We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Escade's Legal Questions

Being honest here, none of them qualify as legal questions but a couple of them were close enough to qualify that I invoked court procedure so we would stop getting swarmed with these questions.

I think it ought to be more of a Q&A thing, but we can adopt these answers as provisional protocol until such time where the Court Charter thing I've been floating around is passed into law.

(02-10-2015, 01:06 AM)Awe Wrote: I think it ought to be more of a Q&A thing, but we can adopt these answers as provisional protocol until such time where the Court Charter thing I've been floating around is passed into law.

Hi Awe,

Can you provide me a copy of the draft court charter or a link to it? I would be really interested in it! Angel

(02-09-2015, 08:20 PM)Farengeto Wrote: Being honest here, none of them qualify as legal questions but a couple of them were close enough to qualify that I invoked court procedure so we would stop getting swarmed with these questions.

Do we need to start a court thread looking at the questions and dealing with them quickly? While they weren't legal questions they do raise some interesting administrative points worth discussing. Angel

(02-10-2015, 07:25 PM)Hopolis Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 08:20 PM)Farengeto Wrote: Being honest here, none of them qualify as legal questions but a couple of them were close enough to qualify that I invoked court procedure so we would stop getting swarmed with these questions.

Do we need to start a court thread looking at the questions and dealing with them quickly? While they weren't legal questions they do raise some interesting administrative points worth discussing. Angel

Well they aren't legal questions in the context of the court system (which involves the interpretation of our laws). Conducting legal questions procedure here is useless too, since that deals with discussion on the interpretation of our laws. We have no relevant laws or procedures so the court's only proper action is the dismissal of the legal question.

(02-10-2015, 07:52 PM)Farengeto Wrote:
(02-10-2015, 07:25 PM)Hopolis Wrote:

Do we need to start a court thread looking at the questions and dealing with them quickly? While they weren't legal questions they do raise some interesting administrative points worth discussing.  Angel

Well they aren't legal questions in the context of the court system (which involves the interpretation of our laws). Conducting legal questions procedure here is useless too, since that deals with discussion on the interpretation of our laws. We have no relevant laws or procedures so the court's only proper action is the dismissal of the legal question.

As far as I can see there are actually 2 separate issues here. One is the dismissal of Escade's questions as legal questions (broadly on board with that) but the other is the hole in our procedures around the issues they raise. For example, where in our procedures does it say we deal with cases chronologically? Or not? My concern is that without clarification on these points somewhere (here? the assembly?) it runs the risk of making the court's decision-making look opaque.