We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Elections and Citizenship Applications

There has been a lot of discussion about the citizenship applications on hold.

When I was vice delegate I remember having similar discussions and think that a two week period of putting applications on hold happened. 

Since there is so much discussion at the moment, would it make sense to add this waiting period to the elections laws?

Or clarify the appropriate period of time?

This is the current point in law:

4. Citizenship applications submitted during election periods will not be processed. In the event that a citizenship application has been submitted prior to the election but not yet processed, the current Vice Delegate may process the application during the election period.

Perhaps it should be revised to:

4. Citizenship applications submitted during election periods, specified as being 7-14 days before the beginning of an election cycle,  will not be processed. In the event that a citizenship application has been submitted prior to the election but not yet processed, the current Vice Delegate may process the application during the election period.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

I honestly believe we should go back to the wording we used before limiting those who can run and vote in an election.

Quote:All citizens who have held citizenship for a minimum of seven days prior to the start of an election cycle shall be eligible to run and vote in the election.

EDIT: The intention when that language was adopted was to allow apps to still be processed but not permit anyone within a 7 day period to run or vote in hopes of preventing vote stacking.

My only objection to the text Hile proposes is some people would be masked as citizens but not be allowed to vote, which would complicate the EC's job. I think it would be easier to suspend applications 7 days prior to an election cycle.

The other option might be to use the Resident mask on citizens who were accepted within those 7 days, and then remask them as citizens?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Yes, I remember the vote stacking discussion which is why the delay was incorporated in the first place. I think keeping it 7-14 days gives the VD a decent time frame and prevents nonsense such as people trying to sue the VD for the exact number of days.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

I would rather have a set amount of days to prevent any possible conflicts. Say the VD doesn't mind person X who applied 10 days before the election but dislikes person Y who applied 9 days before the election. The VD freezes apps 9 days before the election because of it.

Well maybe the VD chooses a time frame and abides by it before the period starts? Like they make an announcement in thread stating that applications are now on hold for everyone for a number between 7 to 14 days? I mean I hope we can trust our VDs with that much.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Possible wording for discussion.

Quote:4. Citizenship applications will not be processed during election periods including the 7 days immediately before an election. submitted during election periods will not be processed. In the event that a citizenship application has been submitted prior to the election but not yet processed, the current Vice Delegate may process the application during the election period.

5.  In the event that an application has not been processed for a period of 7 days the applicant will be considered a Citizen.  Applications filed during an election cycle may be processed during the 7 days immediately following the conclusion of the cycle.

10. If the Vice Delegate position is vacant or the Vice Delegate is temporarily unavailable, the Cabinet may designate a member to perform the above duties.

This will freeze applications 7 days before an election as well as adding a clause to ensure timely processing of all applications.  Also allows for another member of the Cabinet to process apps if the VD is on leave.

No to point 5. That is ridiculous.

Instead:

10. If the Vice Delegate position is vacant or the Vice Delegate is temporarily unavailable for more then a 5 day period to process applications, the Cabinet may designate a member to perform the above duties.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(03-16-2015, 09:59 PM)Escade Wrote: No to point 5. That is ridiculous.

Instead:

10. If the Vice Delegate position is vacant or the Vice Delegate is temporarily unavailable for more then a 5 day period to process applications, the Cabinet may designate a member to perform the above duties.

It really isn't ridiculous. It is unfair to allow applications to just simply not be processed. 7 days is more than enough time to go through the motions of a Citizenship application.

EDIT: Think about it for a second. If you are new to NS and applying on the forums and 10 days have passed since you applied would you really want to stick around?

It is ridiculous because let's say the VD is sick or has some RL catastrophe and can't process applications because sometimes real life issues don't naturally resolve within a 7 day period. Anyone who applies, including multi-ing or people who might be considered security risks, are automatically citizens?

It's a ridiculously bad loophole that leads to bizarre situations. Considering that in TSP the precedent has often been that VDs have gone inactive sometimes for more then 7 days, even if they shouldn't, that makes it more likely to be a loophole that finds abuse.

Instead, it can be that upon request or appeal "the Cabinet must appoint a member to take over an inactive VD's responsibilities if more then 10 days have passed and applications are not processed."

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest