tsunamy: "Yeah ... but they aren't sure why, exactly."

Tsunamy: "I did talk to Elu"

HEM: "Kringle, it seems like there are quite a few good things in the pipe works in MoRA, but are you concerned that not much has happened as of yet?"

Kris Kringle: "That is a good question, HEM. Let me tell you, actually I am not concerned. For one simple reason: We all know that for a long time, MoRA has been the Minister and maybe one or two Deputies, doing all the work. When I took office as Minister, I have a good number of people who signed up as Fellows, and this first month has been about getting them assigned to different projects, appointing Project Directors and making sure that we agree on what we expect of every team. Of course, most of this is behind closed doors, hence why I have it as my objective to keep releasing Ministry Reports, but my point is that, given how the Ministry has been before, we now have a functioning and relatively large staff. So things are actually happening. You just can't see it yet. Wink "

ProfessorHenn: "Compare it to when Escade took the Office."

Kris Kringle: "Haha. It was her as Minister and myself as Deputy."

ProfessorHenn:
"On the subject of WAs once more, apologizes if this was against plan."

HEM: "No, go ahead."

ProfessorHenn: "TNP's WA Development Program states that "we encourage WA nations to collect and maintain large endorsement counts. You heard it right, it's time to start endotarting!""

Kris Kringle: "Yes it does."

ProfessorHenn: "Instead of an official endorsement limit, as long as a nation doesn't get to within about 50of the Vice Delegate, nations are free to endotart to their hearts content. This is good in practice, as TNP has shown, and TSP could/need(depends on whose point of view you're looking from) a program similar. Is the government planning on something similar? (A yes or a no is all I want)."

Kris Kringle: "I will point out at this point that doing away with the endorsement cap is not a decision to be taken likely, and is something that has to go through the Committee for State Security. The CSS at this time has no plans to change the cap."

Tsunamy: "I think the endo limit is fine where it is since our endors are so low. But, if we can build endos, I think upping it would be good."

ProfessorHenn:
"Indeed, and the endorsement limit can stay for now."

Tsunamy:
"Honestly, I've been seeing a bit of an increase in endorsements...not huge. But I'm at 231. It's a slow growth."

ProfessorHenn: "But I believe if we can find a way to push tsu above 300, then the adoption of endotarting is feasible."

Kris Kringle: "230 is actually a good number, in the context of this year, and recent times. Sure, it can be increased, but when I was Delegate my lowest count was 190s, so you are not *that* bad."

Tsunamy: "Def.  I was at 220 when I overtook you. I'm happy with it.  But I've been watching it slowly rise. So I'm optimistic."

Kris Kringle: "For reference, my highest count was 250s."

Tsunamy: "Ohhhh."

ProfessorHenn: "Like I said, 300 is a number to push for."

Tsunamy: "Back in the day -- all regions had TNP numbers."

ProfessorHenn: "I actually think we should host a huge festival if we can get and hold tsu at or above 300 endorsements for a few updates."

Tsunamy:
"Ohhh. I like it."

ProfessorHenn: "We can invite our allies, make some cool badges. You know, a festival. And I say a few updates to at least make sure it's not an outside army just trying to make us feel good about ourselves. Your thoughts, Kringle?"

Kris Kringle: "I don't really like to share my thoughts about MoRA ideas that have been proposed just now."

HEM: "Finally: Former Minister of Sandaoguo reformed the Ministry to disband the ambassador corp. Now, however, it appears that the Ministry has little day-to-day work. Do you think the decision was a good long term strategy, and do you see future changes in MoFA structure?"

ProfessorHenn: "No comment to your question."

Kris Kringle: "I think it was the right call to disband the Foreign Service. It was boring and more trouble for the Minister than it was worth. When I was Minister, searching for ambassadors and having them distribute updates was most of my job, and it was boring.

That said...

I believe Raven does want to have a couple of deputies and envoys, for specific situations. I think that would be interesting, if they are appointed based on the existence of an actual need."

Tsunamy: "I think the way Raven has been appointing deputies has a lot of potential."

HEM: "Alrighty folks, that's all from our panel tonight! Thank you all so much, and have a good night!"
Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.

I'm not sure why there should be any interest in jump starting relations with Osiris. They're basically a backwater region at this point. Their allies are our rivals, as well.

As for the diplomatic corps, the idea was always to have deputies for specific things. I just never felt the need. I was more comfortable handling things myself, because I didn't see any particular talent in the region. I think we've gotten some people with FA experience and drive, so it makes sense that Raven has appointed some deputies. I'm not sure appointing deputies based on their ideologies is the greatest idea in FA, but I guess time will tell.

Quote:I was more comfortable handling things myself, because I didn't see any particular talent in the region

This is kind of...negative, don't you think?

Thank goodness we had you, the sole competent FA Master in the region Tounge
Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.

I guess it depends on what objective the Minister has with hiring deputies. If he wants to teach then there is a lot of potential talent, not so much if he wants people who already know how to perform or finds that he can do the job himself. Interestingly enough, Raven himself has appointed deputies with extensive experience, rather than one of our newer citizens, so that reveals something about the priorities and specific needs of each Minister.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

There's a difference between sayin' he found he could do it himself, which he didn't quite, and sayin' he didn't see any particular talent in the region, which he did, especially considerin' he only won his second reelection by the most simple of majorities. If anything, the appointment of Raven's deputies show there was plenty of know how in the region before and turning his terms in office.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Not really. Eluvatar only recently reapplied for citizenship, same with Hileville. Raven has appointed deputies who were not in the region during most of Glen's tenure as Minister, rather than people who were already here.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(12-30-2014, 05:11 AM)God-Emperor Wrote: There's a difference between sayin' he found he could do it himself, which he didn't quite, and sayin' he didn't see any particular talent in the region, which he did, especially considerin' he only won his second reelection by the most simple of majorities.  If anything, the appointment of Raven's deputies show there was plenty of know how in the region before and turning his terms in office.

Yeah, there wasn't very much talent here when it came to foreign affairs. I stand by that statement, because it's true. The only people in the region who had decent experience in foreign affairs -- and I mean political experience, not just writing FA updates -- were those who were actively opposed to me being MoFA in the first place. The only person who I really would have considered experienced and compatible with me is Kris, and he was Delegate (and, not coincidentally, very involved in foreign affairs during my tenure).

If this region had a deep bench in foreign affairs, it probably wouldn't have elected Raven. It is very rare for this region to elect somebody who basically came out of nowhere and wasn't really involved before the elections. The lack of experienced candidates made Raven the only acceptable choice in this last election. If Eluvatar, Hileville, HEM, or even Belschaft, had been in TSP and been active before the elections, and ran against Raven, I doubt he would have won. But Eluvatar and Hileville had only recently applied for citizenship. HEM was inactive here, and Belschaft was disgraced.

If Eluvatar had been involved in TSP during my tenure, I probably would have brought him on as a deputy. Alas, he wasn't here, and neither was anybody else with his level of experience. The one deputy I ever appointed immediately ran for High Court.

Can we try to lighten this up just bit? I don't think we need to rehash what GR did as MoFA, especially since this entire discussion seems to be coming at the degradation of the region.

As I said previously, I like the way Raven went about appointing deputies at the moment because it shows a means to attend to different segments of our FA.

That said, regions don't continue to have active participants unless people are given an opportunity to learn. To simply say that we didn't have people with enough "talent," misses the point of mentorship and teaching.

Taking this perspective to its logical conclusion would require anyone wanting to be involved in foreign affairs to go elsewhere for the experience since we've essentially closed all doors to gaining that experience in the region.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

It's easy to say that MoFA should be mentoring people, but far harder to actually figure out what that means in practice. I didn't gain FA experience from being mentored. I gained it by being interested in Gameplay politics, becoming a well-known figure in the NS Gameplay forum (by basically arguing), and having convictions about foreign affairs (which helped with that arguing).

You can't mentor those things into people. You can teach them how to write FA updates, how to write treaties, who to send those things to, and all that stuff, but that is not the kind of experience I was looking for at all, nor do I think that's what makes somebody good MoFA either. (And I don't think it's the kind of experience Raven was looking for, either, given his appointments.) If somebody is already interested in Gameplay politics, then it's easy to take them under your wing, and that's mostly just including them in political discussions and basically rubbing off your own politics onto them. I doubt that's what many people think MoFA mentoring is or should be, though.

(12-30-2014, 02:02 PM)Sandaoguo Wrote: It's easy to say that MoFA should be mentoring people, but far harder to actually figure out what that means in practice. I didn't gain FA experience from being mentored. I gained it by being interested in Gameplay politics, becoming a well-known figure in the NS Gameplay forum (by basically arguing), and having convictions about foreign affairs (which helped with that arguing).

You can't mentor those things into people. You can teach them how to write FA updates, how to write treaties, who to send those things to, and all that stuff, but that is not the kind of experience I was looking for at all, nor do I think that's what makes somebody  good MoFA either. (And I don't think it's the kind of experience Raven was looking for, either, given his appointments.) If somebody is already interested in Gameplay politics, then it's easy to take them under your wing, and that's mostly just including them in political discussions and basically rubbing off your own politics onto them. I doubt that's what many people think MoFA mentoring is or should be, though.

So then what is your suggestion, exactly? And we throw our hands up and say that the only way we're going to get someone good at foreign affairs is by the grace of God?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]